Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Squire 11

Poster: A snowHead
Hi ,
Anybody had experiance of these Marker Squire 11 bindings, they seem much lighter at 1540g than other bindings typicaly 1900g to 2200g, which I like Very Happy . I am a lightweight at 58 kg so use a din of 5 or 6 depending on ski length so din range is perfect at 3 -11. My concern is I did ski on marker bindings on some hire skis this season, they were stiff to get into not as positive as I am used to and did suffer 3 or 4 pre releases, is this typical?, I have read of some reviews saying similar things.

Additional question is how ieasy is it to change the brake for different widths?

Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use them on one of my skis, no problems so far. Nice and positive click into them. I'm 85kgs and they're mounted on Volkl Mantras in a 191. No idea about brake changing I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
njl1968, They're a lightweight binding & don't have the best torsional stiffness & like their big brother Jester/Griffon versions got thicker base plates last season to stiffen them up. Opening the binding gives a disconcerting click which sounds likes something's breaking but it's a 'feature'. Brakes are a doddle to swap, just undo the two retaining screws & slide the brake forwards off the rail. The latest series of Marker bindings all run a lot of forward pressure setting which can make them stiff to get in to, especially if you're light weight. And stores often don't set the forward pressure quite high enough meaning they are prone to pre-release which was probably your issue with the rentals you had - I've had two pairs of Markers in my shop this week were the two different major stores who'd mounted the bindings hadn't set them correctly. The Squire are designed specifically for your weight/din so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I wouldn't recommend the Squire for big lads driving big skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Additional to (and in accord) with Jon's comments above: If the bindings you used were Squire demos then the BSL adjustment markings are never very accurate and as a result you have to re-adjust every fitting to get the forward pressure anywhere near right. they are a much greater faff to set up than a Tyrolia or Sally hire binding, and as a result don't get set up right quite often.
If you bought the Squire for your own skis they would need setting up right for you once, then the job is done, so no problem.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
njl1968, I put some on my Coombaks a couple of years ago --- so I can use touring boots. I am a similar size to you and have had no issues. IIRC the brake just screws on so easy to change.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys useful info think I will buy some whilst they are on offer! then all I need is some new skis! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
njl1968, I put some on my Coombaks a couple of years ago --- so I can use touring boots. I am a similar size to you and have had no issues. IIRC the brake just screws on so easy to change.

How does that work? The Squire is an alpine binding from Marker, it doesn't have height adjustment at the toe like the Marker Tour series and so doesn't accommodate a touring boot any better than any other alpine binding. Unless I'm getting my bindings confused.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker, the Squire does have a manual toe height adjustment like the Tour series but the adjustment is with an allen key in the leading edge of the AFD. It's range of adjustment is not quite as much as that on the Tours so it's not a given that all AT boots will fit but many do & do all the 'walk to ride' flat vibram soles.

Marker are launching their dual height (alpine & AT) Lord binding next season to give this functionality to the Jester binding which is a lot more substantial for bigger/more aggressive users. The Lord utilises the existing Jester/Griffon mounting pattern to make for an easy upgrade without having to redrill etc.

http://youtube.com/v/fh2FL49u65E
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, right that's very interesting, thanks.

Is this Squire info true of any of the Marker demo bindings?

Will The Lord SP be available in a demo vesion?

I'm off to ring Pure Fishing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker wrote:
Is this Squire info true of any of the Marker demo bindings?

Nope

midgetbiker wrote:
Will The Lord SP be available in a demo vesion?

A demo version's not on my price list so I think not.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got Squire on my twin-tips, Griffon on my fat pow skis and Baron on my all mountain skis.

I agree that the click when coming out the Squire is a little bit like something's snapped, but they certainly perform well enough.

FWIW, I'm 86kg and 5'8"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry for bumping an old thread - but.....

I have a pair of Marker Squire's on my lovely shiny new Nordia HnB steadfasts. They were fitted for me in Chamonix, but the fitter didn't use my boot, just the measurement of the sole length (to be fair, i didn't let him as i needed my boots for a ski). I now suspect that the fit isn't quite right, as i've found myself not exactly stepping out of them, but the bindings have released under a lot less pressure than i thought would be needed - had a small loss of control off piste and the thing hopped off, leaving me somewhat perplexed. Should it be possible for me to adjust the toe piece so i get a tighter fit? If so, how? Or is the wisdom of the board to take them to a pro? Won't be back in Chamonix for a while, obviously would usually bop back to the shop in question.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@coddlesangers, Forward pressure not high enough, (mentioned above) and you adjust the heel to increase it. I don't use this binding so someone else will be along, or just take to a shop when you next go skiing. Don't adjust it with the boot in or you will prob damage the screw

here

http://theskimonster.com/blog/posts/how-to-adjust-your-marker-ski-bindings/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tks very much - just checked, it was way off. Have adjusted as per the guide, looks flush now so hopefully that's that!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
coddlesangers wrote:
Tks very much - just checked, it was way off. Have adjusted as per the guide, looks flush now so hopefully that's that!

You need to check/adjust the manual toe height as well.
snow report
glp9 wrote:
I use them on one of my skis, no problems so far.

What do you use on the other one?!
ski holidays
I bought a new pair of skis for my youngest in kaprun this summer and came with marker squire bindings. So far so good. Used them at xscape and he loved them. His boots were too small for him so got his brothers old boots which now fit him perfectly. Now the issue of the binding adjustment. One moved no problem but the other is just not moving at all. It even came off at one point. It's as if the screw is just not connecting with the plate/ratchet (????) properly. Is this fixable? Anyone got any help other than taking it to a local shop to sort?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy