Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advice on getting started at cross-country skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

does go to show what you can do without a pisted track

sounds energetic but nice and safe! The nastiest conditions I have tried were in very hard frozen tracks. It was like skiing on ice. OK, if precarious-feeling on the flat, but so impossible on a gradient (trying a demi snow-plough made no impression) that our instructor decided it was just too dangerous and we splodged around "off piste" instead - not very successfully but it felt a lot less dangerous, and was less painful to fall on. She warned us that on our own we should avoid the tracks until they were a bit softer, later in the day.

For someone planning to ski "off piste" somewhere like Derbyshire nordic touring skis with metal edges, and a bit more width, would presumably make better sense?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Postscript to this thread: the 5 mornings of cross country lessons in Meribel were a great success. Fantastic instructor called Marianne, who not only really got them going at cross country, but also taught them lots about the wildlife and plants that they saw, and gave them her home brewed herbal tea. Only three in the class. Took them to various different places in the valley, including Lac Tueda (above Mottaret), and around to La Tania, as well the main circuits near the Altiport. Also encouraged them to go snow shoeing in the afternoon up the valley above Mottaret. A couple of tips: (i) get the ski school to recommend beforehand where to hire cross country skis, and what type.....she got us to change what we had got after a couple of days, and go to a place she knew well where her name got us a discount; (ii) avoid having lunch in the restaurant (Le Blanchot) by the cross country meeting place unless you enjoy paying offensively high prices (6 euros for a coke, scarcely any main courses under 30 euros)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Julian T, that sounds terrific, glad it was such a success. It gives you a refreshingly different perspective on a ski resort, doesn't it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
janeed wrote:
Tarquin, I've done laps around our local park when the snow was good enough last year and the year before. Great practice and good exercise. I just have skinny classic skis without metal edges. Even managed to get back to the front door 2 years ago, and that is central(ish) Manchester.
Missed this! That's it, I'm having some! Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In poor visibility and heavy snow last week, hubby commented that we should try it next season, as it would beat hanging around waiting for lifts to open.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, we are going to try at christmas if the loop is open. We are going out with friend s who had a go in the arctic.circle last week, they don't really do alpine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, the pistes are just opposite the apartment, so it's not as if we have far to go.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells, same here, just outside our front door and we can hire kit next door.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, holidayloverxx, I'll be putting a little vid up laters after today's exploits Smile

I've now done four or five sessions, that's probably more to do with the fact that I can't be arsed to pay for a lift ticket to ski tracked out heavy snow, plus we're still waiting for decent spring snow touring conditions, and as HB says it beats hanging around!

And Hells Bells, now is the time to buy some kit like I did a couple of years ago after I did my ACL as I was none too sure I'd be back on Alpine the following year. Elaine couple of weeks ago bought skis, boots and poles for 110 € so if you do let me know and I can get them and then sort it out next season - you could leave the gear for your clients!

Yesterday we went from Villar D'Arene up the valley, then there's still Nevache, Cervieres to do and a few more, though I am thinking about switching to skate x-country, but after today's descents I'm not so sure, was a tad hairy Shocked

PS All my hard core ski adrenalin junkie mates think I've gone totally "gay" - I just want to see them go down a little descent on them Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Julian T, sounds what was the good shop for Xc gear hire?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I just want to see them go down a little descent on them

Laughing

I would be wary of buying without doing a bit first, and maybe hiring some equipment to start with. We made a mistake buying in end of season sales, years ago. We got very long narrow skinny skis and very lightweight boots, but I have now bought some easier skis (slightly wider, slightly shorter) and boots with a different binding system, designed for "recreational" cross country skiing - the first lot were built for speed but were a bit too challenging.

My new ones are last year's version of these http://www.fischersports.com/es/Nordic/Products/Skis/Women-My-Style/3342-Passion-My-Stye

These are my boots http://www.gearwest.com/product/atomic-ashera-30---20122013/1897867

though I wouldn't like to claim I have "outstanding control on the descent". wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, sounds like I'll need more than 2 weeks holiday though if I'm going to do all of that as well as the proper skiing wink.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here you are - think I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that I wanted to go up to the Refuge Napoleon which is just below the Col D'Izoard - in the summer coming back down on the push bike it's a great descent, on cross country skis was interesting - I think the powder helped me not to go to fast !!

http://youtube.com/v/QiHrgoO00kY
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lawks, completely missed a cross country thread.

So glad the OP's mate had a great time, hope she has a happy lifetime of cross country before her (not to mention buns of steel).

Weathercam, so jealous of your doing the Col d'Iz, was it from the Cervieres or Queyras side? We go the Queyras every year and have yet to do the trip (closed for avy risk this New Year). Any tips?

We plan to start on the Queyras side - ski to Cervieres for the first night, then a nice no-rucksack day trip and then ski back over the d'Iz on day three. Using skins and metal edged skis (a week without skins in Norway this year has left mental scars, I totally get Janeed's comments about endless side stepping up)

Do you know how it compares to, say, the Col Agnel? (We are collecting mythique Tour de France cols on skis, as you do).

May I also recommend Decathon's superb mountaineering kit? I just end up living in it, both in the Alps and in rain-lashed Snowdonia. Some, eg softshell is also fab for cross country. In fact, I just love Decathlon - selling affordable and achievable dreams....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Badpanda, we parked up at Le Laus just up the road from Cervieres.

I've skinned up on touring skis taking a more direct line rather than the road in the past, taking a friend who had not been on touring skis before, my wife and a friend beat us walking up.

Some good pics and examples of what there is to do away from the ski slopes here, and a trip up to Galibier, which we've yet to do this year!

http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/weekone.html

Then last year with the poor snow cover in early april we were able to drive up from Brunissard (Queyras side) and drive a good few kms before walking up and over, that was superb as we felt we should not have been there, like scrumping apples Smile

Nice little vid of that day

rockyground.m4v from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/39584741

Badpanda, adn you're not a couple we met last year in the sports shop in the Commercial center who had been ski touring in the Queyras one day near Agnel ?

And as forecast bit of a blue sky day today, so should be some fresh up there, so will use the lifts Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

what was the good shop for Xc gear hire?

Sport 2000 au Plateau
ski holidays
pam w,

The lady in the ski shop in Seefeld tried to sell Mrs M some of those - are they good?
snow conditions
musher, well, I think they're just right for me. An athletic, lycra-clad Savoyard would probably look down their nose at them. If you want to do maximum distance and speed you need faster skis but also far better technique than I have. If I go XC skiing it's to get some exercise and enjoy the peaceful ambiance of the XC area. And I can do that with fewer crashes on slightly wider skis. The lad who advised me Au Vieux Campeur knew his stuff, I think, and I was happy to take his advice.
snow conditions
My first time ever on any sort of ski was when a friend from Norway gave me an old pair of cross-country skis. Loads of snow about 6 months later and I took them with me as we went tobogganing with the kids. I had no boots but found that I could attach myself by clipping over the front of my oversize wellies. Up to the top of the slope, point down and go, good job that the slope rose again before the bramble bushes. So good I did it over and over - at the time I couldn't see the fun in a few others who were going from side to side on wider skis than mine!!
snow conditions
Thanks Weathercam,

so good to see those sunny Queyras skies! Still jealous, especially as the Snowdonia forecast is its usual vile self this weekend...('rolling eyes')

I assume you did not ski the Queyras side, which I seem to recall was steeper (from our one summer car trip). How doable is the route for AT? We are utterly rubbish on Alpine skis (as opposed to moderately rubbish on Nordics) so it would have to be a grade 1.1 type route, nice blue run type thing and we would just go up and down, not a "raid". Looks good on Nordics tho so hopefully this New Year....

Dont' know if we met you! Which Centre Commercial? The one in Briancon? When?

If you're in Briancon I'm sure you know that the Nevache is a cracking little place for cross country with some very tasty higher cwms which had loads of powder a couple of years ago in that very bad snow year. If there's no snow in the Vercors next Feb, we may go back...

Enjoy the snow and sun Razz
snow report
Badpanda wrote:
Thanks Weathercam,

so good to see those sunny Queyras skies! Still jealous, especially as the Snowdonia forecast is its usual vile self this weekend...('rolling eyes')

I assume you did not ski the Queyras side, which I seem to recall was steeper (from our one summer car trip). How doable is the route for AT? We are utterly rubbish on Alpine skis (as opposed to moderately rubbish on Nordics) so it would have to be a grade 1.1 type route, nice blue run type thing and we would just go up and down, not a "raid". Looks good on Nordics tho so hopefully this New Year....

Dont' know if we met you! Which Centre Commercial? The one in Briancon? When?

If you're in Briancon I'm sure you know that the Nevache is a cracking little place for cross country with some very tasty higher cwms which had loads of powder a couple of years ago in that very bad snow year. If there's no snow in the Vercors next Feb, we may go back...

Enjoy the snow and sun Razz
Weathercam, did you get any advice about X country sking after your knee injury. (I've damaged MCL and PCL, not ACL.)

I've tried, and enjoyed, a few days of X country in the past. My husband thinks it might be an option for next year if my knee isn't up to alpine skiing. But I know I fall more on skinny skis, and I'm worried about twisting my knee more as I wouldn't come out of the bindings.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm worried about twisting my knee more as I wouldn't come out of the bindings.

I wouldn't be too bothered about that. Your boots are only attached to the skis at the toes, after all, the boots are soft and the skis tip over readily. When I've fallen on skinny skis it's my hips which seem to have taken the brunt of it (though I did meet a woman, when I took someone to the medical centre, who had broken her arm). I do find that falling on skinny skis is generally more painful than falling on alpine skis (as well as far more frequent!). Maybe because you just bash straight down onto the flat ground - rather than sliding a bit downhill. So I'm a bit scared of it (especially since fracturing my pelvis in January) but don't worry about my knees! Skiing off-piste on alpine skis, on the other hand, falling doesn't generally hurt at all but I really worry about knees!

Maybe I should just take up knitting?
ski holidays
I did not take any advice about x-country - I was still out here after I did my acl and was hobbling around for another three weeks, even managed to hike up to the Col du Granon on snowshoes - so whilst hobbling I went in and bought some ex rental x-country in case that was all my knee was up to the following season.

As it happened I never used them the following season as snow cover was so poor in the valley and I was back on Alpine skis, all be it with a brace anyway.

janeed, as you know you must try to build up your muscles in the "bad leg" and cycling and the like is ideal for that, if you're not of the "no pain no gain" training mentality then it will take much longer, my daughter has her op next week, and I know she will think her knee will be back to normal without having to do anything, and god forbid she listens to her father's advice Confused

pam w, however is so right, it's your hips / pelvis that take the brunt of the fall, obviously like everything better to do in soft snow. But after your first outing, in my experience, the falls rapidly diminish, that is until you take on something more challenging!

Came close to buying a full skating setup in the end of season sales here, but opted for some new boots instead!
ski holidays
The frequent falling has to do with the skis being so narrow... and yes, falling onto one's side, hip takes the impact and can be painful. (I also sometimes bang my knee on the other skis on landing too Sad )

The good news being, the narrow skis tip over as one falls and, helped by the free movement in the ankle means there's rarely any stress on the knee ligaments.
snow report
Quote:

I also sometimes bang my knee on the other skis on landing too

when I had my first week's XC lessons I had recently been learning to snowboard - so my coccyx was a bit bashed about. The worst fall on the XC skis was when one of the skis was upended and my coccyx landed right on it. 'twas very sore. The instructor assured me I was making progress when I started getting my weight well forward and doing some forward falls - but anything was better than risking another smack on that poor coccyx.
ski holidays
Had a glorious afternoon at Champagny-le-Haut last Sunday (7th Apr). The routes right up the valley to Laisonnay on utterly unused classic 'rails' there was only a tiny handful of skater's tracks as well as a few walkers*. With so few people around to disturb the wildlife there were loads of Bouquetin on the South facing slopes of the valley although you have to watch very carefully as they just disappear when they stand still. I also gazed in thrall as three little avalanches came tumbling down from the precipices high above, the sun triggering some later afternoon slides. Several more could be heard in the high peaks around Bellecote to the South.
It is like meditation that make your heart beat faster at the same time. Skiing for hippies? Without the infernal ski lift racket the only intrusive noise is the near ubiquitous dull roar of aircraft, thousands of meters above. I do not think I have noticed it anywhere else.

*Some of whom had, unfortunately, been footplodding in the tracks on the way back - v antisocial and fully deserving every millimeter of my 205cm skis up their fundament if I catch them - it really does break the kick kick glide hypnotic rhythm.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 15-04-13 23:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
mcspreader, pedestrians are strictly prohibited in our XC area. Sounds like a lovely day out. I've only ever seen one bouquetin and he was a long way away.
snow report
pam w, there are plenty of signs at C-l-H to remind pedestrians as well as alpine ski tourers and snowboarders on the few shared pistes so no excuse when Mr 205 cross country plays tunes on your trumpet.

The bouquetin were, of course, hundreds of meters up the hill and they do look terribly small but there must have been nearly fifty in three distinct groups. I wish I had had my binoculars. I doubt any camera short of a full pro paparazzi long lens would have done the view justice, the scenery is just so imense
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the advice and trip stories.
snow report
Quote:

I wish I had had my binoculars

I wished several times yesterday, when I was walking above Beaufort. I only have big clumpy ones, might have to invest in some lightweight small ones to go in a backpack.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy