Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Death of 'iceman' scientist prompts renewed suspicion of 'iceman's curse'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An Australian scientist working to complete a book on the secrets of 'Oetzi', the 5300-year-old man found on a glacier on the Austrian-Italian border in 1991, has been found dead.

His death brings the number of researchers to have died since being in close contact with 'Oetzi' to seven.

This report from The Australian.

Quote:
Rumours of a Tutankhamen-style curse started a year ago when the man who discovered the mummy, Helmut Simon, 67, fell to his death during a freak blizzard while hiking near the spot where he found Oetzi protruding from the ice.

Within an hour of Mr Simon's funeral, the head of the mountain rescue team sent to find him, Dieter Warnecke, 45, died of a heart attack.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To play safe can any snowhead pin point the skiing resort nearest to 'Oetzi' so that we could stay away from it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good question! I know it's in the Oeztal area, so I guess Soelden and Obergurgl are not too far away, but as to the very closest ski resort ... I can't find a map of his location where found by Helmut Simon. Here he is now, safely tucked up in his own ice box:

Photo: South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology, Bolzano, Italy

"The Iceman is preserved in his own specially designed cold storage chamber. The block consists of two identical cold chambers with independent refrigeration systems. The mummy is kept in one of them, at a temperature of -6° C and relative air humidity of 98%. An examination room and a decontamination room precede the chambers. Visitors can view the mummy through a small window."

http://www.archaeologiemuseum.it/f01_uk.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-11-05 17:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obergurgl, but it's too good to stay away from on the basis of superstitious mumbo jumbo.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welll, since the mummy is in Bolzano, Italy, you'd better check the maps, all of the Dolomites, Madonna di Campiglio, Sciliar, and many, many other resorts are nearer to the mummy than any of the Austrian one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I visited Obergurgl/Hochgurgl many times in my youth, Indeed I am contemplating re-visiting again soon.
All this talk of curses and suspicious deaths is a load of rubbish and hasn't afffff
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shite! I have booked to go to Sella Ronda the coming March.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's actually Val Senales - you can skin to the site of Otzi's discovery in a two or three hours, if memory serves.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I could mention a few similar situations, for one, the Egyptian Pyramids curse..... every last man, woman, child, insect, bacteria, cell involved in their construction is dead..... definite curse Shocked

So be warned, if you build an egyptian pyramid, you will die.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy