Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHAAM! GAPOWWW! The sudden, unexpected, explosive fall (follow on from ‘Falling’ thread)

Poster: A snowHead
my last major one was last Easter, skiing just to the side of the piste in heavy falling snow, nice snow, good turns, suddenly my skis feel very light as I make a turn, I then realise there is no snow underneath me anymore and I've just 'dropped' off a rather large ledge.....fortunately I was only winded, the guy who was following me had stopped, peeked over and asked if I was ok....

My last one I got injured on was doing BASI short turns on a easy blue, dunno what happened, maybe crossed tip, but slow forward tumble, sharp pain in calf and ripped calf muscle! Bindings released as well Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The one time I royally wrecked was when I was going too fast - because the piste was empty - in end of day EOSB slush moguls in Val Thorens. I think I must have caught an edge, but all I remember is suddenly flying through the air, facing the sky, and then landing with all my weight on my head. I wasn't wearing a helmet, and because of that, I now do. I will hold my hands up and admit, lesson learned, no such thing as 'I can't be bothered' any more! I didn't actually pass out - I think - but I could hardly see things were so black and fuzzy. I had to ski down like that. Had fantastic whiplash from the force of landing on head and so much pressure/strain on neck, and a cracking headache.

I was young, probably about 17, I'm a f**k-tonne more cautious now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This wasn't me (fortunately): a guy clipped an edge near the edge of a piste and careened into the refrozen crud (still somehow on one ski) got spun around and for a brief moment I thought he would masterfully save it however he went down with his skis in herringbone position and hand down in front of him. As he hit each lump of refrozen crud his rental olin's flexed and pinged him up about 1ft into the air and after about 5 increasing reverse kangaroo bounces he finally got pinged down onto the snow and the spectacle stopped . The length of time and distance he covered in various orientations of flailing around was very impressive and the helpless pogoing at the end was a brilliant finish.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still suffering from one that happend almost a year ago.

Late season, spring slush, riding super-fast switch, showing off a bit with some mates, hit a slushy bump, caught an edge and hit the ground HARD. Shocked faces all round. Knackered AC joint in my right shoulder that is still causing me problems.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Accidenbtally front flipped to bum over a cattrack once in very flat light. Would have been glad for a hapless beginner in front of me as I would have then seen something and pulled up short. Did a slash stop in a nice bit of snow near an edge once and the snow provided a bit less resistance than expected Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
One poster above was worried after an unexpected fall because he thought his ski companions would be so out of control they wouldn't be able to stop after his crash. Did they all carry on hooning around over blind horizons afterwards?

I should let this go, but woah, holy huge assuption, Batman!

It wasn't my friends I was worried about! I've done accident training (water, not mountain), and first up is Danger. Flat on my face just over the crest of a hill = low down on the list of good places to be. Can't remember if it was before or after my fall (same run though) that we witnessed a Russian guy ski through a woman at speed, thankfully she was uninjured, but very shaken up. I don't think being wary of others is a bad way to be.

Also, though we could probably (definitely) be accused of hooning around at times, that was not the day for it - flat light, weird snow, first day, unfamiliar kit, busy slopes.

Also, *ahem*, female Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
narc, I think that one does need a video. See if he can do it again Skullie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is me last Saturday on lightweight 90mm waisted touring skis, skiing in shallow powder with a very thin crust that was very grabby on the skis. Too much looking at the camera instead of where I was going at the end of the run ....

http://youtube.com/v/YmpZcd0AMBM

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 21-03-13 1:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, 20 seconds of style ...... and then????????
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thornyhill wrote:
DB, 20 seconds of style ...... and then????????

.............. a 360 on a dime. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
360 with a twist, double pike, quarter somersault and some interesting sound effects. Have now clicked on 20 seconds about 100 times. I cry a bit more every time

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

No one in my group saw it happen, as they were still above the brow of the lump. A bad place to fall, I was quickly aware, when I realised that no one coming down the slope would see me until they were too close.

I said I wouldn't argue in this thread, so I won't, but can't resist posting my own favourite ski fall vid - it's not a GAPOWW and it's been posted before but it's a good one.

http://youtube.com/v/AwJNEU58pIc
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My own gapowww was a few weeks ago on my first ever guided day. It was about knee-deep fresh powder (cold, fluffy and fast) on the steepest face I've ever skied. One minute I'm making turns, thrilled and terrified all at the same time, the next I hit a submerged rock and double ejected out of my skies.

I flew head-first down the mountain for a few metres and the first thing to hit the snow was my face. It may have been deep snow but the impact made my brain mash inside my skull and I was a bit stunned. Next thing, I'm sliding down the mountain, face down and head first, picking up speed at a scary pace. Heard the guide shouting at me to stop myself, which I did eventually. I had to lie there for a minute or so, waiting for the brain wobble to stop.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few more like and including Pam W's fine example ......

http://youtube.com/v/8srG4s3U7SQ
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This one should come with a warning because it is pretty sketchy. Although miraculously (other than a cracked rib) I didn't get injured. My back protector paid for itself that's for sure.

http://youtube.com/v/0h6vX5WAO6Q
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/1IIO70dbndM
latest report
DB, that's fantastic. Laughing Laughing Laughing There's a never-ending supply of dickheads and clever video editors to keep us all amused.
snow conditions
Thornyhill, i so wanted the ice to give way under him as he was flouncing around at the end of that vid Laughing
latest report
Thornyhill, that's one of my favourites, the laughing gets me laughing every time Laughing
snow conditions
Sometimes, its not the snow that gets you. Did I feel guilty? Em, not really, it was his dads fault, and i held on as long as i could, hoping he would get out of the way. I know it looks like i was aiming at him, but its just physics, I wasn't..
http://youtube.com/v/hVmTR9p6IMI
snow conditions
coddlesangers, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You could have lobbed it to the side. Bloody good shot though
ski holidays
i honestly couldn't, thing was at its maximum tension, if i'd flung it aside earlier it still would have hit him - they always return to the centre no matter how much to the side you throw them. I did feel bad. Briefly. His father was oblivious to the fact that he was crossing a drag lift, I blame the parents....
latest report
... and that M'lud concludes the case for the defence. Totally agree, Dad was to blame. Kid will have learnt a good lesson though. Well done. Had it been my kid, I would probably have wet my pants.
snow report
ok, to make up for that, here's me making a lady's front bottom of myself, annoyed at my mrs skiing slowly, i decide to whoosh past.. with consequences that she found funny...
http://youtube.com/v/bLtTimiAG1Y?t=6m35s
latest report
coddlesangers, S'ok kids with helmets on are invincible.....

Surely everyone has to "test their bindings" every week...nice big face plant full length with double heel release, ideally...extra points for losing accessories/sticks/skis... and the first one over buys the drinks! Blush
ski holidays
Thornyhill, awesome...but they're speaking German..are they spies? Laughing Laughing
snow report
coddlesangers, the first video has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.
snow report
coddlesangers, seems another good reason for wearing a helmet!! LOL
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmer, I'll masturbate to most things on the internet, but not that.

OK I'm lying.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy