Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, how long, or short are skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday Craigdon Sports was up on top at Cairngorm (in a wee tent, at 40 mph of sideways snow)

I tried out some skis (Atomic Infinite Storm - it suited the weather). They're an all mountain mid-fat, for ladies. I do need new skis but can't afford new (these were @ £400). My usual buying technique is to do research and buy a couple of skis on ebay, selling off the one that I didn't prefer.
So, I like the stability and the can-do-anything wider all-mountain. I am a much better skier these days, am developing an aggressive streak so need a firmer ski that can take me down reds or more. I will be skiing mainly (only?) in Scotland so there will be crud and ice too. I don't expect I'll be going off-piste.

My current skis are stockli spirits (163cm) but they're now far too soft and bendy and light (and their camber is vanishing from hard skiing).

So do you think a wider, all-mountain ski is indeed what I need? I am looking at some Black Diamond Ethics (156cm) and Elan M666 (168cm) on ebay. (I am 5'8 and 9stone 5, btw).

Which leads to the next quest. I recently tried my son's Dynamic V27s (170cms) and quite enjoyed them. But everyone I travelled with up on the T bar had much shorter skis than me. Full grown men were on 160s. Is this ski midgeting an on-going trend?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask them about how they like using snowblades, and whether they've heard of Rule 5?

If the length works for you, that's fine.

Just out of interest, ff you're not going off piste, why do you feel a wider ski would be a good thing?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serriadh, Correction - it was Affinity Storm (in the storm, I couldn't hear him properly). The sidecut on those is 127 - 84 - 107.
I'm only going slightly wider - up til now I've had carving skis.
My argument with myself was that in Scotland, the pistes are rarely perfect. There's lots of ice, wind blown build ups, crud snowballs. The actual length of time spent (attempting) carving isn't that long, especially as I spend more time on the outer runs rather than the main runs.

Is that a good argument, because I'm willing to be swayed...?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe I should just ask, what skis are good for everything and how long should they be?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sofia, my experience of Scottish skiing (1970-1995) is that although the pistes can be somewhat variable, it's generally snow of a "firmer" nature.

I would be suggesting looking for a firmer, narrower ski, somewhere 70-80 mm wide underfoot. (Personally, I would be looking for a new pair of slalom skis).

155-160cms would sound about right.

The Ethics don't sound like what you like from this review http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=54
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok - thanks for that, I'll keep looking. In terms of slalom skis, what are the favourites? under a new name,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sofia, You are very similar in size to Mrs Ski. As an inbounds ski she has Apache Recons @160cm. Offpiste/touring Gotbacks at 174. For a slalom ski she uses 155s (when she can get them off me !).

I would not suggest a slalom ski --- although this would be perfect for when the Cas has the texture of formica, a more all-round ski (e.g. Movement Tattoo) will give you more fun when the snow is a bit softer.

A few years ago, we were restricted to using the traverse, and then the Cas tow track to ski down. The tow track was about 1m wide. At that time we all used 2m skis Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that - But, but....the Movement Tattoo has a a 94cm waist! The ethics are narrower!

I guess in good conditions, any ski does a pretty good job (depending on the rider) but I would like something that is strong but manoeuvrable.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sofia, I suggested the Tatoos, because a friend of mine with similar dimensions as you likes them. As you say -
Quote:

any ski does a pretty good job

-- so you probably need to demo some. Without knowing how you ski --- I'd look for something marketed as an all-rounder rather than piste-specific -- and (given your location) --- the ability to turn on heather and mud would help too....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sofia, i don't think a race ski ideal for you but something like the volkl rtm series (previously AC) would work, a decent piste orientation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, Volkl rtm is a full rocker ski - should I not have a mix of camber and rocker for full mountain use?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sofia, I'm 5'8" but a fair bit heavier than 9st Embarassed and I'm on 173cm skis. Like you, I look around the cable car or funicular and wonder why everyone else has these titchy little things.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sofia, i don't think it reallyis full rocker. Anyway,if you're looking ebay you'll probablynot befinding any rockeredpisteskis cheap wink

Edit: it's just a mild early rise tip. Nothiing to worry about will just make the ski feel shorter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 5'7" and on 193cm !!!! mind you they are 112mm wide and have tip & tail rockers so ski shorter

Whitedot Preachers. Pretty dam good all rounders except for ice

My first skis were 210cm and 57mm wide, but then everyone elses was longer in those days
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
madmole, Preachers only go up to 189, and don't have rocker...
ski holidays
As my birthday is coming up and it's a big one, I will be looking for contributions from my family for a new set of skis, so if I sell my Stocklis for @ £50 then I should have a budget of £150. Bet that doesn't cover Whitedot preachers!
Today my google trail has covered:
K2 Apache Crossfire
Fischer RC4
Atomic Nomad (of all kinds)
Scott Crusade
Volkl RTM
Movement Tattoo
Blizzard 8.5
Blizzard Firebird
Atomic TM22
Volkl Attiva
K2 Tru Luv yadda yadda.

It won't be a high finance deal but it's significant to me!
ski holidays
Sofia, Enjoy your shopping !
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Sofia, i don't think a race ski ideal for you but something like the volkl rtm series (previously AC) would work, a decent piste orientation.

http://www.volkl.com/us/skis/technology/voelkl-rocker-designs/full-rocker.html

Possibly the previous skis bearing the name were cambered, but the current ones (77, 80 and 84 listed in the link) don't appear to be. Seems a strange design choice for a ski of that width.

madmole wrote:
Whitedot Preachers. Pretty dam good all rounders except for ice

They'd be a very odd choice for a Scottish piste ski!
snow report
Serriadh, my bad. I would have sworn the site said tip rocker yesterday.

Odd. I agree it seems like a strange design choice.
snow conditions
Sofia, have done most of my skiing and I would say don't be scared to go fatter, where do you normally go? If you like Glencoe then more often than not you will be skiing unpisted runs anyway. I hate ice so wouldn't ski in Scotland if it was icy so i tend to like skis that work better in the lovely spring snow we get. Of your choices...

K2 Apache Crossfire, pretty narrow, no Recons?
Fischer RC4 too narrow
Nomads) I tried i think the Blackeye? it might work well
Scott Crusade not tried but Scott skis generally get a good name and spec looks fun.
Volkl RTM
Movement Tattoo
Blizzard 8.5
Blizzard Firebird
Atomic TM22
Volkl Attiva, maybe Tierra, Aura or Kenja?
K2 Tru Luv yadda yadda. Lotta Luv better
snow report
lynseyf, Hi, not managed to ski anywhere but Cairngorm (almost always) and Lecht (very occasionally). Would like to try Glenshee if I could get up an hour earlier.... I have been promised an overseas holiday later this autumn but for now it's Scottish skiing only. Thanks for the insight into these skis. I think I have to take into account that these skis should perform well in the worst Scottish conditions (ice and snowballs) cos they'll be fine in the nice stuff (I guess narrow waists are no good in powder, but, you know what I mean). I wonder if a more carefully ground edge on a slightly wider ski would help with the ice? So Yes to a good camber, a slightly wider waist, a wider tip, less flex, possibly lady specific and within £150!!

lynseyf, do you have any opinions on Black Diamond Ethics? They are supposed to be a step down from the wider all mountain but more geared towards groomers.

I could go and try more skis out, btbh I really don't have the money for new skis and all they could give me re hints as to the width and firmness of ski I'm looking at.
snow report
Sofia, If you could raise a little more plus post I have a lady specific 155 Atomic race slalom which would be excellent on ice, has won a championship on just that.
snow conditions
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Storm-Rage-FS-166cm-Skis-2011-Model-/150985848249?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item23277535b9

What do people think of these?
It's a UK company and the reviews are good. I'm not adverse to twintip (I saw how my son loved his) but I'm not sure about the separate bindings. I know it's to let the ski flex under foot - are they less stable?
ski holidays
Cynic, thanks for that! I'll go count my money and get back to you. I'm not certain yet if slalom is definitely the thing, but I'm definitely looking at all possibilites!...
snow conditions
Cynic, Is it the Atomic Race Ti Sl?
ski holidays
Sofia, nice graphics. I don't know what you mean by separate bindings?
snow conditions
Do you just mean 'normal bindings'? As in ones that aren't fitted to some kind of fancy mounting rail? A vast number of people use them without problems!
ski holidays
Sofia, Serriadh,

Bindings can be fitted to a ski in two ways, 1) with screws - which has been done since the year dot, and 2) with a manufacturer specific rack. No differenec at all to the user.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sofia, what about these if you can stretch to another £25?

http://www.nevisport.com/pr/3199/blackeye-skis-with-xto-10r-bindings
snow conditions
Sofia, Atomic are RD d2 SL tip deflectors nice top sheets and edges, before the previous poster has a chance given your light weight I have noticed are totally unsuitable, so will not sell them to you. .
snow report
Serriadh, I mean, integrated bindings versus separate bindings. I think twin tips never use intergrated bindings. I'm probably musing about nothing - don't know if there's any stability difference. Hey-ho.....Andybag, those are lovely skis! That would actually be £75 more than my budget - I would have to really negotiate strongly with my loved ones for those! Let's see how it goes. I may try and put this off til the summer and see if I can get those prices down any more....
ski holidays
Sofia, integrated bindings and separate bindings don't have any stability difference in principle. Integrated bindings are great for the manufacturer as they force you to buy the bindings of his choice.
snow conditions
under a new name, Great - (bet they're lighter too)
Cynic, Haha! Ok - I could just eat more doughnuts?
ski holidays
Sofia, Try and get to one of the Demo days at Glenshee if you can. K2, Volkl and Line do them, maybe more? Try as many skis as you can, even ones fatter, longer, with funkier graphics than you think you will like then compare all the skis you liked best. Use that info to look for older skis with similar characteristics eg. I like to turn so prefer shorter radius, I also think rocker is hugely helpful in the variable snow we get in Scotland. If you get a really good deal on a second hand pair of skis you can probably sell them on for the same price you paid if you don't like them, loads of people do this, buy low season, sell January or just before school hols.

Sorry haven't tried any Black Diamond skis Sad
latest report
I am looking at buying some K2 Burnin Luv skis (2011). My choice is 153 or 160cms. I am very light for my height (9 and a bit stone/ 5'8"), so am thinking 153?? These are mostly camber with 10% rocker and a waist of 70mm. They're also very gorgeous. Me done good?
latest report
Sofia, LUV U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow............................ how long u bin skiing?

Quote:
Full grown men were on 160s.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wow..................... just how long they'd been skiing?????????????????????
latest report
skimastaaah, Luv U 2.
Not long.
So I guess you reckon that 153 is too short - it's just under my nose. I'd prefer that they did their old 156 length - 153 is a dumb length in any ski.
latest report
Sofia, The Burnin Luvs are very much piste skis only, Lotta Luv or equivalent better if you are wanting something a little more all mountain from K2 women's skis, if you see any cheap Auras they would be great for Scotland
ski holidays
Sofia, 160s ! 153 is, as you say, a dumb length snowHead I was wondering what other lengths are dumb ---- I've never really got on with 174s, or 169s for that matter...........
latest report
ski, Ok, will do what I'm told. The K2 burnin luv is the most beautiful ski I've ever seen. Not that I judge skis on that basis, ahem...
But the funny thing, that if I go on my weight (130lbs) I should be on 150s but by height, 165s. Hmmmm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy