Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Graphite Stain in White Base

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there are several posts throughout the forum on this sort of subject but nothing seemed to be quite the same issue as me from what I could find, so for the first time I thought I'd start a post.

I own 2011 Neversummer SL, mine in particular has the white base, I'm due to go away with a bunch of my mates in a few weeks, one of them offering a favour said he'd give my board a wax at the same time as he did his ski's, he's been skiing for over a decade and has his own set up in his garage so I thought I was in safe hands, he rang me up a few nights ago to go pick my board up, I did, he looked a bit sheepish as soon as I turned up, he had waxed my base in his graphite ski wax, it now looks like it has been jabbed a million times with a pencil, there are black graphite dots and streaks in the base all over, Shocked He was apologetic and to be fair he was doing it as a favour so I couldn't really hold it against him.

I took it home last night gave it a couple of hot scrapes with some uncoloured all season wax to try and draw out some of the graphite, it did pull / draw out some of the graphite but on the whole it still looks a bit naff, Confused I know some people would tell me to leave it, "no-one looks at the base" "doesn't matter what it looks like its how it rides" and I can see where they're coming from, but I like keeping my stuff looking relativity neat. I'm a bit OCD like that and was always pretty proud of the fact that my board looked nearly new after two years and about 6 weeks of riding.

I'm kinda hoping that when I get off in a few weeks after a several days boarding the graphite will get pulled / drawn out with general use and a couple more wax jobs, but just thought I'd ask if anyone else had had this happen with graphite wax in particular.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should probably take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wax/ scrape, brass brush, if that doesn't work just keep sliding till It's gone.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will take at least 20 days riding to get rid of all traces of the graphite in my experience.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it hasn't done any damage then don't worry about it, you just got a free wax Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah brass brush would be my first thought, extreme solution would be a base grind, I'd never do that though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowrider wrote:
It will take at least 20 days riding to get rid of all traces of the graphite in my experience.

Sounds like a good excuse for riding it loads. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice guys, we all go out to Les Deux three weeks tomorrow Little Angel so i'll clock up as many miles as I can and see how it goes... I'll really must invest in a decent brass brush also as I've only got this poxy cheap thing that was thrown in with my iron. Confused so that might help... oh well, live and learn rolling eyes

If I remember I'll post with regards to my base when I get back just in case it helps anyone out in furture
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tristan3520, graphite additive in wax does discolour anything it touches but it will come out in time. The p-tex bases on Never Summer boards, like the majority of ski/board bases these days are manufacturered with a graphite content so they don't actually need a graphite wax. And your board's not going to glide well if you've hot scraped clean it a few times & not rewaxed it before you go.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice spyderjon, I have re-waxed my board after the hot scrapes so hopefully all should be ok, I will admit I didn't realise never-summer base, and that of other snowboard brands for that matter, actually already contain a graphite content, I always thought it was only ski's with the plain black bottoms that contained graphite in their structure, you learn something new every day
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy