Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lazy Europeans on the snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
They don't ski the powder. Of all the cultural peculiarities that North American skiers and snowboarders discover in the Alps, that one leaves them the most dumbfounded. In Colorado and Vermont and British Columbia, diehards have been known to stand in lift lines before daybreak if it means fresh tracks. But in Europe, the overwhelming majority prefer the fluffiness squeezed out of the snow to make for easy cruising runs. Carving turns in powder, while fun, is an awful lot of work, and anything coming close to the W-word is a no-no for Europeans on holiday. That just means more freshies for you and me.

From Budget Travel Online

Fair enough? wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought the entire article was full of unsustainable cliches and generalisations. Worthless journalism in my opinion.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, budget journalism in fact ...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought that it was very poor journalism.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They just cant get over that europe has bigger and better ski mountains.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can only speak from the experience gained on my visits to US ski resorts where the snow was hammered down to the consitency of tarmac. Chatting to a California local at Heavenly about this, they call it "Sierra Cement" Smile
Makes you wonder if this piece has been cobbled together from a pile of old articles rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Along with many other members of this forum, I have skied a lot in North America and Europe. My view is that the standard of skiing in North America is generally better, since most skiers have reasonable access to snow as children hence adults have a lot of ski time under their belts. A huge number of European holidaymakers (as opposed to French, Austrian and Italian locals etc) learn to ski as an adult, although the number of children skiing is growing.

It is true that in North America, a freshies day sees all the locals pile out and search out the tracks early doors. However, that is equally true in Europe, we just don't shout about it in loud voices and yell 'Dude' and 'Sick' about everything. We also don't then belm on about it in some dreadful bar drinking p1ssweak 'beer' and exaggerating everything that we have achieved during the day. They just have no class.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flicksta, I'd tend to agree. They also seem happier taking lessons.

If the article's true (clearly it's not!!) then I want to know where they ski.

Although, I will admit it has to be a well wicked forecast to get me to have dinner the night before at 6.00pm, only a couple of glasses of wine and an early bed like many Americans. I can ski powder with a hangover. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The article is idiotic - they're not comparing like with like. The reason most European holiday skiers don't "ski the powder" is because they're (understandably) scared of being avalanched, so stick to the piste. In the US everything in-bound is avalanche-safe so any intermediate can have a go, hence the relative numbers out there. Which also means in the US the whole mountain becomes a mogul field if it hasn't snowed for 3 days, whereas in Europe you'll always find soft snow if you look hard enough.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I couldn't recognise any of the resorts, and of course they were looking for "european ski village charm", but if they think we don't ski powder they should come here. There are so many freeriders here that everything's tracked out really early. A bummer if you have beginners first thing. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

flicksta, I think you're really talking about English skiers. there are a great many French, Italians, Austrians, Germans and Swiss who are NOT locals, but who do ski from an early age.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, now I've read the article, apart from the powder nonsense I found the descriptions all very attractive and a reasonable point of view if you're used to US "resorts".

I mean, a good skier I know who lives in Squaw tried to persuade me to visit on the grounds that they had lockers at the foot of the slopes where you could leave your packed lunch. "how convenient is that?" he crowed. If your experience of skiing is North America then you are going to focus on all the quaint, cliched, generalised elements of the "traditional" European scene.

In fairness, I think maybe there's room to cut them a break. It's not the sort of review I'd want to read, but it probably achieves what ois intended: giving an NA reader a bumch of reasons to fly this way rather than the other way around.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do have to say, I've not seen anything in Europe quite like the queue for "Fresh Tracks" tickets that you get in Whistler on a powder day. Basically if you're not in line by half sixish in the morning, you won't get a place on the lift. If it was offered in Europe do we think that people would take it up?

Also I've not heard of anything in Europe like the signs in shop windows in NA saying "shop closed - powder day, will be back in the afternoon".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like all generalisations there may be an element of truth in it. I haven't been to many resorts in NA but in Europe I would certainly say that the amount the powder gets tracked out varies quite a lot from resort to resort (And how far you are prepared to climb). I remember snowball posting last year about how great the Dolomites were for untracked snow becaues virtually everyone sticks to the piste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, I have ridden the 7.00 benne with the lifties and pisteurs... I bet the early ticket would sell in Argentiere too!
ski holidays
Never skied off-piste, what is 'powder'? Is it fun? Here in Cham' we just ski from resturant to resturant on the miles and miles of endlessly well prepared piste. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Never skied off-piste, what is 'powder'? Is it fun? Here in Cham' we just ski from resturant to resturant on the miles and miles of endlessly well prepared piste. Twisted Evil

When the snow on the piste has passed it's 'sell by date' they chuck it to the side of the piste hence the name "off-piste". Better to stay on-piste where the snow is fresher and not ski on out-of-date goods.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
I do have to say, I've not seen anything in Europe quite like the queue for "Fresh Tracks" tickets that you get in Whistler on a powder day. Basically if you're not in line by half sixish in the morning, you won't get a place on the lift. If it was offered in Europe do we think that people would take it up?

Also I've not heard of anything in Europe like the signs in shop windows in NA saying "shop closed - powder day, will be back in the afternoon".

You been to Cham', Kramer? Twisted Evil
snow report
Article isn't that bad for a mainstream American audience. But mainstream American skiers could equally be out of their depth off piste in Europe as they may ski off piste inbounds but don't necessarily have Avy kit and judgement skills because that is for "backcountry" skiers.

And isn't it true that the majority of Euros prefer pistes? I've been asked by acquaintances a number of times "is X a good resort?"

I say fantastic and they then say "but it doesn't look like there are many pistes, won't we get bored?"
snow report
I say fine, whatever you want to do. The US and the alpes have many pluses and minuses, ski where you want to ski.

I prefer the wilderness of the alpes, in fact the solitude of anywhere. If the States has it in bundles I'll have to get myself there but I'm more than happy with what I've discovered so far. I have more 'new' places to check out than I know what to do with..!!
snow conditions
Plake wrote:
The article is idiotic - they're not comparing like with like. The reason most European holiday skiers don't "ski the powder" is because they're (understandably) scared of being avalanched, so stick to the piste. In the US everything in-bound is avalanche-safe so any intermediate can have a go, hence the relative numbers out there. Which also means in the US the whole mountain becomes a mogul field if it hasn't snowed for 3 days, whereas in Europe you'll always find soft snow if you look hard enough.

Having skied at enough resorts on both sides of the pond to reasonably comment, I would say that Plake has summed it up well.

I'd qualify his final sentence "...in Europe you'll always find soft snow if you look hard enough - and if you're well trained in evaluating the level of avalanche danger and are carrying avalanche safety equipment."

I would add that the additional expense of a guide (if you wish to venture off-piste safely in Europe) may also be a deterrent factor.
snow report
Kramer wrote:

Jutta closed the shop on Tuesday morning to go ski-ing! As she said - there would be no clients anyway as they'd all be up the mountain. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
easiski, You're right about the skiers 'on the continent' , but British skiers do make up a significant proportion of the holidaymakers, as do the Dutch these days. The Dutch pub in LDA is mental.
latest report
flicksta, Yes - but here for instance the French are 52% of our visitors. I should think most resorts are similar with home nations - excluding Meribel of course! Laughing
snow report
Suppose when you can only ski small vertical drops back home it's better to say "we are fitter because we ski powder and they don't" Razz

Skied with an American group in a proper off-piste resort (St Anton). What was a relatively easy day for me had some of 'em cutting the day short.

easiski - Police are investigating a ski theft in Meribel at the moment. Two locals and a French man are currently being interviewed. wink
snow report
DB, "Two locals and a French man " I rest my case!!
snow report
DB, a case of mistaken identity. The Frenchman was released from custody when it was discovered that he could prove he was abroad in Paris at the time of the alleged theft. He commented: "I did try to enter Meribel once, never again. My ID papers were invalid according to the border authorities. The French Embassy had not only misspelled Meribel with an é but they couldn't spell Courcheval, and my visa was rejected. I might still have got in but I failed the English oral and then stupidly confessed to only drinking lager half a pint at a time. For this crime I was charged and sentenced to four months hard labour cleaning chalets, but the Maquis managed to smuggle me out after six weeks. ..."
snow report
PG wrote:
failed the English oral

with authentic pronunciation "Mirabelle"?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
DB, a case of mistaken identity. The Frenchman was released from custody when it was discovered that he could prove he was abroad in Paris at the time

Yes that's right he was picked up on one of the TV cameras while having a great time/riot in Paris. Fantastic nightlife in Paris at the moment, it's smoking.

The Metropolitan Police of Meribelshire knew one was a Frenchman because as they fled from the scene of the crime one of the culprits had onions on his pushbike handlebars.
snow report
Quote:

Suppose when you can only ski small vertical drops back home it's better to say "we are fitter because we ski powder and they don't"

Really? I didn't think 1 vertical mile of drop is small in Whistler/Blackcomb......................
snow report
DB, and a striped tee shirt of course...

The dogs were able to follow the garlic odour as far as the border, but lost him the moment he crossed into France...
snow conditions
veeeight, no that's pretty good, but it seems to be an exception, rather than the rule, where I ski there are several runs of similar vertical and one in excess of 2.2km of vertical
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, point taken, I've not actually skied in Chamonix. Neither have I actually seen the notes in shop windows in NA, it's all hearsay.

I have been in the queue for the lift at Whistler at half six in the morning though. If it was offered in Europe I would do it here as well. Usually the problem is getting the chalet staff to get up early enough to cook breakfast for the normal first lift at half past eight.
ski holidays
Kramer,

One of my best friends has lived in Whistler for the last five years and I've done Fresh Tracks with him many times. As you say, on a powder day you have to be early or it's toast, but I think the key difference is the number of skibums, there are many more than I've come across in Europe. Maybe not so in Chamonix, but if a place like La Grave was in the US, a lot more people would bum it there.
snow report
PG,

That's him.

I see they have amended the oral test to make it easier for the French.

Meribelshire Oral Test.
=================

Below is an extract from a highly cultural song often sung by Meribel locals around the traditional log fire down the pub.

1. Please fill in the blanks while drinking 12 pints of lager
2. To complete the oral test and demonstrate your speaking abilities please sing the song. (if anyone trys to interrupt your singing just pick a fight with them)

Football's coming home
It's coming _ _ _ _
It's coming _ _ _ _
It's coming, Football's coming home
_ _ _ _ Lions on a shirt
Jules Rimet still gleaming
Thirty years of _ _ _ _
Never stopped _ _ dreaming
ski holidays
flicksta, for me one of the funniest things about the fresh tracks ticket was that breakfast was included, so you got to see all these ski bums have a massive existential dillemma over a free meal vs fresh tracks.
snow report
Kramer, all the ones I used to go up with took doggy bags and loaded up for a couple of days of hash browns and bacon
snow report
I've only been to Vail in USA - skiing was so anodyne it definitely was NOT worth the 8+ hour flight, queue for immigration, dodgy food served in barns etc. Much better to go to St Anton or Kitzbuehel and get good, challenging powder runs, friendly people and the coolest restaurants.
snow report
must admit when I was in Whistler although we did the fresh tracks thing we were still finding powder stashes a couple of days after a fall. It was Early Jan so I guess the resort was fairly quiet
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
flicksta, for me one of the funniest things about the fresh tracks ticket was that breakfast was included, so you got to see all these ski bums have a massive existential dillemma over a free meal vs fresh tracks.

The trick is to gorge yourself with the cooked breakfast pronto - then be amongst the first to head out.

My record is 7 or 8 runs or Emerald/Red Chair before 0855

Then back into the Roundhouse catching the tail end of the breakfast for bagels and coffee Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy