Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a helmet / goggles combo please

Poster: A snowHead
My helmet is a bit battered and bruised and I'm not 100% happy with the performance of my goggles, so I'm in the market for a new combo.

My current goggles are ok (Uvex) and I have a Red helmet.

My gripes on current set up are:-

None really on the helment except that the goggles fall off the front and just hang down if I'm carrying the helmet by the strap (there is just a clip to keep the googles on at the back, but nothing on the sides)

The goggles freeze up on the inside if it's mega cold (minus 35 with wind chill), do they all do this?

The goggles claim to be antifog but when I put my face mask over my mouth or sweat then they fog up which is a PITA

The googles in flat light aren't great (my friend has a pair of Smiths and they were much clearer)

HELP! I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I really like the look of the Casco helmets but have no idea whether they are good or not.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trainee snowboard jedi, "helmet that fits your head and goggles that fit the helmet" has to be the first criterion. Sorry to be so dull. Go try some on.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, not sure about the burr walnut effect - makes you look like a conker.
I'll recommend POC helmets to anyone who'll listen - been using a skull lite for a while now and i've found it the business. Check for fit as always... Got Oakley goggles which fit nicely, but then I use OTG goggles. POC do their own line in eyeware/protection which teams very nicely with their lids.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

trainee snowboard jedi, "helmet that fits your head and goggles that fit the helmet" has to be the first criterion.

There is your answer! Spot on dobby, Have a look at the POC combo above or Salomon Helmet and own brand googles are desigend to fit perfictly an Oakley combo will generally sit well to.

Happy shopping.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

None really on the helment except that the goggles fall off the front and just hang down if I'm carrying the helmet by the strap (there is just a clip to keep the googles on at the back, but nothing on the sides)

I have a RED helmet, lost my old goggles in a bar due to this+booze carelessness.

On the plus side:

trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

The goggles claim to be antifog but when I put my face mask over my mouth or sweat then they fog up which is a PITA

The googles in flat light aren't great (my friend has a pair of Smiths and they were much clearer)

the goggles I lost were fogging up on the inside all the time, and generally a bit meh. So I had an excuse to replace them.

I've found the ear pieces of red helmets come out a bit easy, too...

Anyway - helmet that you like enough to wear is slightly better than a helmet that fits perfectly but has bunny ears so you never wear it. So get one that fits AND you like the look of (enough to wear).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I recently bought a Smith Vantage helmet and Smith I/O goggles, and used them for the first time yesterday. They are designed to fit snugly together and there are special vents in the helmet to aid fog clearing. They worked a treat yesterday in fairly poor conditions, and as it was hard work at times I was fairly sweaty but the goggles stayed clear.

It is the first helmet I've owned so can't really compare, but it was the only one I tried that seemed to fit me perfectly, and doesn't seem huge on my head - I have a big head so it is tricky to find a good fit snowHead It is really lightweight and is also well-vented, and these can be closed on colder or snowy days.

The goggles also come with two lenses, one for mid to poor light, the other for bright sun. They seem very good so far, maybe not quite as good in poor light as a cheapo pair of yellow goggles I've had for ages though, but next time I'll take both old and new and compare directly.

The one downside is the price, but Smith do cheaper models that are also perfect fit with the goggles. I did try those on, but this one seemed to fit me so much better, and the lightweightness and venting means that I'll be happier wearing it in the depths of winter and on warm spring days. It only has a clip in the back for the goggles, in common with most helmets I reckon. Couldn't you try some kind of velcro attachment on the sides?

Whatever you do, try it on in a shop before you buy as comfort and fit are the most important things. And wear your ski jacket or fleece - when I first went shopping for one I was in my office clothing and it felt and looked ridiculous Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitters wrote:
I recently bought a Smith Vantage helmet and Smith I/O goggles, and used them for the first time yesterday. They are designed to fit snugly together and there are special vents in the helmet to aid fog clearing. They worked a treat yesterday in fairly poor conditions, and as it was hard work at times I was fairly sweaty but the goggles stayed clear.

It is the first helmet I've owned so can't really compare, but it was the only one I tried that seemed to fit me perfectly, and doesn't seem huge on my head - I have a big head so it is tricky to find a good fit snowHead It is really lightweight and is also well-vented, and these can be closed on colder or snowy days.

The goggles also come with two lenses, one for mid to poor light, the other for bright sun. They seem very good so far, maybe not quite as good in poor light as a cheapo pair of yellow goggles I've had for ages though, but next time I'll take both old and new and compare directly.

The one downside is the price, but Smith do cheaper models that are also perfect fit with the goggles. I did try those on, but this one seemed to fit me so much better, and the lightweightness and venting means that I'll be happier wearing it in the depths of winter and on warm spring days. It only has a clip in the back for the goggles, in common with most helmets I reckon. Couldn't you try some kind of velcro attachment on the sides?

Whatever you do, try it on in a shop before you buy as comfort and fit are the most important things. And wear your ski jacket or fleece - when I first went shopping for one I was in my office clothing and it felt and looked ridiculous Very Happy

Another vote here for Smith
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sweet Trooper is a great helmet, but somewhat pricey. Looking at the I/OS goggles for next year for ease of changing the lenses.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it fits and you like it... Then another vote for the Sweet Trooper! I have used this with a pair of Oakley A frames for approx 80 days of skiing with no issues.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go for the stormtrooper look:

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitters wrote:

I tried on a Variant Brim over the weekend and found that it was slightly loose along the sides, possibly due to my oval head. Do you know if the vantage is any narrower, or does anyone know if Giro helmets are slimmer?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have Smith goggles with Smith Holt helmet - as per previous comments these work together really well so I would recommend getting the same brand for helmet and goggles... worth trying both on though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Let me add that if for some reason you have an over-large conk, getting a helmet-goggles combo to fit is a real challenge.

Please do not ask how I know this Wink

Adidas Yodai goggles did the job for me (narrow top to bottom) available in a range of lenses together with a Giro helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Variant brim with:

A Frames - Good.
Splice - Good; better than the a frame, but feel like they sit forward a bit (though still "sealed"). Quite a "tall" goggle as well, so possibly not so good for "over-large conks" Smile
Von zippers - Very good / comfy
Smith IO - best fit and comfort.

capability, My variant brim's a really good fit (M) but I never find Giro very comfortable as I'm right on the size boundary. YMMV.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
capability, can't say for sure, but I tried both and the Vantage was a better fit for me than any other helmet, and felt snug all over to the point when I could hardly tell I was wearing it last weekend. Other helmets seemed to have pressure points and looser areas on my head.

There is a dial system at the back (BOA) that seems to do a good job of ensuring a perfect fit all over, which I think is also on some of their other helmets too including the Variant.
snow conditions
Try sweet rambler, if it fits is the most comfortable helmet i have ever owned, fits perfectly with oakley crowbar as well
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy