Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone any tips on buying ex - rental skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I ski about 10 days a year max and given the arrival of 8611 Jnr (8612?) and likely arrival of 8613, 4 etc. etc. in due course that isn't likely to improve much.

So it prob makes sense to me to just buy a pair of old skis. I don't think I could justify buying a pair of new ones (and I'd obviously like to ski them first which might make be harder) though I am going to check out what new stock is available too.

Last year after renting them for four days I could have picked up a pair of mythic riders for around €200, which I'll more or less spend on rental in the two trips this year. Will prob aim for another all mountain ski this year and if I like it, offer to buy it, prob on the first day of rental. Then on those rare days when there's deep powder pick up a fatter pair, or very hard icy pistes maybe rent a slalom ski.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look for on the ski? Scratches, edges, flex etc, more in terms of how I can judge what condition the ski is in rather than what I want from the ski?

Also if anyone has any idea what I should be willing to pay for an ex rental ski, where I can find out independent of the shop what season its from (in terms of when that line was sold for the first time) and how anxious the shop might be to get rid of old stock vis a vis me getting a bargain from them?

Any tips apprecitated as always snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would look on the sale racks between now and September instead, especially some of the American outlet stores (Evo, levelnine) if the dollar is weak.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
8611, The French "Skieur" magazine has a pre season test edition which contains an "Argus" of 2nd hand prices (including "avoid" in some cases). It may even be online.

Graphics often change annually/biannually so a bit of googlong should let you identify years. More or less.

Key criteria is not cosmetic, but how much base and edges are left. E.g. I bought a pair of race skis for €35 which managed to get through one service before becoming unserviceable. Mind you, saved me money on the days I used them Happy

Bear in mind that I reckon you get around 120 snow days out of skis and boots. So a pair that has been used all season by someone who services regularly have probably little life left in them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good advice under a new name - so its basically like a wooden floor that you can only sand down a given number of times?

Roughly how will an idiot like me be able to tell how many more edgings they will take? If I'm thinking of buying an all mountain ski having them edged is going to be very important, I want a ski that, if a little more cumbersome on hard steep pistes or off piste crud, has an edge that will help me out

Thanks beequin, but I'm thinking I'll buy on this trip thereby saving around 100 euro of rental on this trip and the next one (coming up soon), but I suppose if I identify a rental ski I like I could then buy it online for next year
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you're looking to buy from america getboards VERY often has 50% off closeout stock, shipping on skis is only 70$ as well, but realistically rental skis are never cheap, buying skis brand new often is from what I've found.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
8611, UK sales have also started (or in some cases eg Ski Bartlett they always some clearance models). However, as you say you will then have to make an informed guess as to which ski to buy rather than having tested it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8611, it has to be worth keeping an eye out on SH's buy and sell as well - if you pick your seller, you can probably be assured of a truthful pedigree.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8611, part of the problem is that if the bases become thin enough from servicing, even small stones can pull edges out or take away what's left of the base.

Find a similar new pair and measure the thickness of new edges?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ex rental skis are usually thrashed and whilst you might pick up a pair nicely sharpened and waxed i would suspect that they will have been well flexed and might not have much metal left on the edges for further sharpening.

Far better to keep watching ebay and pick up pair from someone who has either tried it and given up or likes to buy new skis/boots every couple of year.

Picked up an excellent pair of skis and boots this year for £60. I reckon the skis have been used for about 6 weeks and the boots are completely unmarked.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wait 'til July and buy something from last season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or check out ex-demo. DOWN skis have a sale on atm, the Countdown 4 might suit at €319 new, or €350 ex-demo (less than 10 days skied) including bindings. Email Gregor, the owner, helpful guy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reading the above I think I might be engaged in a bit of false economy, prob what I should do is find a rental ski I like then try and buy a new or nearly new one.

My problem doing that in the past is that I could only find second hand versions of the only skis I was sure I wanted to buy - bandits ormythic riders, presumably because the ones I was renting were several seasons old?

Going to St anton and chamonix in next while so might try a few ones out, see what's on offer in report and online
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8611, the msot obvious tip I can come up with is if you buy them on holiday and have travelled out ski-less them make sure you have the means to get them home before parting with your cash and then finding a saw is the only way to fit them in your suitcase!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the top sheets are shagged so is the rest. Rental bindings are expensive. A skis trade price is roughly half retail less vat on the whole; bargain less than that and they have to be new or almost. Always have cash.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:

About now until the end of the month is usually the best time to buy, past that only weird sizes are left or they have been dumped en mass to eastern europe.

Rental places are only going to get rid of skis once they are old and had it, many will also have had demo bindings fitted for easy adjustment. I would avoid and trawl ebay for skis that may be a couple of seasons old like rentals but have had only a few weeks use by a brit, skis don't last all that long if used frequently.
latest report
Btw you don't have to offer to buy after first day, they will usually put the rental you pay against the sale price so you won't lose or save money by buying on d1 or d6. Thus you could try a few skis. But you would be better doing this in January not March. Maybe you should rent this time, and buy next Jan?
snow report
under a new name, if you get 120 snow days, how many services do you get? What is thr optimim frequency of servicing so you have good skis but they last, assuming you are reasonably fast skier who pretty much skis all day?
snow conditions
If you happen to be in France during Autumn, look out for any 'bourse aux skis' - very popular trading posts for old gear, and they are abundant round about October time. We picked up some amazing bargains pre-season last year. Ladies snowboard with rear-entry bindings + boots + nearly-new helmet - 140 EUR the lot, for example. Admittedly the boots are crap.
ski holidays
beequin wrote:
I would look on the sale racks between now and September instead, especially some of the American outlet stores (Evo, levelnine) if the dollar is weak.

don't forget the import charges if you do that...they will be picked up by customs
snow conditions
narc wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

About now until the end of the month is usually the best time to buy, past that only weird sizes are left or they have been dumped en mass to eastern europe.

Rental places are only going to get rid of skis once they are old and had it, many will also have had demo bindings fitted for easy adjustment. I would avoid and trawl ebay for skis that may be a couple of seasons old like rentals but have had only a few weeks use by a brit, skis don't last all that long if used frequently.

Ditto, I have had some great skis off ebay, regardless of age, but every ex-rental has been completely shot. Either way you will need patience and a knowledge of ski repair to get the best out of them. Saying that, I was mainly self taught and utube university but do ok..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy