Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A wheel (or real?) nut goes skiing again

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know the normal way for UK snowheads to ski in Europe is to fly but I always did it with wheels. The post is intended to show a different variety of doing it, that is all.

Outward and return journeys from Newcastle UK to Amsterdam Holland are by overnight ferries. The wheels are to provided by a 7-seater Shogun equipped with all season tyres carrying snow chains. The usual ferry crossing cost is slight above £300 for 2 persons plus vehicle, including dinner buffet both directions for the two passengers.

The plan is to be away 19 days, starting 22 Mar 2006. (edited correct date should be 22 Feb 2006)

1 day travel from Amsterdam to Garmisch Partenkirchen.
2 days skiing in the German resort on the Gap-ski-Classic deal (2 skiers))
1 day for driving to Munich airport to pick up brother’s family then to Sankt Anton
7 days skiing in St Anton, Zurs & Lech with self catering accommodation (6 skiers)
After skiing the last day in St Anton drive to a Munich hotel near the airport
1 day seeing brother family off, then drive to Santa Cristina of Italy
5 day skiing in Sella Ronda (2 skiers)
2 day returning from Santa Cristina to Amsterdam, overnight stay in a Bonn Hotel.

Garmisch Partenkirchen operates a Gap-ski-Classic deal with a 2-day skiing pass and 3 nights accommodation for 99 Euro per head. That looks attractive as a day pass for a decent European resort can be nearly 40 Euro per day and it would be interesting just to see what the German have to offer with their small bit of the Alps.

My brother was planning to go to Austria alone again this year after trying out the Ski Welt last year. He was searching for an affordable self-catering for his family of four and was persuaded by me to go to St Anton together. It will be the first time for both of us. The self-catering for 6 was easier to get than for 4 and the cost of 960 Euro per week appeared reasonable. My brother has two young children and can’t escape the high season charge during the mid term break.

The accommodation cost in Sella Ronda appears to be proportional to the distance between the B&B and the chairlifts. I got B&B offers of 29, 30, 31, 35…up to 45 Euro per head per night. The wife and I went for Santa Cristina as it is only a few miles driving to Val Gardena.

So I have to waste 3 days travelling, 2 days for changing camp, leaving 14 days to ski in three countries of Germany, Austria and Italy. All the resorts are new to the wife and I so we are looking forward to the experience.

Any snowhead in

Garmish Partenkirchen on 23 & 24 Feb
Sankt Anton on 26 Feb to 4 Mar
Sella Ronda on 6 to 10 Mar?

Any suggestion on the above areas? I know there GP has Germany's only certified world cup run called Kandahar but it is a black slope. Don't know how challenging it is. Zurs/Lech has a "White ring" that skiers go around? I am going to Sella Ronda mainly to see if we could do a circle in a day.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-11-05 17:14; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like fun Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dates are a bit confusing...

"The plan is to be away 19 days, starting 22 Mar 2006"...

"Any snowhead in

Garmish Partenkirchen on 23 & 24 Feb
Sankt Anton on 26 Feb to 4 Mar
Sella Ronda on 6 to 10 Mar?"

Is the plan to avoid snowHead 's at all cost?? NehNeh
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Does sound like fun, although if I had a brother I'd tell him to get the train (I actually have 2 sisters and I'd be more likely to tell them to jump under a train but that's another story Laughing ).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Leon

Thanks for pointing the mistake.

brian

Didn't know a train can pass the Malmo bridge between Sweden and Danmark but apparently it does.

By train from Norway can take a long time as he needs to travel from Trodheim to Oslo, then change one possibly in Stockhom, one in Copenhagen, at least one or two in Germany I would have thought, then Innsbruck then Sankt Anton.

I have been picking him up regularly in Geneva before so I have been well trained like a dog.

Can't tell him to jump under the train either as he frequently invite me to ski in Scandinavia. Not in the same league as the Alps but experience is different. So I still keep scratching his back in a hope that he would scratch mine.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 4-11-05 18:09; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
saikee, I meant train to/from Munich airport to save you losing 2 ski days !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian,

Even if my brother takes a train from Munich airport I still lose time to change my accommodation from Garmisch Partenkirchen to St Anton and definitely a good part of a day when changing from St Anton to Sella Ronda.

We are at age that a little rest in between continuous skiing is more attractive than going all out for it.

I am in fact seriously considering drive South to Innsbruck before heading North to meet my brother in Munich, so that I can drop into Wattens, where the Swarovsky silver crystal factory situated, as an incentive to Mrs Saikee to continue her interest in skiing. Cost me an arm and a leg last time we visited Wattens when we skied Ski Welt.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy