Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My rebel ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
boots in hand luggage with EJ..... check (no issues)
car hire from French side of GVA....no snow tyres, no chains .....check (no accidents/getting stuck)
short-cut down the CH side of Geneva with no vignette.....check
rented apartment from internet stranger - cash up front.....check (apartment was there and excellent)
hired skis with no insurance.....check (not one ski was stolen)
skied all week with no helmet.....check (no more brain damaged than I was a week ago)
skied off piste in terrible visibility with no avalung/transceiver/'proper kit' .....check (still alive)

An entire week of doing everything wrong and our biggest drama was when some knob left his bag unattended in GVA this morning forcing a shut-down of the entire CH side of the airport. Only way to get air-side was through the three internal French security gates......some people shouldn't be let out
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's very nice for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, I detect some sarcasm. You probably haven't read my previous 10 years of Murphy's Law escapades Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thornyhill wrote:
short-cut down the CH side of Geneva with no vignette.....check

I did an airport run this weekend for my sis. Last year I had the vignette, but not this year. So I found a really backstreet route instead. Just under an hour from Annecy to GVA door to door. The toll route (6 quid each way + vignette cost) is theoretically 35 minutes, but frequently incurs queues round the St Julien border crossing, and round the tunnels where the exit to Perly is. My way is also well scenic (via the Pont de la Caille). Recommended!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thornyhill, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thornyhill, glad you were lucky with the weather, at least for the drive. Was this your Les Contamines trip?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh wrote:
Thornyhill, Very Happy

to give you a rough idea - I took OH and the kids on a really cheap 2 day tour of Paris a couple of years back. Then some volcano erupted........
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Thornyhill, glad you were lucky with the weather, at least for the drive. Was this your Les Contamines trip?

Yeah - It was awesome. Couple of days of zero visibility, couple of days when we were the first people out of Signal. I would love to know how they work out the amount of snow that has fallen. Wednesday morning we were over the Coins side, shin deep in untouched powder on piste. Snow report said 2 cm?????? All the ski schools seemed to to stick to Montjoie run down to the bottom chair for the week. The rest of the place was deserted. Went to Les Houches yesterday and really appreciated how quiet Les C actually was.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thornyhill, yes, it's usually quiet. When I've been to places like the 3V or Val D'Isere in supposedly quiet times (visiting my son when he was working there) I've been surprised by how busy the pistes were. Lifts were OK, because the lift systems are awesome, but the pistes were like they are around here at half term!

The Arly Valley makes Les Contamines look crowded. wink Glad you enjoyed it. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

The Arly Valley makes Les Contamines look crowded. wink Glad you enjoyed it. snowHead

Might try 'The Arly Valley' next time, but I would be hard pushed to miss Les C in the future. Really has been the first time that I wasn't looking over my shoulder for a lunatic on every turn. OH and kids thought the same. We are all sick to be back in Ireland on St Paddys day Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was running the vignette gauntlet a couple of years ago for some forgotten reason. Got to the border and they were doing a spot check on the leaving CH side Shocked (big queue, cops everywhere). Pulled onto the hard-shoulder 100m from the checkpoint and put the bonnet up whilst Mrs S legged it across to the other side and bought a vignette at the booth. Stuck it on, drove through with a wry smile from the cop as he waved us by.... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy