Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could rocker skis be dangerous? [in certain situations]

Poster: A snowHead
The distinguished American ski journalist John Fry raises this question on a new Facebook site dedicated to ski history ...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skiing-History/372147616134906?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

Quote:
With a bottom camber and sidecut designed for deep snow and off-piste skiing, Rocker skis do not turn as precisely as carving skis on groomed terrain. They tend to skid. Someone – especially a skier of imperfect technique accomplishment – moving on rocker skis at high speed on a smooth, or notably a hard surface, may be less able to avoid colliding with a tree, rock, or other skiers and riders.

That site, as you'll see, has been set up by Seth Masia - one of the world's great authorities on the history of ski equipment, and a leading light in ...

The International Skiing History Association
http://www.skiinghistory.org
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes skiing on powder oriented skis can be dodgy in very steep, icy conditions where it's easy to loose an edge. The worry above is pretty baseless not least because rocker isn't what the guy posting above thinks it is and he lacks any sort of statistical support to show that powder oriented skis are a larger cause of accidents than normal skis proportionally.

It strikes me as a similar concern that the previous generation have about anything the next generation end up doing ala comic books, TV, violent movies and video games.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I could see these being a struggle on ice...
Tuesday's Dead Episode 4 "Powder Week" from Scott Titterington
https://vimeo.com/60635702
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spinful!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a fair point however I'm not aware of any ski that wouldn't be dangerous when skied too fast by someone of imperfect technique. Moral of the story, don't ski like a person wearing a funny hat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MeMyselfandI wrote:
Moral of the story, don't ski like a person wearing a funny hat.

I think it is really unfair to have a pop at Comedy Goldsmith like that, just because he has never skied on a rocker ski (or, indeed, at all since the days of the leather boot). Happily I have managed to find a photo of Comedy Goldsmith in his prime.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And here is Comedy Goldsmith a few years later, by which time (as you can see) he was leading a slightly more dissolute lifestyle, and struggling to stay at the cutting edge (no pun intended) of technology ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Care to predict the demise of the rocker ski yet MysticGoldsmith?
If you get it on record now, and start a thread in 6 years based of sketchy numbers from an article trawled from Google which seem to prove your position, then you can proudly say you were right all along... AGAIN!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DT68, Isn't that Reg Varney dressed as a milkman?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Picking your nose could be hazardous under certain circumstances. We all spend too much time obsessing about what might be 'dangerous' if you ask me. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
DT68, Isn't that Reg Varney dressed as a milkman?
I'm sure it is Comedy Goldsmith wearing a funny hat. I do not believe there is any more recent photo of him on skis.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DT68, are you suggesting CG is actually Reg Varney? That could explain quite alot... Tread carefully though, he's very touchy about personal privacy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Buses should not be used for racing up and down alpine roads with tight hairpin bends. Sherlock Holmes commented:
Quote:
With a high centre of gravity, large mass, soft suspension and high profile tyres, buses do not turn as precisely as sports cars. They tend to skid. Someone – especially a driver of imperfect technique (sic) accomplishment driving at high speed on alpine roads may be less able to avoid colliding with a tree, rock or other road user. They may even fall off a cliff.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith, Funny I posted somewhere on here that after regular discussion with piste patrol in BC and Alberta last year they think there has been a marked increase in on piste collisions mostly from Inexperienced skiers using Rockered skis!!!

So the original article may not be too far off. I had an incident myself on a pair when returning to base in a resort I found myself thinking that it would be difficult if near impossible to turn these on this surface and hoping I did not meet traffic on the way.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Could rocker skis be dangerous?

About as dangerous as driving a car with summe-specific tyres on an icy road in the winter!

If someone is so daft to use a tool specifically targeted for the WRONG condition, they should be allowed to learn their lesson the hard way.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 13-03-13 17:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm not sure about being any more dangerous on piste but they are no fun and hard work.

I do wonder about relativly new skiers going with rocker. It's not going to help them in the long run.
snow report
OK, I have to ask:

Rocker skis - I'm assuming the reference is not to the "All Mountain" type rocker skis that seem to be marketed as a 60:40 piste/off-piste plank i.e. the Salomon Enduro range (that seem to me to be more a hybrid).
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:
OK,....................the Salomon Enduro range (that seem to me to be more a hybrid).

Despite being extremely well marketed as a 60/40 they ski like sh*t on hard pistes.

The power of persuassion, Salomon's targetting of the underskilled hopefuls!
ski holidays
Soft short skis with a lot of sidecut could also be dangerous where they could be more unstable at higher speeds or running straight on the flat or cause an unskilled skier to hook an edge because of the deep sidecut rolling eyes

Someone seems to find just about everything dangerous with skiing
snow conditions
narc, agreed. Alpine bus racing is probably much safer.
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
OK,....................the Salomon Enduro range (that seem to me to be more a hybrid).

Despite being extremely well marketed as a 60/40 they ski like sh*t on hard pistes.

The power of persuassion, Salomon's targetting of the underskilled hopefuls!

Really? Got offered ex demo pair with bindings for €320, was going to try them this weekend, XT800 powerline, have you any experience with them skimastaaah?
ski holidays
I think race skis with those really sharp edges are dangerous. You might cut yourself when you pick them up. Or something.
snow report
8611, Yup, tested a pair end of last season for a day. Not impressed, far too wishy washy at the front to be a decent piste ski. They lose edge grip apart from just about underfoot. IMHO skis that ski like half cooked spaghetti!

clarky999, I shave with my Dobermann SL's!
snow conditions
cheers
latest report
About as dangerous as driving a car with summe-specific tyres on an icy road in the winter!

If someone is so daft to use a tool specifically targeted for the WRONG condition, they should be allowed to learn their lesson the hard way.

I don't even know if this is a joke?
ski holidays
kesone1 wrote:

I don't even know if this is a joke?

I don't see that as a joke - Kesone1 is right - You are expected to drive within the limits of your car for the conditions at the time, and skis are the same, ski within the limits of your equipment (and yourself) for the conditions of the slope.
latest report
I think this is about flat or none trad camber, very different, rocker won't contribute to such ballix. Flat skis need to be worked, permanently, passive technique or letting the skis run on flat hardback is skitty at best, dangerous, life threatening? Possibly, depends on the user.
ski holidays
Quote:

OK, I have to ask:

Rocker skis - I'm assuming the reference is not to the "All Mountain" type rocker skis that

Nope probably more to do with the likes of the Freeride skis like the Rossi S7, Salomon Rocker2 122, Line Francis Bacon etc.

The Enduro has a tiny rocker where as the big mountain stuff has about 30% of the ski rockered.

Changed to keep pedantic Pats Happy rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 14-03-13 14:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fattes13 wrote:
Quote:

OK, I have to ask:

Rocker skis - I'm assuming the reference is not to the "All Mountain" type rocker skis that

Nope probably more to do with the likes of the Big mountain skis like the Rossi S7, Salomon Rocker2 122, Line Francis Bacon etc.

The Enduro has a tiny rocker where as the big mountain stuff has about 30% of the ski rockered.

Stupid semantics maybe, but 'Big Mountain' skis are stiff, burly, usually with a lot of metal, designed to charge big lines. None of those fit (unless you meant Squad/Super 7).
snow conditions
clarky999, the Squad's no beast, no metal, and a super easy ski.
ski holidays
CH2O, oops. I thought Squad was the name Rossi gave their pro-level/comp skis?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy