Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A sobering read

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-Fall-Avalanche-Tunnel-ebook/dp/B00AQP7U20/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364161267&sr=1-2&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dabber, I clicked but got a link to a book. Not enough info.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry , it a kindle book by a US journalist about an avalanche last year involving a large group of experienced backcountry skiers , it's quite thought provoking in the way it covers the decision making and the consequences .

It's only £1:91 , so money well spent I thought, here's a preview

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 24-03-13 23:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dabber, thank you
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dabber, thank you. A terrifying (and sobering) read, vividly illustrating the dangers of group-think and complacency even in a really experienced group. My eyes nearly popped out when I saw the video of one of the survivors fishing his transceiver out of his rucksack.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DT68 wrote:
one of the survivors fishing his transceiver out of his rucksack.

Many backpacks are designed with a special transceiver pocket, I questioned it on first sight but would it really take any longer than removing said backpack and unzipping a coat to access it? If anything it's quicker as you also have access to probe and shovel in the same gesture.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albinomountainbadger, they do? Can you name one pack with a transceiver pocket?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albinomountainbadger, the problem with having a transceiver in the rucksack is the potential for the rucksack to be ripped offf the body during an avalanche - as happened (read on) to one of those who did not survive (but who was obviously wearing his). In short, putting it in the rucksack creates the potential for the transceiver to be dislocated from its owner.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh wrote:
albinomountainbadger, they do? Can you name one pack with a transceiver pocket?

Millet. For example: http://www.millet.fr/en/products/fall-winter-2012-2013/hardware-backpacks/steep-27

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 25-03-13 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DT68 wrote:
albinomountainbadger, the problem with having a transceiver in the rucksack is the potential for the rucksack to be ripped offf the body during an avalanche - as happened (read on) to one of those who did not survive (but who was obviously wearing his). In short, putting it in the rucksack creates the potential for the transceiver to be dislocated from its owner.

I agree. Personally I would prefer to keep it on my body, but as with helmets there seems to be two (at least) schools of thought.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albinomountainbadger, I have never come across the second school of thought. Every guide I have ever skied with has always stressed the need for it to be strapped to the body.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albinomountainbadger, how odd. Any giide I've skied with (and almost anyone else using a beep) maintains that it should be worn under the lowest layer that you are going to remove while skiing (on the climb) so that while layering/de-layering you don't have to remove it.

Likewise, rucksacks can be forcibly removed, or indeed taken off to get skins in/out... Witness the poor fellows earlier in the year who died in E.K. whose ABS packs were recovered at some distance, presumably they were putting skins away when the slip happened.

The Millet pack looks pretty nice otherwise snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
albinomountainbadger, how odd. Any giide I've skied with (and almost anyone else using a beep) maintains that it should be worn under the lowest layer that you are going to remove while skiing (on the climb) so that while layering/de-layering you don't have to remove it.

Likewise, rucksacks can be forcibly removed, or indeed taken off to get skins in/out... Witness the poor fellows earlier in the year who died in E.K. whose ABS packs were recovered at some distance, presumably they were putting skins away when the slip happened.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albinomountainbadger, under a new name, perhaps we should ask Haggis_Trap to launch a campaign aimed at securing (1) the withdrawal of the Millet pack and (2) forty Hail Marys from anyone who has stocked it? wink
latest report
albinomountainbadger, bizarre. I've seen peoples packs come off in rough falls let alone an avalanche plus the above point about taking them off all the time. Other than wearing it on a harness the only other thing I've seen that makes sense is putting it in a trouser/bib pocket that has a secure closure and some sort of lanyard to attach it too.
snow report
so odd, UANN said it was odd 3 times Wink
I can't believe the beacon pocket is intended to be used while you are actually skiing, just a handy place to stash your beacon if you don't want to wear it during apres ski. surely? Shocked
i have seen some guides being cool with the idea of keeping a beacon in your trouser pocket. this makes sense to me - it's more convenient if you are touring and want to be putting on/removing layers, esp if you habitually strip down to base layer for climbing. it's got to be more protected in a trouser pocket than on the outside of your only layer on top. and if an avvy is powerful enough to rip your kecks off (a) it will probably mess you up pretty badly and (b) who is to say it won't rip the bleeper and harness off too?
snow conditions
under a new name, if wearing the thing under the lowest layer surely it will take longer to get to, and be harder to use, when you need to find other people?
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
under a new name, if wearing the thing under the lowest layer surely it will take longer to get to, and be harder to use, when you need to find other people?

It's not that hard to get to it, usually you just unzip your outer layers and pull up your sweater. The priority for you, the wearer, is that it's secure. Ease of access is, I'm afraid, secondary. That said, keeping it in a pocket also works, so long as the garment isn't something you will be taking off during the day. For touring people tend to put it in a trouser pocket because jackets get put on and taken off during the day, depending on the level of effort / temperature.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy