Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking to go on a midweek ski hol last week of march...HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

New to this forum, so be nice Smile

I have never been on a ski/snowboard hol before and am looking to go on a cheapish midweek break in the last week of march. Being a complete novice I don't really know where to go and what prices seem reasonable. I've been on all sorts of websites offering last minute midweek deals to Morzine etc but are these any good?!
If someone could enlighten me and give any advice it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, as it's your first ski holiday, definitely get a package deal. It would help if you could give an idea of a rough budget, your expectations, etc. Do you want somewhere with lots of nightlife/quiet/family/pretty/convenient?

Note that it is often just as cheap to go for a full week rather than a mid-week break.

Most costs you'll find online will be accommodation, transport and some degree of food. You will need to add on a lift pass, ski hire and lessons to this, plus spending money on food/drink.

Cheap options for midweek breaks would be mountainsunltd or skiweekends.com, igluski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and you'll need winter sports insurance...

Mountainsun is recommended on here
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the reply guys.

I've rang up skiweekends and looks like morzine is a good deal. Generally everything for under£700 is what I'm after. For that I want flights, accom, food, transfers, ski pass, equipment hire etc. One question though, is it worth getting the ski pass and gear when I get there? Or purchase that all now through skiweekends? What's the cheaper option?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chaniobi, one problem you will find, if you have never skied before, is that group lessons (the cheapest way to do it) generally start on Sunday for 5 days. Private lessons will cost you a lot of money. If you've never done it before, you really do need to have lessons - you'll have a lot more fun.

One of the very cheapest way of learning to ski is with UCPA holidays, sold in the UK by Action Outdoors. Hostel style accommodation - very good reports here about them. Some centres, some weeks, do full time instruction and everything, including full board, is included in the price.

http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart This is week beginning 30 March, full week, coach travel from London, £766. Have a look at the action outdoors website and if you ring them they are quite helpful.

There's a £10 off discount code somewhere if you do a search on Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try http://jollygood.com/Morzine/W_Home.html

Prices quoted are £390 for a week, catered chalet. However, they do a variety of options re numbers of nights etc, good option if don't mind sharing a room too (one way to find an instant ski buddy....). Best contact them direct and see what they can offer. Were very accommodating when I stayed there in Feb as a group of 18. They have just dropped their prices too. Good food. Will give you a lift to the slopes every day.

I would only get a local area pass if you are a beginner, buy it in resort when you arrive. I guess you want / need lessons so you may only get as far as the nursery slopes for the first day or so (the nursery slopes often don't need a lift pass - best check when you get there). Equipment hire, you can often get discounts by reserving online before you go - try Skimium. Collect and pay on arrival.

Morzine is handy for flights from Geneva with a 90min transfer time. I really enjoyed Morzine as a resort, lively après Ski if you want it, the snow was plentiful but not sure how good it will be lower down on some slopes at the end of March. Must admit I don't know where the beginner slopes are - if higher up, snow might be ok. Best check on the Morzine thread.

I should think £700 is plenty for a midweek break, especially last minute.

Ps. I second Pam's suggestion of UCPA. A great way to do it at very reasonable prices.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 13-03-13 20:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chaniobi, for god's sake get your ass to a snowdome on a 'learn to ski in a day' course NOW. Spending £700 to cover the absolute basics in a decent resort on a short break is a ridiculous waste of the facilities. If you can go there and join an intermediate lesson group because you've already learnt to snowplough in the UK you will get a far better experience of what a ski holiday should be.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate, haha I knew someone would say this. I went on a 'learn to snowboard in a day' course at the snowdome 18months ago. By the end of the day I could get down the slope fairly comfortably. Now, how this relates to the 'real thing' I don't know. Which is why I said I am a complete beginner.
Pam w and damobloke1, I'll have a look through those sites and will certainly look at Skimium re: gear.
Thanks for your help guys! I'll be sure to update you on where I end up going
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chaniobi, Welcome to snowHead 's
Have a short break available Sun 24th to Thurs 28th. Two rooms if you can find a buddy or two.
Nina can do you a good deal on those dates. Arrive early, depart late, and get 5 days on the snow.
Can organise transfers no problem if flight is to Geneva.
website below.
Paul.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy