Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got experience of Fernie at the end of the season, which I believe is 14th April this year?

Looking at the base-levels on Ski Club GB historical snow data, it seems to nose-dive from a respectable level at the end of the 1st week of April to zero by the middle of the third week. Is this accurate or just an anomaly in the data? would we be surfing melt-water instead of skiing during the 2nd week of April?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ToeEdgeTripper, I did a season there in 08/09 and it was pretty much done by April, but that was an awful year for snow in general so may not be representative. I believe the resort closes on the second weekend in April normally, but am not sure.

A good source for detailed historical snow reports: http://www.redtree.com/far
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi I'm heading to Fernie a week tomorrrow for 11nights - if you are looking for next year i can let you know what it's like when i get back ?

We've been wanting to go to Fernie for years but the school holidays are always too late for their season but this year we are able to go

Cannae wait 8 sleeps
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies.

When I enquired with RCR (Resorts of the Canadian Rockies) they warned me that the resort closed on 14th April and it would be "Spring skiing" when we're looking to go (3rd to 13th April). We've been to Colorado before and had excellent weather later than that, but that was a good snow year. Not sure how Fernie compares.

Thanks for the link spatters, I'll have a rummage around there and get some more info.

gemmie20, I bet you can't wait! Maybe not so useful for this year but I'd be definitely be interested to hear how you get on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are willing to consider other Canadian resorts, both mountains at Whistler stay open until the 21st of April. For me that would be a better bet for spring skiing - the main attraction of Fernie to me is the steep, ungroomed terrain which needs kind of needs fresh snow to be enjoyable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fernie can suffer from rain especially late in the season like that. I imagine conditions would usually be poor. Some Canadain resorts seem to just close becuase the golf season has started bt I suspect Fernie closes becuase of the conditions

Sunshine or Louise could be good though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I read on another forum, that it has been raining there last week...but no personal experience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Used to have a place there, love Fernie! Anyway, only skied one Easter, it did get slushy in the afternoon. We went up the hill early, on first lift, skied till around 10.30-11, stopped for a quick bagel breakie at the cafe, then back on until 2ish then would stop for the day. We loved it, but we are just cruisy skiers so enjoyed the nice weather as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone. It's really good to hear some first-hand experience of a resort.

Whistler was the first choice for that time of year, but the overall cost of flights/lift-pass put it out of reach. Sunshine or Louise is a good suggestion too, but I'm put off by staying in Banff and having the long journey to the slopes everyday. I know you could stay in near the resort, but it sounds as though there's not a lot else there.

Overall I think the chance of rain/warmer conditions makes Fernie too much of a gamble for me when the large cost of flights are involved. But having looked in more depth at Fernie, I think spatters is right, it's a place to visit with fresh snow, so I'll look forward to going another year and aim for March - it looks like peak conditions at that time.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hi there
so we are back from Fernie
we had a lovely holiday the sun shone bright everyday we were there! - so start of the holiday was fine but by half way through only morning skiing was excellent, by the afternoon it got slushy/sticky - Sad it was a great hill and VERY quiet, i woudl like to go again... but maybe when the kids are older so we can go out side the easter holidays will try and post a couple of pics.... been in contact with the excellent Rep we had since we got back and he says its rained since we left.. i think they have a big money race on this weekend and it's not looking great for that:-(
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and I think it's closing after this weekend...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gemmie20, thanks for your update.

Sounds like you had a good time in Fernie, it's a place I'd definitely like to try at some point in the future.

I tried to find a good late deal to US/Canada to an area with good spring snow, but the price of flights seemed to be the main issue in getting a good deal. In the end I decided as there's been such a good snowfall in Europe, it would be worth a try for late season. We went to St Foy (based on the reviews on here) and it was great for what we wanted. Again, it got slushy lower down at the end of the day, but there was enough higher up to make up for it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we did have a lovely time , just thought i should mention we normally go to Jasper as that fits in with the easter school holidays for us pretty much everytime - never! had the slushy stuff in Jasper Happy guess just becasuse it's higher/colder and i think i prefer the town and surrounding area of Jasper to Fernie, its just a bit of an epic journey for us to get to Jasper from scotland , on balance i think the extra 3 hours is worth it for Jasper:-)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy