Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Champs in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
What's going on at the British Champs?
90 men entered super G including some French World cup stars - that's great.

But only 16 entrants for the female race does not make for a great race.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Philbo, Rather than waste time on here, look at the other websites within British skiing - britski.org, BSS, SSE, SSW, SSS etc. to see stories of the emerging talent and the depth of talent that is coming through in British alpine racing.

The depth of emerging talent does not seem that deep Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
looking at the acceptance for the minis races, we have a grand total of 24 kids who are born in 2003. Compare that with the French race, the Milles Pattes taking place in Montgenèvre on the 6th/7th April. They have in excess of 150 kids of the same year of birth.

The same applies to the U14 boys year of birth 1999. In the british race there is a total of 36 kids on the acceptance list. Next week the Coq d Or takes place in Alpe d Huez. There will be at least 200 kids in the same category.

There is nothing new about the lack of depth of our emerging talent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If those small numbers of registrants are typical of the British Champs (I don't know, I've never been), this may not be entirely due to lack of talent or interest. Notwithstanding that it's perfectly understandable and to be expected that we'll never have nearly the numbers of participants of the Alpine nations, another reason why so few compete may be that the races are held in early April in Meribel. April is hot, especially in Meribel. AIUI certainly the last 2 years and possibly in other previous recent years the snow's been a dreadful slush and splash-fest. And it's expensive. How about holding it in Val Thorens or Tignes or Cervinia or somewhere else higher and possibly even just a touch cheaper? My kids dabble in ski racing (2 mountain races a year tops) but we'll probably never go to the British so long as it is where it is when it is. In fact we're off to the Caribbean then. Very Happy If you compare with the Inter Schools, lots more participants (though of course Home Nations reg not required and average standard much lower).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, There is also a qualifying threshold of 400 BASS points in any discipline for the Brits. There is no such requirement for the Interschools.

Greater numbers are unlikely to improve the quality of the competition at the Brit childrens. Most of the top seeded racers will be there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Patch, about 50 U14 boys at the Inter Schools made 400 points in the GS. Greater numbers won't directly improve quality but I'm pretty sure greater numbers will make the event bigger and better which will encourage participation and indirectly improve quality. Focussing only on top seeded racers is not going to improve image, participation and ultimately the quality of ski racing in this country.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But I make it about 52 U14 Boys on the acceptance list for the Brits, and 57 U16 Boys

Larger numbers would certainly make the event bigger, possibly better, but it's expensive for parents... even so, taking GS seed points as an example, there are 57 entrants, out of a total 91 boys with sub-400 points, so about two-thirds of those eligible will be participating
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patch, point is that from many conversations I have had with other parents of racing kids, more may participate if the location (or time of year, but this is difficult I know) is changed to somewhere better, including ourselves. I know you are based in the 3V and I think it's possibly the best ski area in the world but I think my view that Meribel is a poor choice for the British is a very commonly held one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, Yes, I would probably agree, on balance, that Méribel might not be the ideal location to hold races in April (and the last two years were certainly slushfests). But this year should have better conditions, I hope

Enjoy the Caribbean, and maybe catch up for a beer at a kids race next season!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meribel is not the greatest location for this event. Yes, the hill team from the resort do an amazing job getting races to run when many places would give up but that does not help the huge cost to parents and clubs attending.

Couple this with a current regime at BSS who do not listen to the masses and have stated that they will not support speed disciplines (Dougie and TJ were asked to train with the dutch technical team!!) and you can see why the speed disciplines are not well attended. What's the point? Even if you do well, our current performance director does not believe the disciplines worthy of support.

Meribel itself gives a very good deal to BSS, making it an attractive venue for our cash strapped federation and sponsors Delancy/British Land/the Ritblatts love the place so are happy to help fund the event there.

slikedges, Val T and Cervinia do not have the necessary homologated speed pistes and Tignes was host resort for many years with it's own problems (South facing stade that ,even at 2200m, becomes very soft this late in the season. The races were not started there as early as they are in Meribel).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we are off to the 'Brits' with four children, two mine, two from the club, which is making it somewhat more affordable, but its still expensive for a few races. The timing helps that its in the holidays, as exams have changed so much recently, that the continual aasesment does mean that taking the children out of school affects their grades. As for the comment about the amount of kids in the french races, well thats not exactly surprising as skiing isnt exactly on our doorstep is it?
rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My comment about the French Races was just made to highlight our lack of depth with respect to our merging talent. And yes, not surprising at all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, Philbo, iskar, Snowheads beer sometime during the Brits Children's ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Patch, will look forward to meeting you at a future race - in the meantime, here's to better snow for this year's British Champs!

Philbo, surprised they don't have homologated speed pistes. Cervinia is a bit flat I suppose but I'd've thought VT wouldn't be a problem. Well maybe back to Tignes then!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Patch wrote:
slikedges, Philbo, iskar, Snowheads beer sometime during the Brits Children's ?

be rude not too.. Cool
we are staying in La Tania, but have team members in meribel as well
ski holidays
Philbo, Val Thorens looks to me as if it has homologated speed pistes, I haven't looked at where they are but thought that the French championships had been there a couple of years ago.

I was at the last British Champs in Tignes, the conditions were much worse than the team in Meribel are able to create. I would agree about costs though, I just drive round to Meribel from the Val d'Arly each day.
snow report
Philbo wrote:
What's going on at the British Champs?
90 men entered super G including some French World cup stars - that's great.

But only 16 entrants for the female race does not make for a great race.

Only 8 entrants for todays ladies downhills(6 British) Puzzled
latest report
Just back from a few days at the British Champs in Meribel. Have been a couple of times previously but this time stayed in Brides Les Bain.
Better quality self catering apartments and cheaper, plus loads of reasonably priced hotels, "Le Gourmet" £30 per night

Best self catering apartment I have stayed in "Eureca" Steam room, hot tub,comfortable residents lounge,underground parking centrally located, Spar shop nearby, delicatessen next door etc etc. and half the price of a "The Brimbelles" in Meribel

20 mins by car to the Chaudanne. Snow tyres/Chains recommended even at easter. I see BSA are in Brides this year too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy