Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach, Kitzbuhel or St Anton for late Jan, early Feb 2014

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Europe from Australia for 2014. I've got the French part sorted, Meribel and the 3 Valleys for 7 days. Now I need to choose a location for Austria for end of Jan / start of Feb. At the moment I'm tossing up between Saalbach, Kitzbuhel and St Anton. I'm a keen intermediate skiier, would like a lively town but don't go out til 3am and would like somewhere with some Austrian charm after staying in a French mega resort. It's also important the ski area is big enough to keep me occupied for a week (and not too much of a let down after Meribel.)

Saalbach and Kitzbuhel sound lovely but I'm a little concerned that they're not as reliable snow wise as St Anton, especially as I'm travelling half way around the world. St Anton worries me with reports of overcrowded pistes and lack of any crusing easier runs.

Give me your thoughts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All three will be fine for snow in late Jan/early Feb.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saalbach! Loved it even more than St Anton, but you can't go wrong with SA either.

Saalbach literally has everything IMO. (Have to say IMO for Pam w).

Never been to Kitzbuhel, but I know the town is lovely. I don't think the skiing is quite as good as the other two but that's only what I've read, others may disagree.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Piccadilly. Leaning towards Saalbach at the moment. Really just the worry about snow conditions holding me back. Even have accommodation picked out. Just need to wait for my work to approve my leave before I can book anything unfortunately.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saalbach is great, and dont worry about snowconditions late Jan/Feb!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Raven, the conditions in Saalbach this year at the beginning of Feb were as good as I've seen anywhere and at any time. No guarantee, of course, but if decent coverage was a regular issue, why have a resort there at all? wink Besides, there are plenty of snow canons.

Seriously, I'd not be overly concerned for the end of Jan/early Feb. Certainly no more so than most other places. As for the town - it is smart, has charm and an outstanding apres reputation with as much or as little as you can stand.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Anton if you want offpiste, Saalbach if you prefer to stay on. Kitz can be quite expensive, I've only skied there for one week so can't really claim to know the area, but I think the skiing is better in the other two. Also check out Ischgl, again can be quite expensive, has better piste skiing than St Anton, and if anything even more snow sure early season. I've never had snow problems in Saalbach though, and have spent a fair bit of time there instructing (including Christmas and last week of the season).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks clarky. At this stage I'm more of an piste skiier though would like to try some offpiste lessons at some point. Not sure if Ishgl has the Austrian charm I'm looking for although I've heard good reports of the place. If Saalbach is cheaper than the other two that's a plus too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raven, We're now living in Saalbach for most of the winter, so more than willing to answer any questions. Although I accept no responsibilty for any future extraordinary weather', we have had no snow problems in the seven years that we have been coming here between the third week of December and the end of March. Last year and also this year the snow conditions in January and February have been really fantastic, as many snowHead s will testify, and in 2012 we were still able to ski down to the village and to our front door until 8th April, (on which date we left in a snowstorm!).

The 'norm' is for the snow to arrive in early December, give or take a week, and to reach peak depths during February. (The Ski Club of Great Britain website provides historical snow depths). During the last few years, we have often remarked that some of the nicest skiing, on perfectly groomed, very quiet pistes, has been in the week or two before Christmas. The resort closes on the second weekend of April and in recent years there has been adequate snow on the upper and the main lower pistes until the end of the ski season.

Snow depths are enhanced by snow cannons on virtually all of the main pistes, and the lift company has always made the point that skiing is possible with relatively low snow depths, because, when not snow-covered, the mountains are mainly grassy, rather than strewn with rocks. This really has relevance only at the extremities of the ski season. The resort is also at a significantly higher altitude than many others in Salzburgerland and the Tirol, including Kitzbuehel, with consequent benefits for both the quantity and the quality of the snow.

If you would like me to send you a copy of my 18 page (when I last counted), comprehensive guide to Saalbach-Hinterglemm, PM me your e-mail address.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ I can testify that it's a GREAT guide.

And if you ever happen to see Mr Tatman on the slopes at the start of a run and he says "You'll like this", it'll be awesome.

Oh, we were there in early Feb and the snow was the best I've ever known anywhere. Granted it's a good snow year, but still.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piccadilly, You're too kind! Embarassed or should that be a Blush
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Piccadilly wrote:

And if you ever happen to see Mr Tatman on the slopes at the start of a run and he says "You'll like this", it'll be awesome.

Whereas if you manage to make the apres apres ski with TT, and he says "you'll like this", prepare for an awesome hangover Laughing Spoiler
unless you don't do hangovers....either way, it'll still be fun Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Whereas if you manage to make the apres apres ski with TT, and he says "you'll like this", prepare for an awesome hangover

...and if you make the apres-apres-apres-ski with Chasseur, prepare for a bovine legover Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PM sent Tatman's Tours.

I thought at first that maybe I was getting a bit overenthusiastic booking this early but the place I've booked in Meribel has already booked out of single rooms for most weeks in January / February!
snow report
I've now added Ischgl to the list. Not the cheapest place I know but snow reliability sounds good and lots of intermediate terrain.
latest report
Raven, I've got into conversation with a few people this season (e.g. a couple of German guys I was talking to a few nights ago), who've told me that they like Ischgl but on balance prefer Saalbach for its relative attractiveness (forested scenery, tree-lined pistes, etc ) and better mountain restaurants. Personally I've never skied in Ischgl and can't therefore give an opinion based on personal experience, but I'm sure that others such as clarky999, can . I have no doubt that its an excellent resort, particularly when snow-sureness becomes an issue at the extremities of the ski season.
snow report
Thanks Tatman's tours. Good scenery and food are important for me so I'm still probably leaning towards Saalbach at this stage. As others have said first week of February should be fine.
snow report
Raven, just to add my pennyworth.
Iscghl lacks character and is expensive but has great apres ski and some great long red run pistes glorious for letting the skis run- exhilirating.
Saalbach is more characterful and has a some good red pistes, in particular the Schattberg, and a circular well linked ski area to keep any intermediate busy all day long, cheaper than Ischgl.
Kitzbuehel has character, atmosphere and history by the shed load. It has a good sized ski area with some off accessible off piste and ski routes, red runs not as exhilarating as Ischgl or as well linked as Saalbach. There are also a couple of bottleneck ski lifts in the linked area. It does have the Streif race piste on which to test your mettle. The legendary Hahenkamm race weekend takes place mid January, a fabulous time to visit Kitzbuehel- ski race fans throng the town, party atmosphere, a world famous sporting event, not to be missed.
Kitzbuehel is more of a town so convenience of lodging needs to be considered. It has a couple of good apres ski bars.
St Anton is short on long cruising reds but has a big choice of technically demanding reds and ski routes to entertain a good intermediate and, of course, accessible off piste for which St Anton is renowned. Long lift queues seem to be a thing of the past. The main homebound piste late afternoon gets very crowded, but apart from that no problems. The village has more character than Ischgl. It also has the legendary Mooserwirt and Krazy Kangeroo bars.
St. Anton and Ischgl, being in Western Austria, are closer travelwise to France. Saalbach and Kitzbuehel are further east. St Anton and Kitzbuehel are both on main rail routes.
Hope that helps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy