Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Falling over

Poster: A snowHead
I usually fall over regularly once every 2 or 3 days… if it’s a powder day this may increase to 2 or 3 times a day+
I think it is good to fall so you know how to and not hurt yourself while doing so…

I haven’t fallen for 20+ days now… and I think I’m changing how I ski so as not to do things that may make me fall….which I hate…

Need a powder day to get me right….

Does anyone else have issues about falling?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
II wrote:

Yes my daughter falls over far less than me. She only fell once in ADH last month and that was when I knocked her over Embarassed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do, terribly. Apart from my terrible technique and dodgy spine it's the biggest thing that holds me back in skiing* and is totally counter productive.

*Well, that and my skis, plus my boots don't fit 100%, and I'm not positive my jacket is quite technical enough.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's not the falling that's the problem its the landing on the rocks that hurts. Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The day you stop falling over is the day you've stopped pushing your skiing forwards to new levels!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to fall over once or twice each day of skiing. Except my skiing never got to any other level but the same one as the year before.

Then I took a couple of clinics and privates, during which I fell over no more often than my "usual"...

Since then, I don't fall over much, maybe once or twice a season. And I've been skiing a lot of the terrain I used to only side slip, or not even get close.

While falling should be accepted as part of learning, there's nothing to be proud of about the falling over part. It's at best a byproduct of learning but definitely not an indication of learning! The number of falls is not proportional to learning. And then you get to the kind of terrain where one must NOT falling over!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't mind falling (low centre of gravity - not so scary! wink ) it's getting up again that's the problem. Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica, You called wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B, quite. Embarassed Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Lunn, still skiing at 97, " “felt ashamed if I spent a day without falling. It meant I hadn’t been trying hard enough." He captained the British skiing team at the 1936 Winter Olympics.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, To be fair the PSB was mostly zero visibilty and deep very cut up snow, awful conditions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Claude B, aw, thanks for making excuses for me. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, I was making excuses for me, god knows how many times I went over Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B, yeah, but you didn't bleat for someone else to pick you up, did you now? wink As I say, it's not the falling that bothers me particularly, I'm just crap at getting up again. Maybe I should have some getting up lessons?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was a pleasure Very Happy
latest report
Claude B, Very Happy
snow conditions
Lessons in getting up again! how wrong does that sound on so many levels! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
II wrote:

Yep, hate it.

Thinking back though, I think you were following behind me & Helen in a claggy Ciste Gully about 3 winters back when I wiped out on some slab that had slipped in off the West Wall. I've since changed to Tech bindings, and their limited release consequences mean I now take much more care to look out for unexpected lumps.
snow conditions
Quote:

The day you stop falling over is the day you've stopped pushing your skiing forwards to new levels!

+1
ski holidays
I rarely fall. Obvioulsy I'm not trying hard enough - I hate falling over!

Saying that, I managed a majestic tumble in Saalbach on a silly traverse, we all fell over!

Chasseur has photographic evidence Embarassed
snow report
If you don't fall over you're not trying hard enough Very Happy
snow conditions
robapplegate wrote:

Exactly, sure every now and again you'll hurt yourself, but hey, that's part of the game. When I'm skiing for myself (as opposed to teaching) I'll fall multiple times per day, embrace it!
ski holidays
Quote:

If you don't fall over you're not trying hard enough

I am VERY guilty of this, can go a whole season without falling on piste!! think this saying may have an age limit though...
snow report
dulcamara, So what's the age limit then? Interesting that you say "on piste", so I presume you're happy to fall off piste?
snow conditions
robapplegate wrote:

As you progress there will be pitches where falling over really is not a good idea.
snow report
robapplegate wrote:
dulcamara, So what's the age limit then? Interesting that you say "on piste", so I presume you're happy to fall off piste?

Maybe off piste is more of a challenge, hence falling more.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
robapplegate wrote:

As you progress there will be pitches where falling over really is not a good idea.

True, so don't push yourself too hard there then, I don't know anyone who's so 'core they exclusively ski no fall zones.
latest report
robapplegate wrote:

Yes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
[

Also Yes.
snow report
I fall all the time off-piste, generally happier to do silly things off-piste because it doesn't hurt as much, also we have to factor in the ever embarassing quick stop and super slow motion, down-hill face-plant

Quote:

So what's the age limit then?

mum's 58, she fell once last month, slowly on ice, bruise was impressive to say the least (in her defence a guy did slide into the back of her) Of course the amount you are willing to fall changes for different people at different ages but Iknow a lot of people who dont want to fall at all and are more than happy cruising around and staying upright fora whole holiday, at this point the skiing progression is to make it safer not more exciting
ski holidays
I now fall pretty seldom and I think the answer is that I now focus on skiing things better rather than skiing slopes at the edge of my ability. Having small children also keeps me to red runs, but I fear they will be forcing me on to blacks soon.
ski holidays
I don't mind falling on snow, it's the stairs down to the toilets that scare me.
ski holidays
prometheus, Laughing
The answer is to take up snowboarding, no problem in those boots
ski holidays
robapplegate,

Naaah , don't think so . I'll fit a pee valve like on my dive drysuit, that'll be interesting on the chairlift. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
prometheus wrote:
I don't mind falling on snow, it's the stairs down to the toilets that scare me.

Laughing
snow conditions
My wife falls quite a bit, and it really upsets her because she really struggles to land softly! Hard to understand as she doesnt go that fast Little Angel lol

I on the other hand manage to fall only once or twice (usually her fault as Im turning round to wait for her NehNeh ). However, to make up for the lack of falls, Ive devised a neat trick of stopping my fall with my head in all circumstances! I always make sure I win 'best fall of the week' to make the OH feel better!
snow conditions
One of my favorites is the one where you're in low viz, come to a stop, put your pole in and promptly trip over it because you hadn't actually stopped at all, classic!
ski holidays
Quote:

One of my favorites is the one where you're in low viz, come to a stop, put your pole in and promptly trip over it because you hadn't actually stopped at all, classic!

It's not just me then!!!!!!! rolling eyes I also do this side sliding in lift queues
In my first week of sking, I knew I was progressing because I could actually count the falls in the day by the end of the week and falling was not an issue at those speeds. As time has gone on, I don't ski as close to the limit, as the limit has moved to a point where crossing it could have more serious consequences. Shocked
ski holidays
Took a fall this year on a nice flat groomed trail, after messing about in some trees Embarassed

Left a rather large dint in said groomed trail and suffered whiplash to one side of the neck - didnt stop me skiing though Toofy Grin Trying to lift head off the pillow in the morning was fun Madeye-Smiley

Falling over is part of skiing, I think you need to fall over at times just to be aware of what can happen in different circumstances, it can be fun trying to get up when your pole sinks down to the handle tho before you put much pressure on it Toofy Grin
snow report
tangowaggon,
Quote:

It's not just me then!!!!!!!
Absolutely! And ime, those falls are always heavy, 'deadweight' ones, because there's somehow no advance warning that you're going to fall.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy