Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World Cup Finals - Lenzerheide

Poster: A snowHead
Final Men's and Women's DH today but the mountain is all clagged in. If it doesn't lift and the races don't happen then, Ms Vonn will win the DH crystal globe by one point despite having missed half the season and Svindal will pick up the men's title.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From that what I have heard, it's sunny down in finish area already Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New start time for Mens downhill 11 am (10 am UK). Svindal keen to go, amongst others, for points to compete for the overall title.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New start time is 11.30 CET. This does not look good with all of the delays.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Next decision time 11.30 CET, potential start time 12.00. May get the Men's DH done, but Women's increasingly unlikely unless they bump some of the men out of the comp.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like the women's race is going ahead as planned with the men's race following straight after. I've got the Live ticker running in the background and that currently says that the Women's race will start at 11.30, followed by the men at 12.00

With only a maximum of 25 racers per race, there should be no trouble getting either race completed as they must have separate logistic teams (slope patrollers/helpers, start marshalls etc). The finish areas are the same even if the courses are slightly different. Having looked at the start list, there are only 22 women land 24 men listed, so all being well about an hour for both races.

Maze only needs 2 points to take the title, and to be honest she deserves it for the consistency she has shown over the whole season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say status of women race on FIS live is not updated. And I have bad feeling that Maze won't have chance to take this globe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just announced that the next attempt for the men will be 12.30 and the women at 14.00

primoz, yep, that is my feeling as well as it is still showing the start time as 11.30 but no scores on the scoreboard! Maybe they got lost in the mist? Laughing

I hope they are able to run the races as I would hate to see Maze "robbed" like Vonn was! wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only good thing in all this is, that I'm not in Lenzerheide Very Happy My alpine ski season was over last weekend in Ofterschwang, and it's much easier to see these delays from office waiting for photos to start dropping in, then standing in fog up on hill and freezing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
With 7 days and only a few handfuls of racers, it's crazy they can't move the program around a bit. Dump the team event for example. They really should try to end the season with some action and a fair result.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not 7 days but 5, and program is really full. There's no single day off, so there's very little that can be done.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
primoz, ok, including training days it's 7. Get rid of the team event. What's more important?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is looking more and more like the races will be cancelled. :=( Crying or Very sad I'm sure the way it's going, we are going to have to endure Vonn's victory speech about athlete safety. The times that Vonn has won small globes because of race cancellations, that was her standard line. But when she lost the overall globe by a small margin due to race cancellations, it was "unfair" and "a catastrophe." Her words.

At least Tina is not whining about the delays and likely cancellation being unfair or catastrophic. Like Samerburg Sue above, I would like to see the races run so that Tina is not "robbed" like Vonn was two years ago. I wish that there was a way to make up cancelled races in the finals, but the FIS rules state that both Soelden and the finals cannot be made up.

It is strange that the women's ticker has not been updated and still shows the race starting at 11.30 CET.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I'm not sure... but team event has huge tv ratings... probably much better ones then women dh race. Everyone on tour think it's stupid (ok at least majority of us if not everyone... from skiers, coaches, serviceguys to media), but as long as tv ratings are good, thing is interesting. First training was a bit so so, but by the rules you need at least one training or you can't have dh race. So there's really not much to do.
I'm really hoping there will be race, and Tina will get her chance, but then again, it's hard to talk about her being robbed. She had her chance until now already (just as Lindsey had 2 or 3 years ago). In skiing races get canceled due bad weather conditions so such things are normal. In such case as it's at the moment this hurts, but it's same thing as every other race which can get canceled.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
primoz, I was quoting Ms. Vonn's terminology! Laughing

As my lunchbreak is now finished, I can't even keep the blank tickers open Crying or Very sad

My gut feeling (plus a peek at the web cams) says the races are cancelled and the titles will go to the leaders as they currently stand. I expect Vonn will be delighted once she comes ashore from her romantic cruise/rehab on Tiger's luxury cruiser! One could almost say she will be orgasmitc with pleasure, but the paps and the gossip titles would obviously misconstrue that Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Men race canceled, last possible start for women 15:00... for now Smile To be honest, if in Schladming, when it got dark around 17:00, and when there was 60 racers on start list, last possible SG start was 14:45, I think today last possible start could easily be 16:30 or even later. 22 skiers, short DH, no TV breaks, shortened start interval and you have race through in good 30mins. And it get's dark at 18:00 or even later.
Samerberg Sue, I know what you meant with "robbed" nothing to worry Very Happy
snow report
Helvete! Aksel needed the points to stand a chance of pipping Hirscher to the post for the big globe. 200 pts from DH and SG plus something from the GS might have been enough, but they just handed Hirscher that one on a plate. If Lenzerheide was in Austria I'd call it a conspiracy... in fact... it's a conspiracy I tells ya.

Kjetil André Aamodt was recently quoted as saying that 5-10m visibility is enough for the racers - it just makes for crap TV.
ski holidays
5-10m is bad even for SL... and even for racers. For downhill there's simple rule... 2 gates at least. But even if it would be ok for racers, people should slowly get this, that racers are not done for racers. It's for tv, and without tv there's no money, which means they would be paying for ski tickets if they would want to ski, not talking about millions they get Wink
snow report
Primoz, it sounds like TV ratings are a priority of the FIS. wink As a ski racing fan, I would personally prefer to watch a full curling competition than the finals team event.

It would be nice if the finals were extended to have an extra day to make up any cancelled races. Another suggestion would be to rearrange the schedule at the last minute so that, if need be, slower races like the slalom could be held on foggier days. I'm sure that all of the important people at the FIS know the weather forecast for the week and they would be able to rearrange the race schedule accordingly. Even if I had paid to watch a downhill race, I would happily watch a slalom instead.
latest report
dudleyf, +1

It's called a damp squib.
snow conditions
dudleyf, it's hard... really hard. You have to count that people are still training, and noone of SL only guys/girls are not anywhere near Lenzerheide yet. Then, normally you don't have 2-3 different courses and few 1000 workers which would keep all course in race ready shape all days. And last, and most important, TV things. There are schedules made long before races. And these schedules are optimized to provide best possible ratings (yeah if we like it or not, it's about money).
Yes it's sad, when you are 1 point back and last race is canceled, but thing is, we should all look at this race as at any other race through season. And these races do get canceled, and noone makes any big deal out of this.
snow report
It's official. Both the men's and women's downhill races have been cancelled.
snow report
Big shame for Tina Maze, she only needed one point to take the Downhill trophy from Vonn. Maze also misses out on being the first skier to take all trophies/globes along with the overall titel along with extending her 2000+ points for the season.
latest report
VONN PLEA - 2011

Vonn said Friday the FIS should review their guidelines and allow races in the final week of the season to be rescheduled in the event of bad weather.

VONN PLEA - 2013

snow report
dulcamara, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing She is beside herself with pleasure maybe? Helping Tiger with his strokes perhaps? wink

C'est la vie in outdoor sports folks! Tina will most likely not call it a conspiracy to deny her a record though Everyone who has followed the racing this season knows that her record is unbeatable. She was the most consistent racer in all the individual disciplines all season. No-one can ever beat that.

Next season different focus for all the racers being an Olympic year.
latest report
...in business news, a controlling interest in the Swiss fog machine company AcmeNebelCo was sold yesterday to an undisclosed US holding company based in Vail, Colorado. A spokesman for the company said "Ze outlook is gloomy mit a chance of DOOM! MWUHAhaahaa!"
snow conditions
Her plea today:
"Omg I won the World Cup Downhill title!!!!! 6 in a row with a bum knee! Everything in life comes back around. #believe #karma #onelegvictorydance #sochi2014"

There's just "slight" difference... noone can say for sure in 2011, she would win that race and beat Maria... especially since it was GS race, and in GS standing, Maria was 8th while Lindsey 12th, so it was far from sure thing, even if race would be.
Of course noone can say for sure Tina would finish in top 15 today, but I would still say realistically it was pretty much sure thing.
ski holidays
Her plea today:
"Omg I won the World Cup Downhill title!!!!! 6 in a row with a bum knee! Everything in life comes back around. #believe #karma #onelegvictorydance #sochi2014"

Lindsey Vonn 2011, when she lost the overall globe by 3 points: "I'm proud of defending the downhill, super G and super combined titles and I was ready to fight for what could have been a record fourth overall. Win or lose I just wanted the chance, I feel devastated. A system that allows a decision like this to be made off the snow needs to be looked at. The cancellation of this race doesn't just hurt me, it hurts the fans and the sport of ski racing as a whole. I want to be involved in helping our sport improve."

In her tweet from today, does Lindsey express any sympathy for Tina because she was in the same situation two years ago? The answer is no. She seemed to be in favor of the cancelled race today because she benefitted from it. When the call didn't go her way, then she whined about wanting to change the system.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christ lads what is with the constant Vonn knocking! She made a statment about Karma today bit woop! Yes she wanted the system changed but it has not and this time it worked in her favour.

I really dismay at the people quing up to Kick her over and over.
ski holidays
+ 1

Well said.
snow report
Fattes13, just look at her record of whinging when things did not go her way. She is not popular on the circuit because of the apparent arrogance she shows. Whether that is her or her sponsors who knows, but even her own team mates do not seem to want to freely mix with her which says a lot in itself.

She won by a whisker - if she had not won at Lake Louise we would have had the same bleating about dangerous racing conditions. However she won so everything was hunky dory!

Sorry but she is not a very sympathetic person and if she did not look so good (airbrushing is her friend by the way) in a bikini and the hooker's dresses she has been photographed in for men's magazines, perhaps her fan base would not be so broad either.

There is no doubt or question that she was an extremely talented racer, but the constant referrals to her as being the "best of all-time" are untrue and exaggerated. She has always been a hit or miss slalom skier for example. Sadly she has begun to believe the hype and expects to win every time. When it does not happen it is always someone else's fault. She is not going to win everything any more as there are many talented, younger, and faster up and coming skiers out there. She is getting towards the end of her career and compared to some of the acknowledged greats, she has not done as well either over the length of her career or in what she has won in anyone particular season.
snow report
Fattes13, I agree. I really do not see the issue with her. Is she supposed to express everything in a tweet. Hit-and-miss slalom skier - so was Hermann Maier, why expect her to be otherwise.
Admitted, Tina Maze seems to have able to do it all this year, but few and far between.
latest report
Samerberg Sue text like this again, and she will go and sue you too.... and whole Austria and England. And both, Austria and UK are easier to find then Slovenia Very Happy
http://bostonblickbild.blogspot.com/2013/03/fis-talks-break-down-war-looms-with.html
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, I have meet her a few times at different events and found her pleasant and focused no different to most top athletes.

If she was as unpopular as people think or like to maker her out to be sponsors would be few and far between. I can garuntee you every athlete has had their moment of furstration and whinging and in some cases I agree with them some cases I dont.

Athletes should be judged on perfomances and how they interact with those that pay their bills the fans. Nothing more.
latest report
Today's Mens SG abandoned, Ladies cancelled. Lots of major moaning, Felix Neureuther walked off citing the dangerous conditions. A shambles basically.
snow report
Primoz, that was too funny! Is this a trick question? I also never knew that Moscow was the capital of Slovenia. Laughing

Today's race was crazy! Gauthier de Tessieres was basically a human crash test dummy. Klaus Kroell's crash looked awful! He has an injury to his upper arm and shoulder. I was glad that the men's race was aborted and the women's cancelled. Hopefully the weather and conditions will be better over the weekend for the technical races. It seems like the finals have been cursed so far.
snow report
Bode Swiller, Fair play to Felix, he stood up for himself and made a point and probably got back to the chalet to gobble all the cake first with no loss as the race was cancelled. NehNeh
latest report
dudleyf, neither did I, but you learn something new every day Very Happy
Otherwise it's pretty sad someone needs to break his hand before race gets canceled. They pushed this way few times this year, and if nothing else, it's pretty annoying... even for me to wait up on hill for hours. To be honest, I'm not really sure for who it's worse, media and coaches or racers. We are not allow to move on hill once in position, while racers can at least go to restaurant, of course if delays are not just for 15mins as they were in Schladming. But nevertheless it's not nice. As I wrote before already, only good thing is, that this time and once for change, I'm watching all this from warm office and I'm not waiting on hill. So it's not all that bad Very Happy
But then again, there was voting before the race and coaches decided 6 to 4 for race to go. During first break, racers were asked and they were for race to continue.
And one more thing which was really bad... it took them 20mins to get mountain rescue down to Kroll. I believe it might be too windy for helicopter, but guys with aki (no idea what's real english word for that "sledge") should be down there MUCH faster!
ski holidays
I saw this morning that Svindal formally conceded the overall title to Hirscher. Marcel is up by 149 points and Svindal said that he will not compete in the slalom.

That was bad how long it took to evacuate Klaus Kroell. The good thing was that he didn't have a head injury, where time is critical.

Today is the (joke) team event. I won't be watching it because I have better things to do. I still can't believe that the team event gets high TV ratings. But when the choices on TV are the team event, snooker, biathlon, or curling then the team event actually looks good.
ski holidays
Anyone I have been talking to, doesn't like team event, but tv ratings are high, extremely high. So based on that, and basically tv ratings are all what matters, it's not joke event. Yet I still don't like it Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy