Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British skiers should boycott the French slopes while this madness over 'ski hosts' continues...Neil

Poster: A snowHead
Neil English gives the pot a stir in The Daily Mail
His opener
Quote:
We've recently given the French a bloody nose in the Six Nations rugby – now it seems we might also have to teach them a lesson on their own ski slopes.
The decision last month by a French court in Albertville to ban British ski hosts from conducting tours of the pistes to help familiarise their tour operator clients with complex ski areas, has outraged much of the British ski industry.
http://travelblog.dailymail.co.uk/2013/03/british-skiers-should-boycott-the-french-slopes-while-this-madness-over-ski-hosts-continues.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like the French would give a toss
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More English than French here in the 3V this week it seems. I don't think they would want to lose our custom.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most British skiers couldn't give a toss either...
For the last 50 years they have visited France because it is easy to reach and has some of the best skiing in Europe.
They actually don't give too hoots about any trivial politics the 'uk ski industry' (which is an oxymoron) tries to stir up.
Boycott ma a$$.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think if people look at this whole silly saga for what it is;

A large % of first time skiers and those that ski chalet based holidays enjoy this service and it may to some extent influence if they will ski in France or not. If it does Chalet’s are limited in Austria and Swiss is expensive right now so they will probably end up in France.

More advanced skiers, or those that all ready holiday in their own larger groups, probably won’t notice or give a toss.

But the TO are not fighting this for fun, you will find the reason they are contesting it is that they believe it makes up a significant part of their business or it is important to their customers.

As for the ESF they need to wake up and deliver a better more varied product.

Sadly most of the journos writing about this could not differentiate between their rear end and their elbow, never mind a lift and a piste.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely boycotting the UK tour operators, who have been breaking the law, would be a more logical thing to do.

My favourite error was "and Grand Paradiso (La Plagne and Les Arcs)". The Grand Paradiso is actually in Italy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, The French have a new set of cash-cow-skiers ..................... the Russians.

It's time to reassess the "easily reached/best skiing in Europe". It costs. It's become questionable value for money. It's over-crowded. Let the French reap what they sow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
Surely boycotting the UK tour operators, who have been breaking the law, would be a more logical thing to do.

ESF-backed prosecutions have failed at the EU level before now, based on invalid national law. And if the law's an ass, that acts against your own interest, why wouldn't you back the alleged transgressor?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fattes13 wrote:

A large % of first time skiers and those that ski chalet based holidays enjoy this service and it may to some extent influence if they will ski in France or not. If it does Chalet’s are limited in Austria and Swiss is expensive right now so they will probably end up in France.

I've only used the ski hosting service once but the host was very clear that only those who 'were able to competently ski all red runs' were allowed to sign up for it and if it turned out they couldn't they'd be asked to leave the group . I don't know if that's usually a prerequisite but if it is prevailing snowheads wisdom would seem to suggest that excludes first time skiers and indeed anyone who hasn't had at least a decade's worth of lessons Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fattes13, Most TO's offer the service in most resorts IME.

Nothing to do with "chalet based" or otherwise, and never suitable for first time skiers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haven't we got 20 million pages of this on another thread. Didn't that just conclude:

- Most don't give a toss.
- Some that do are nobby no mates with the need to buy a friend and without the nous to read a piste map
- The TOs are indeed breaking the French law as interpreted by a French court and appear to have been encouraging staff to do the same.
- The TOs were also found guilty of paying their staff below the French minimum wage.
- The TOs might not be acting for altruistic reasons
- Many on here like ESF and the service they give
- The most rabidly anti-french/esf posters on here were suggested by many to just ski somewhere else
- Some suggested that they could try skiing in Scotland where they love the English, particularly of the pompous and outraged variety.

p.s. A boycott would be a good self selecting idea. can't see it harming the French skiing industry if a handful of snowheads and Daily Mail Mr. Angrys went to the Dolomites instead.

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
emwmarine, no, we didn't.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So which of those statements is factually incorrect?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's more to do with absence of counterveiling remarks about arrogant tossers happy for interference with harmless private arrangements.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think you mean countervailing.
snow conditions
I've not been following this, but, if the tour operators are banned from doing this, does each resort offer exactly the same service run by their own staff? If not then I can't see how they can object to someone doing/offering something that they can't/won't offer themselves.
snow report
emwmarine wrote:

Pathetic.
ski holidays
I think it's a great idea.

Tell your mate and fellow Daily Mail readers not to go, especially during half term week please Cool wink
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I think it's a great idea.

Tell your mate and fellow Daily Mail readers not to go please Cool wink

Fixed it for you (and the rest of us). wink No reflection on the OP or contributors in this thread, but I still have nightmares about 'experts' armed with copies of the Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard marching into the shop and putting me in my place...
ski holidays
Corduroy wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

Pathetic.

Fully agree. If you use big words you should at least be able to spell them.
snow report
Quote:

I've not been following this, but, if the tour operators are banned from doing this, does each resort offer exactly the same service run by their own staff? If not then I can't see how they can object to someone doing/offering something that they can't/won't offer themselves.

Megamum, I think you ought to read the relevant thread - please don't let's have the whole 30 page discussion again here....
ski holidays
I so want to chirp in but just cannot get into a marathon thread on this topic again
latest report
Quote:

Fattes13, Most TO's offer the service in most resorts IME.

Nothing to do with "chalet based" or otherwise, and never suitable for first time skiers.

Apologies was trying to think of a nice way to say Punter Recreational skiers did not mean complete novice
latest report
Even if it were a good idea I really can't see it working or the French even noticing. On the basis that I can't stand the EU telling us how to run our country I'm not sure I'd be in a very strong position to argue that the French laws are illegal under EU law.

Personally, I've never quite understand why you would want ski hosting unless you are Norman No-mates. I'm clearly in a minority here and many people seem to love it, I've just never quite got it.
latest report
foxtrotzulu, I rememberr a Crystal holiday in Wengen where I had planned to ski each day with the DHO. Trouble was that the buzz with the Crystal punters was so good that I was torn about whom to ski with - and wound up skiing some of the time with The Crystal bods and their piste rep. It was very good fun indeed. However, if the French choose to say that they don't want such ski guides, that should be up to them, IMV. I don't understand why some folk are so steamed up about it.
snow conditions
achilles, Completely understand and agree with your PoV. Forgive my stupidity, but what is a DHO. Dolt-headed Otherhalf? Double-Headed Offspring? ...

Oops, just looked it up. Very salubrious!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy