Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Post-beginner skier ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, I'm definitely no longer a complete beginner. But I return to skiing like one on extremely icy/mogully (Mowgli?) runs, or when I get THE FEAR. I've never done off-piste to the extent I'd claim to even know what to do even only in theory.
I WAS hoping to get a couple of videos of me skiing so I could ask for advice on what to focus on to improve (everything needs to be better, but there are probably areas that would have the most impact). However, it was too blooming cold to ask a mate to record me, and the rubbish video function on my ancient point and shoot is pretty useless anyway (as you'll see below).

I got a couple of quick clips, both fairly non-representative - on one I thought the piste smoother than it turned out to feel, so I felt I didn't ski anywhere near my best (my poling was even more rubbish than normal), and the other ... I can't remember my excuse for the other. Ho hum. I was working on short turns this week, though do know I wasn't completing them. Also was trying to bring my legs closer together, but couldn't make it stick, and felt very unstable.

Anyway - New Gen instructor said level 6 classes would be fine in future, level 7 would push me. But looking at the videos here: http://www.skinewgen.com/find-your-level/find-your-ski-level/ I would laugh with glee were I able to take bumps the way the level 6 video shows.

SO - if you can't get ANYthing from these, I wouldn't be surprised. But if you can ... what's my worst habit/thing I need to fix fastest?

http://youtube.com/v/TnBscOvj-7Y (green trousers). This was the oh balls I've lost control one.

http://youtube.com/v/WdipRyYFp5M&feature=player_detailpage#t=9s - I'm the tiny dot back centre from 9-10 seconds in. I'm not completing the turns, so more skis across mountains. Owt else?

Is the one lesson from all the above: I need a better camera/something a mate doesn't need to take gloves off to use?

Can I get much benefit from indoor slopes? If so, doing what?

Want to be semi-decent eventually. I know I'll never be genuinely good since I a) possess an element of self-preservation (the FEAR), and b) started 4 years ago and am not 7.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-03-13 9:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OliviaDB, Great benefit from indoor slopes; start racing this will teach you to turn and carve.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I blame it on them red skis! wink

Seriously though looks pretty good, you look in better shape on the second vid- all looks nicely controlled. On the first vid-steeper pitch, things to work on in a dome- practise getting the pressure on earlier in the turn on the new outside turning ski, you'll have an easier time controlling the turn and speed, try to get it on before the falline, by pressuring earlier you'll be more able to spread the pressure build up over the whole turn instead of leaving it all till the end of the turn.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cynic wrote:
OliviaDB, Great benefit from indoor slopes; start racing this will teach you to turn and carve.

They long enough to race? Even before I was post-beginner, I got down them pretty fast.
Are there groups/courses indoor slopes run that would be decent?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OliviaDB, I've recommended Inside Out to you on another thread. Also I believe there's race training to be had at Hemel (run by the Hemel people themselves.)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OliviaDB, err it is slalom not downhill, would stop you turning your shoulders

Blush
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OliviaDB wrote:
I'm not completing the turns, so more skis across mountains. Owt else?

What sort of short turn are you aiming for?

http://youtube.com/v/zpYP77OZW9c
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gatecrasher wrote:
I blame it on them red skis! wink

Seriously though looks pretty good, you look in better shape on the second vid- all looks nicely controlled. On the first vid-steeper pitch, things to work on in a dome- practise getting the pressure on earlier in the turn on the new outside turning ski, you'll have an easier time controlling the turn and speed, try to get it on before the falline, by pressuring earlier you'll be more able to spread the pressure build up over the whole turn instead of leaving it all till the end of the turn.

Thank you! Happy
The first vid the pitch was fairly easy for me. It's just only in the last couple of weeks that I've not suddenly reverted to rubbish skiing when faced with anything other than perfect corduroy, and in that one I was thrown off by unexpected lumps of looser snow (though it looked as smooth as).

But sounds like your tip definitely applies, as I do feel the pressure is during the latter part.

(Red skis RED SKIS. Saw one other person in whole resort with Kneissls.)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
OliviaDB wrote:
I'm not completing the turns, so more skis across mountains. Owt else?

What sort of short turn are you aiming for?

http://youtube.com/v/zpYP77OZW9c

Will watch video when not in office. *pretending to be adult*
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic wrote:
OliviaDB, err it is slalom not downhill, would stop you turning your shoulders

Blush

Which is the number one thing I clearly do when I see bumps or get the fear. Will investigate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica wrote:
OliviaDB, I've recommended Inside Out to you on another thread. Also I believe there's race training to be had at Hemel (run by the Hemel people themselves.)

Spotted it. Browsing the website in between bouts of work. Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy