Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deja Jet2

Poster: A snowHead
Exactly a year ago last week I had a lovely week in La Tania, booked through a TO (Crystal) and flown there on a Jet2 charter from Edinburgh to Chambery. But, I was one of the lucky ones going as my Skis turned up, unlike the other 30+ peoples who didn't get them until the next day.

Going home was a fiasco. First of all we flew from Chambery to Bournemouth where we sat for an hour or more being "refuelled" and then on ( the very late) arrival at Edinburgh there were precisely zero (0, nil, nada) skis.

The excuse for both of these "deviations" was the unusually high temperatures in Chambery (which was true, about 22C) which affect aircraft performance and so we couldn't take off with the weight of all those skis nor carry enough fuel to get from Chambery to Edinburgh. Now I do know a bit about this, and it is true that high temperatures will require a longer take off run and longer climb out for a given weight. But, is it really true that with only fuel for Chambery to Bournemouth a 737 is so limited? I must get myself some performance tables and find out....

Talking to a baggage handler at Edinburgh he told me that Jet2 had not delivered any skis off that flight all season

Now, move on a year, same week, independantly travelling this time, but Jet2 again. We had heard that for their own scheduled service they had cut down on capacity and were running the plane at less than full to "sort this". It did seem the case as outbound there were a number of empty seats and everyone got their skis at Chambery.

But, coming back, same old fiasco at Edinburgh airport. Some skis did come off, but not many, and there were about 30 of us having to fill in forms in the hope of getting our luggage delivered some time this week. What got my goat was the Jet2 drone trying to claim the problem was the weather. Cold weather as stated gives better performance, but what it was like in the UK was irrelevant anyway, weather in Chambery was (according to long term records) normal for the time of year, about 9C so no surprise and Jet2 have control over how many seats they sell and know in advance the weight they will be. In addition they also have my £50 for (not) carrying my skis, nice work if you can get it!

Having speculated with a number of people, we wonder if Jet2 are carrying commercial freight on that flight? It's just more convenient for them to dump our skis onto another of their flights and pay someone on minimum wage to drive them up from Manchester in a transit?

I am wondering what other peoples experiences are with Jet2, are you getting your luggage? It seems we don't at Edinburgh!!

"Thankyou for flying Jet2, we know you don't have a choice, hahahaha, MUGS"
Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyrew, Havent used them for years, used to fly with them all the time when they first started using Leeds Bradford but prices have rocketted, dirty planes, poor customer service, extortionate prices for skis carriage (also have had non-arrival issues), and poor times of flights have put me off for good, prefer to go via Manchester with Lufthansa or Swiss which are much cheaper and service is exceptional..........and skis arrive! Jet2 advertise themselves as a skiers airline, I personally dont know any skiers that travel with them anymore, they seem to be more suited to Majorca, Tenerife, Nice etc, certainly not my idea of a ski airline.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aircraft performance is more tricky than just temperature, as I have said before my flying experience is in small pointy jets and maybe 2Planks will be along shortly to give a fuller explanation. However, Chambery is surrounded by big hills and they have to be avoided even if one engine fails after decision speed. It also has a relatively short runway and because of the unusual geographical situation sometimes the have to take off down wind rather than into wind which dramatically reduces the weight at which they can take off safely. In simple terms if temperature rises then jet engine performance drops, other factors also have to be taken into account - available power is reduced if engine anti icing is required (temperature and humidity dependant), the state of the runway etc etc. To ensure the aircraft can take off safely weight has to be reduced.

Having said that the Jet 2 737s are also the relatively rare QC variant (they can be quick changed every night into freighters for their Royal Mail contract) and these are heavier than your average 737 300 so again this affects performance.

I know none of this helps reduce your frustration - ultimately it is the tour op that charters the ac and the destination (stand fast that Jet2 do scheduled flights there as well) and they like Chambery cos its closer to the slopes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In their (rare) defence, they were very good with us last month (Geneva - Leeds) with my other half in a wheelchair and with all the extra bother than entailed... Slightly OT in terms of Chambery I know, but I steer well clear of there now in general...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I fly with jet2 all the time and find them to be very good compared to
the other budget airlines namely ryan air and easyjet( both terrible)
For the last two seasons ski carrige has been free, also i think the most i
have paid for a flight to chambery was £130 return and the least was £70!!
just had alook at lufthansa and swiss air to geneva and both are well over £200 one way!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rasputinuk, that's because their hubs are Munich and Zurich, they do not fly to Geneva direct from Manchester. Also depends greatly when you book, early seats on Lufthansa are especially reasonable. If I fly to Geneva these days it's with EJ.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rasputinuk wrote:

For the last two seasons ski carrige has been free,

Not now its not. 50squid for (non) carriage of skis now.
I've now had 2 Jet2 non carriages and evidence of serial non carriage last year. Never had a problem with Easyjet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

early seats on Lufthansa are especially reasonable

yup. not paid more than €98 return for the last 4 years. and that includes ski/boot/lid carriage too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

namely ryan air and easyjet( both terrible)

Out of interest, what makes Easyjet terrible for you?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy, +1, great to deal with too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ive always had great service from EJ and frequently on time/ clean planes etc, skis never left on runway...... apart from when I tried to get an oversized hand luggage bag into the measuring guage doofer and got charged excessive baggage charge for putting in the hold but that was my fault.

Saw a funny incident 3 weeks ago at the Jet2 desk, check-in person was adamant the bag was oversized for the guage, it was by about 1cm in height, big kick-off, all the micrometers out.....really cheap/ nasty bag with huge wheels, I'd have been smashing the wheels off if it was mine, instead the air was blue, Jet2 won (for now......they dont realise the person has a choice whether to come back, or not), probably don't care.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thankyou Jet2, what great service, I know I should be eternally grateful...

Skis have arrived, earlier than last time. Supposed to have come with me on 23/3. Instead went from Geneva to Leeds Bradford on LS286 on 25/03 and now arrived here in Scotland.

Seems that "Deja Jet2" is very Deja: http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?4,144239
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bump
This still happens
Jet 2 flight Edinburgh tp Salzberg on the 10th January
Plane change after all passengers and luggage loaded as they needed more fuel due to high winds
Some folk found their luggage missing at Salzberg fortunately ours turned up
Both planes I think are the type they use overnight for freight
If this is a regular issue surly it would be better restricting hold baggage to 20kg rather than the 22 they allow
Its not much use having 22kg if its not with you at your destination
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jet2 from EDI to Salzburg a weeka ago, we got the same story on both flights, "sorry we are too heavy for Salzburg airport so there is no food". Funny that a 747 stretched version landed from Moscow, I'm pretty sure it was heavier then us.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

It also has a relatively short runway and because of the unusual geographical situation sometimes the have to take off down wind rather than into wind which dramatically reduces the weight at which they can take off safely.

I used to fly out of some Caribbean airports where that was the case. Luggage was quite frequently left behind in St Vincent when the flight had to take off downwind. That's why I always had hand baggage only.
snow report
Quote:

Funny that a 747 stretched version landed from Moscow, I'm pretty sure it was heavier then us.

But it probably had 4 massive engines - its thrust to weight ratio that is important. Also was it a scheduled flight or an oligarch with a splendid (but not that heavy) gin palace.
latest report
@JimboS, We had the offer of food etc on the way back
The aircraft wasn't one of their cargo convertible ones as far as I could tell and weather was less windy
Im not realy having a major rant as we were not effected other than being a bit late getting to Salzberg
At least the are doing a flights to ski resorts from Scotland as we are not overwhelmed with choices up here and Im well aware they are not the only airline that leaves luggage behind Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy