Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tired old ski bases more slippery than new snowboard base. Is this right?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My Rossi Bandits are approaching 7 years old, and were rentals before I bought them. They've been well used. I bought a new snowboard (K2 slayblade) yesterday and when I got home with it and compared bases with my skis, the ski bases were much, much slipperier under my fingers than the board base. Both are sintered ptex. Thinking it might be because my new base has no wax on it I went ahead and waxed it. However the skis (which haven't been waxed in god knows how long) were still slipperier by far. Am I missing something, or is 'finger slippage' not an indicator of how the base will perform on snow?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

is 'finger slippage' not an indicator of how the base will perform on snow?

Clearly not.

If it's anything like the base on my K2 it will go like poo-poo off a shovel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is a very fast board (well the demo version of the exact board I bought was - I haven't used mine yet). The board base has pronounced grooves running fore to aft, the ski base doesn't. Although I haven't used my bandits for about 3 years, I don't remember them being a slow ski either though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well it's hardly a race machine, but then neither are the Bandits. A quick google didn't reveal precisely what the base is made of - not all sintered bases are the same by any means.

It's too late to say that the best way to test a board is to try it before you buy it, so I guess it is what it is.

Slipperiness is probably quite hard to measure, and perhaps how slippy it is on sub-zero snow is not the same as how slippy it may feel to a rather warmer finger.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No no, you misunderstand me. I'm perfectly happy with the board and I did try it before I bought it. My query was about whether it was right for my old skis to feel slipperier than my new board. It is undoubtedly a fast board - noticeably faster than my Burton Custom, yet the base feels slightly 'sticky' under my fingers compared to the ski bases.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
greengriff, skis an boards don't slide on their bases. Slipperiness to finger touch meaningless.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You clearly need to put a ski on one foot, board on the other. Set off from the top of your chosen slope, and see which foot gets to the bottom first. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lol. Maybe I could push them both off the top of a slope and see which one reached the bottom first!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, really? So if I leave my board flat on its base pointing downhill, it won't go anywhere? You can try it with yours first. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
greengriff, skis an boards don't slide on their bases. Slipperiness to finger touch meaningless.

What do they slide on then?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No idea if finger touch slipperiness has an correlation with on snow performance but I suspect not since fingers don't slide well on wax. Older skis/boards are often faster than new ones though because of the amount of wax in the bases which is why WC speed skis are waxed two zillion times before even seeing snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy