Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MP breaks 5 ribs in ski prang

Poster: A snowHead
Graham Stuart, Conservative MP for Beverley and Holderness, is in a French hospital after breaking five ribs and puncturing his lung in a ski accident above Chamonix. This report has prompted ribbing from readers of the Hull Daily Mail ...

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/MP-hospital-skiing-accident/story-18471974-detail/story.html#axzz2O9kyxbh8

Quote:

by MOGRAT
Thursday, March 21 2013, 1:37AM
“Ahh well, at least he's got the money for such decacent pursuits while the serfs live in squalor..."

Charming

Quote:

by ferretmonger
Wednesday, March 20 2013, 7:17PM
“Don't worry Graham i'm sure you'll be able to claim for some new ski's on your expenses!”

Charming
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you saying that individuals will write nasty things about politicians on the internet? I for one am shocked, won't somebody please think of the children!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
first rule of online news articles..... NEVER bother to read the comments
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

This report has prompted ribbing from readers

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should he have been at work?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic, they suspended Nadine Dorries for going to the jungle in work time...!! So yes, he was skiving! Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

The MP doesn't seem to have told his Facebook friends what the problem was, so the local paper found out that he was skiing.

Re. all the 'skiving' comments below the article (which says he fell at the weekend), it's possible that he was skiing just for the weekend. He'll probably need to clarify everything now. Maybe MPs are allowed to take holidays during 'term time' - don't know the protocol on this.

Right: all that Graham Stuart MP seems to have told his followers on FB
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have never heard of him, I'm not a Tory and have precious little sympathy with MPs (except the rebellious backbenchers and the very occasional independently minded minister).

But come on Snowheads- skier has by the sounds of it a serious fall - in Chamonix and breaks 5 ribs and punctures a lung- be nice. No reason to think he hadn't gone for the weekend- mind you if he were skivving I'd be cross (but still wish him a speedy recovery)- they get plenty of holidays.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...I am not a Tory voter but I've done a lot of work with Graham - including being questionned by him in Parliament - he's Chair of the Select Committee for Education and hauls a lot of ministers over the coals and does an excellent job of protecting the public interest. He's no skivver - works all hours. I damn well hope he gets well soon and continues to break the b****s of other MPs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well there you have it. Get well soon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Update on MP Graham Stuart's situation and prognosis. It seems he also broke his pelvis ...

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/MP-freak-skiing-accident-faces-weeks-French/story-18491154-detail/story.html#axzz2OMKZONfQ

Quote:
Despite his injuries, a spokesman from his Beverley constituency office, said: "He is working from his hospital bed and able to carry out constituency work as usual.

"He's looking at emails and letters on all manner of issues and is keeping up to date with his Twitter and Facebook pages. He was even posting updates on the Budget."

Looking at the various comments under the article (which are not overflowing with sympathy), it's just as well he's not messing around on snowHeads.
Or are you, Mr Stuart?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MP Graham Stuart has been flown back to England by air ambulance, and was scheduled for a major operation today ...

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/MP-undergo-surgery-skiing-accident/story-18595790-detail/story.html#axzz2PPhYgxeY

Quote:
His spokeswoman said: "He is still quite poorly and is in intensive care at Hull Royal Infirmary.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tough crowd some of you, those are nasty and long/painful-recovery injuries, best of luck to him
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
in a previous life I knew GS quite well - he's a good lad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An update on this story today:

http://news.uk.msn.com/mp-tells-of-ipsa-wheelchair-block

Quote:
An MP who was seriously injured in a skiing accident had to borrow the electric wheelchair of a colleague's aunt because the expenses watchdog would not grant him one.

Conservative Graham Stuart sustained a collapsed lung, five broken ribs and a "smashed up" pelvis in a freak accident on a skiing weekend in Chamonix in the French Alps in March.

Luckily his Tory colleague Adam Holloway MP was on hand to lend him his aunt's electric wheelchair which was in her garage.
ski holidays
HMRC is quite clear on what is an allowable expense and what isn't. If your employer was dumb enough to let you claim something like that, you'd have to pay tax on it as a benefit.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
first rule of online news articles..... NEVER bother to read the comments

... The snowHead Apres Zone is probably best avoided as well Laughing
snow conditions
Graham Stuart MP doesn't seem to have much grip on reality. The latest is that he's been huffing at the Huffington Post [see footnote] ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/11/tory-mp-skiing-crash_n_3579796.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

As we see above, he seemed coy to reveal where and why the ski accident had occurred, and now says he became aware of the adversities of disabled people by needing to borrow a wheelchair from a fellow Tory MP. I won't make any obvious political points!
ski holidays
couldnt he afford to hire one???? rolling eyes
snow report
Its a good job he went on that fact-finding tour of the Carribean courtesy of the Jamacian Tourism Board the month before he pulverized his pelvis. No fun lounging by the pool in a surgical truss...
snow report
I gather that He's a pretty good MP, so I think that some of the cheap shots above are a little uncalled for. It does surprise me that he even applied to IPSA for them to pay for his wheelchair. It has nothing to do with them. It's not for the employer to pay for these things. It is surely down to the individual, then any relevant NHS or benefits body? Of course, if he is unfit to work and his employer (IPSA) says 'Look Graham, we really need you in the office. If we provide a wheelchair would that make it possible for you to come in?' then that would be different.
ski holidays
Eh? The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) does not employ MPs. It does vet their expenses, but the man comes across as a bit of a fool to me (I wonder how many ski lessons he's taken, and whether he was skiing beyond his ability?) and should cover the costs of his own errors on a ski trip taken during the parliamentary term.
ski holidays
Quote:

if he is unfit to work and his employer (IPSA) says 'Look Graham, we really need you in the office. If we provide a wheelchair would that make it possible for you to come in?' then that would be different.

that's a fairly standard approach for an employer with a disabled employee. The provision of, for example, a "reader" for a blind person would be a lot more costly. OK, he's only temporarily disabled and his terms and conditions probably entitle him to 6 months sick leave on full pay - would that be preferable?
ski holidays
A bit of contextual info: http://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/
latest report
I would have thought his travel insurance might cover the cost. However, it looks as if he is trying to get a motorised chair and not just the NHS standard and wants us to pay for it, which ain't right.
latest report
Quote:

Eh? The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) does not employ MPs.
I appreciate that, but in this instance they are, sort of, the HR department who would sign off on these things.
snow report
Quote:

It does vet their expenses, but the man comes across as a bit of a fool to me (I wonder how many ski lessons he's taken, and whether he was skiing beyond his ability?)

He fell down and injured himself. Please feel free to hit me up with some links substantiating your (so far) unfounded opinion?
I have to be honest, if I injured myself and I came across someone who started talking about whether I was 'boarding 'beyond my ability' I would give them pretty short shrift. Run over their toes on my wheelchair or something Razz
snow report
zanarchist, I'm genuinely not trying to be high and mighty here but you can talk to any professionally trained skier who will confirm that the more serious ski training you take, the less the risk of falling and injury. People don't seem to realise what great value (protection, skill, fun, lifetime investment) good ski instruction provides.

If someone has some video of Graham Stuart MP skiing we could check out his skill levels before this horrible accident.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith, couldn't agree more re training...

but....zanarchist is on the right track methinks

notably, the accident did not involve anyone else ... it came after a couple of days' demanding skiing including off-piste....that's good, so he didn't plough into others (unlike some I could mention), so no moral capital lost there, then...

so.......

1 has anyone here EVER gone outside their envelope? er...yes
2 what's the injury tally of skiers like Thovex, Sayers, and other free-skiers? er...pretty big
3 has anyone here had an accident which they regret? er...just look at the other forums here...

It's clear that MPs, celebs etc can put thrust themselves into the public eye but I think there was simply modest local reporting in this case rather than excessive self-promotion.
ski holidays
plenty of skilled and experienced skiers on this forum have injured themselves, some badly. Some even manage it without skiing at all. Poor Chemmy Alcott did herself a nasty, too and she hardly lacked good training, skill and top grade fitness.

I do find the tone of some of the comments here very nasty and petty. It's a good job some people with personal knowledge of this apparently hard-working and able MP have chipped in, otherwise the thread would have become even more pathetic. Evil or Very Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy