Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

600 skiers breathalysed in Austria: the results

Poster: A snowHead
About 1 in 16 were skiing with blood-alcohol exceeding the legal limit for driving.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130321/study-sounds-warning-drinking-and-skiing

Quote:
Among those who had consumed alcohol, 73 percent said they had drunk something "light" such as beer or shandy, 24 percent a "medium" tipple such as wine and eight percent a "hard" winter-warmer like schnapps.

I was in an Austrian mountain hut recently where a large group of skiers were being Jaegerbombed by a waiter ... without any air-raid warning (i.e. they didn't know the drinks had been ordered). Funny, perhaps, but also serious. Possibly.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When was the test done? If at 4.30 below Taps/Moosewirt/KK in St Anton I am surproised it is so low! If just on a slope somewhere in the middle of a resort during the day that is quite high.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It isn't really, how many skiers have two glasses of wine with lunch? Quite a lot.

How many groups of guys have a few beers with lunch?, most.

How many wash that down with a shot?, a fair few.

How many times have I done it? Not many but there have been a few pints consumed along the way.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1:16 seems very low to me. There is also blood alcohol carried over from the night before. I demand a retest.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P.S. I meant to mention that a very high percentage of the customers in the mountain hut walked in with helmets on. I took the view that it was very sensible to wear a helmet when helmutted by this waiter (whose name, I believe was Helmut).

In all seriousness, you are more likely to hit a tree/pylon when pished (according to recent scientific research I carried out with a lumberjack).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will not drive after 4 pints but would ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I actually ride better after a couple of lunchtime beers Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Yeah the concequesnes of loosing control while sking are probbaly less than loosing control of your car
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Yeah the concequesnes of loosing control while sking are probbaly less than loosing control of your car

And it's not illegal. Or not as far as I know.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're skiing late in the afternoon, it's probably best to be faster than drunken skiers. And stone-cold sober, to be boring.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More Bier!!

http://youtube.com/v/QZwyaAzzHF8

Zuviel Jagertee!!

http://youtube.com/v/mYjO1Vvoa5E
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's all very well having a few drinks, until you collide with some innocent kid and put them in hospital. Probably best to save the boozing for the evening. Personally I'd only have a couple of jars in the evening and make the most of the skiing the next day.

The bloke in the green vid on the vid clip is a lady's front bottom, definately a danger to others.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
homers double wrote:
It isn't really, how many skiers have two glasses of wine with lunch? Quite a lot.

How many groups of guys have a few beers with lunch?, most.

How many wash that down with a shot?, a fair few.

How many times have I done it? Not many but there have been a few pints consumed along the way.

None of the above, even on boys trips. A few beers Apres Ski, but none during the day.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am amazed the figure is so low. Some people must be really boring on holiday!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who gives a toss?
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, +1
snow report
Well, the Austrian Road Safety Board (KFV) gives a toss. The article makes that clear.

Quote:
"People skiing under the influence of alcohol pose an increased risk to themselves and to other people on the slopes," said Alexandra Kuehnelt-Leddihn from the Austrian Road Safety Board (KFV).

Which implies that the pistes of Austria are part of its national road network. No wonder there are so many motorway pistes all over the place.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, I do wish we'd see David Goldsmith back here, I assume he's a relative?

He, at least, took the courtesy to vet "news" items for "news" worthiness before posting, rather than on-posting any old item of vaguely ski or snow related rubbish.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Well, the Austrian Road Safety Board (KFV) gives a toss. The article makes that clear.

Quote:
"People skiing under the influence of alcohol pose an increased risk to themselves and to other people on the slopes," said Alexandra Kuehnelt-Leddihn from the Austrian Road Safety Board (KFV).

Which implies that the pistes of Austria are part of its national road network. No wonder there are so many motorway pistes all over the place.

Yes that's easy to say
Just like " people with a but of a cold or a headache pose an increased risk to themselves and other people on the slopes"
Or "people who are a day older than they were the day before pose an increased risk to themselves and other people on the slopes"
Or probably more relevant, "people who aren't great skiers and who ski occasionally out of contro, pose an increased risk to themselves and other people on the slopes"
Etc

But does not having a headache and being a good skier but with some alcohol in your body make a higher risk than the sober person who skis dangerously ? Probably not
Rubbish poor quality journalism

Possibly, "if you have alcohol in your body, be sensible when skiing" might be a more useful statement (although possibly as obvious)
ski holidays
All the research indicates that even relatively small quantities of alcohol will impair your judgement and your reaction times. This combination is the reason why drinking and driving is illegal. In the context of skiing and at the risk of seeming like an old spoilsport i think that it makes you a greater risk to yourself and other skiers. So if you must drink and ski then do it in moderation (drink drive limits seem reasonable) and be careful.
snow conditions
Drinking beer makes me

a) Ski better
b) Dance better
c) More attractive to the opposite sex

(I am old but cool)
ski holidays
Quote:

Drinking beer makes me

a) Ski better
b) Dance better

.....and can make some members of the opposite sex attractive to you!!
snow conditions
zellmaniac wrote:
Quote:

Drinking beer makes me

a) Ski better
b) Dance better

.....and can make some members of the opposite sex attractive to you!!

Never mind plastic life-sized cows... Toofy Grin
latest report
snow conditions
Its a right faff having a pee as well, and once the seal is broken that's it.
snow conditions
Nobody I ski with drinks alcohol at lunch. At the end of skiing (or perhaps at the Mooserwirt) that's another matter.
ski holidays
stanton, cant believe that i have wasted 3:55 of my day watching a guy trying clip his ski's on and then another 30secs adding this comment.
on a serious not nothing wrong with a beer at lunch time but there are now so many bars in the mountains that create a party scene during the afternoon that they are creating an issue for people on the slopes later in the day - and being a danger to me!!. maybe the local authorities should take on some responsibility for what bars on the slopes are able to do.

as i said nothing wrong with a beer during lunch but the ibiza scene on the slopes is an entirely different situation - mind you 30 years ago i probably would not have had the same opinion wink
ski holidays
Normally I'm not a big drinker on the mountain but I would hate to have been breathalysed after our New Year lunch at the magnifico Maison Vieille in Courmayeur.

Interestingly one friend who has long had problems with nerves seems to have been cured for good after the run down. It really made a lasting difference.

Must have been the bombardinos.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur,
Quote:

Never mind plastic life-sized cows...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I don't drink during the day. 4pm-3am though, that's another matter.
snow report
Piccadilly,
Quote:

I don't drink during the day. 4pm-3am though, that's another matter

I can vouch for the truth of this statement!
ski holidays
Pretty funny the difference in reaction to this article here (UK forum) and epicski (US forum)
snow report
MogulMonkey wrote:

on a serious not nothing wrong with a beer at lunch time but there are now so many bars in the mountains that create a party scene during the afternoon that they are creating an issue for people on the slopes later in the day - and being a danger to me!!. maybe the local authorities should take on some responsibility for what bars on the slopes are able to do.

Apres ski on the hill has been going on in St Anton since 1965 !

There are already exisiting laws which folk may not realise. Being drunk while skiing or Boarding is not permitted. However the Police only take action if someone who is drunk causes an incident or worse. You can be in big trouble instant (Very High) fines, court , jail.

I think the number being over the limit would be much greater if they breatherlysed first thing in the morning at the lifts Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy