Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Hanging out in Niseko in February (pic heavy!)

Poster: A snowHead

Here I am dodging some weird brown sticky things in awesome snow.

Living in a country with next to no trees and rare powder days skiing in Japan is really, really different to anything I normally get up to. My ski buddy Nick on the other hand was fresh off a season in Revelstoke so had plenty of practice tree skiing. Mind you, he also managed to dislocate a shoulder and knacker his other ACL during that time in Canada so I was also hoping we would be avoiding hospitals.

We stayed in Hirafu on the north island Hokkaido for eleven days and skied fresh snow every single day. The worst it got was on par with my best days skiing here in Iceland.

We stayed in the Slow Life lodge with a whole bunch of Aussies, a few Kiwis and the odd European. The lodge itself was awesome and a good mix of people of all ages were staying there. It's not a party place which was awesome for us because we were up for first lifts and skiing hard all day before collapsing in bed around ten each night.

Slow Life

The Niseko resort area is divided up into five separate ski areas connected by the top lifts. Grand Hirafu, where we were staying, was by far the busiest and got skied out really quickly. The other areas tended to be quieter and we had a good few days early on scooting round and finding little bits of untouched snow here and there. Consequently we spent a whole lot of time looking for ways to get less crowded fresh tracks. Top of that list was the tiny ski area called Moiwa. It's not part of the official Niseko area so you need a separate lift ticket (we were buying day tickets anyway) but is within spitting distance of Annupurri and you can ski between the two. The highlight of the area is one high speed quad that dumps you off near the peak of the mountain with a fair amount of in-bounds off-piste and one backcountry gate that opens up pretty much the entire mountain. It was also nearly deserted every time we turned up. There were so few people skiing it that we turned up the day after Mike_Pow recommended it to us and with a rare night of no snowfall still skied fresh tracks all day. The queue for the first lift also makes for an awesome fashion show, lots of exotic skis and kit on display in comparison with the more conventional lift lines minutes away. Our two best lift served days were had zipping up and down the quad including a really memorable day on the first chair where we opened up pretty much every slope. When we go back we'll plan more and spend waaay more time away from the main ski area at the nearby resorts as the secret there is well and truly out. You can still have a good time but you're competing for everything much more than you do even a twenty minute ride away.

Awesome house pillows, although I'm not sure it's structurally sound.

The backcountry gates system they have is pretty well thought out although the summit gates are a complete shitshow. Lots of very inexperienced people hiking up and dropping in all over the place on top of one another. We only went up there once and skied down a reasonably steep little gully off the back, almost everyone else dropped in further round or off the front and fell down the length of the pitch in one form or another. It'd be awesome to be at the front of the herd and wasn't bad at all with the route we skied (3rd and 4th down it even a couple of hours after the gates opened) but it's not something I'd be keen to repeat.

Our hands down best day was spent sled tow-in skiing with Par's Powder Paradise. Par has an awesome mountain to play on which has much steeper, treed terrain than you typically find as well as plenty of nice features on the slopes. Plus you have the entire place to yourself.

Lunchbreak from sled skiing.

We also went Cat Skiing with Iwanai Cat Tour which was fun but somewhat lacking in the terrain available. We also got slightly unlucky with the snow which was pretty wind affected with slightly refrozen tracks from the previous day. The entire outfit is run at an old ski area with one working chairlift and the Cat op drives up further but not to the top of the mountain. The rusting ski lifts give the place an interesting ambience. We also provided amusement for the local kids who were super excited to see us. It'd be a great place to get away to for a day trip if you're a reasonable intermediate off-piste skier though.

Slashing big sprays on our own private mountain with the worst conditions of the trip, still pretty damn good!

Inside a dead lift.

Hirafu itself is an awesome little town, very touristy as you'd expect but it has a really high density of really good restaurants. You tend to need to book the more classy places but as long as you're not too fussy about exactly what kind of food you want it was easy to find space somewhere. Onsens are not to be missed either and very welcome given the amount of time I spend in the geothermal pools in Iceland. The 'ritual' is similar as well as is the sublime feeling of sitting in hot water whilst the sky is pouring snow on to you.

The main drag.

Teppanyaki.

TLDR; go skiing in Japan it's absolutely amazing.

Video to follow tomorrow.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 12-03-13 9:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent. Great to see you had an awesome time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice report meh...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers chaps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great pics, lovely TR! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yet Another Pretentious Travel-Ski Edit - Japan from Charles Palmer
http://vimeo.com/61605376

Now with video action.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks awesome, thanks for posting snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yeah and one tip, remember to reapply silicon spray to the GoPro housing before going off somewhere so snowy! Too much over the head snow = view being blanked out immediately. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, Love it!

So, if/when you go again, where would you stay to minimise powder competition/travel to quieter areas? I've been thinking about Black Diamond Lodge, as I'll be going alone and will need to find people to hook up with.

The sled skiing sounds like a must do. I assume taking skins opens up a load of untracked terrain too?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, TBH I think you could stay in a similar area (BD Lodge is in Niseko Village so just round the corner from where we were) and hire a car then tootle around like Mike_Pow and Magseven have been in their respective Snow Report threads. Then you get the benefit of being near the amenities and ability to strike out to other areas.

Skinning wise there looked to be loads and I did ski with skins in my bag most days but never used them as there was plentiful snow to be found. Most stuff was easy to get to with short bootpacks that didn't warrant all the faff of using skins. There is so much small-scale, fun looking terrain (and avi barriers) accessible via a quick hoof/skin from near roadside.

The sled skiing really made me want a sled. Sad

Picking a popular and well advertised in ze movies lodge is probably a good way to go for finding good ski partners if you're going out solo. They also do a bunch of guided stuff but are massively booked out in advance from the looks of things.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think we chatted one day in Moiwa! Nice vid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmer, getting off the bus?

Small world! Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah yeah! Got a few good runs in that day before the lift shut again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yer we were on the first lift that day, which was also the one day we didn't pack skins. You could keep going all day with reasonably quick laps, with a teensy bit of effort from the double and saw some guys doing just that a bit later on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah we ended up building a little jump, the guys I was with weren't keen for a hike.

I think you just liked my Asahidake vid on vimeo, where'd you see it?
latest report
jimmer, yup, I found another one of your videos on here trying to work out who you were and found it on Vimeo.
latest report
Ah got it! I've only shared that on Facebook so wondered how you'd seen it. Was planning on writing a TR like this one, but I have a broken hand atm, which makes typing frustrating!
ski holidays
meh, Nice. I really have got to get out to Japan next season...
latest report
Glad you appreciated the funky overhead power distribution! One of my favorite sights in Japan Shocked

Great TR! snowHead
snow report
Love the trees in pic 1, reminds me a bit of the W Forest on la Mole (the mountain you see from Geneva as you look towards mt Blanc)

ski holidays
That's an awesome shot!
snow report
Just saw the vid. Brilliant...
ski holidays
Cheers!
snow conditions
Very nice! Great video and tune. Sod the camera let's just ski! Haha.

Back again next year....?
ski holidays
The guy and his girlfriend who were out with me got engaged, so next year it's a wedding in Scotland (where we all met) and possible stag do touring here in Iceland or the Alps. 2015 for sure though! Very Happy
snow report
excellent report meh - completely agree. I was with nick parks, a UK IFGMA guide and a group of 12 in total from 17 Feb for 8 days. we based at Green Leaf in Niseko Village and used Black Diamond for beers and a lodge atmosphere. On balance i think you are right - staying in Hirafu is better as there are really no restaurants at Niseko Village except for the Green Leaf and Hilton hotel restaurants and the Black Diamond. but clarky999 if you were skiing with Black DIamond their lodge would obviously be ideal

we used 2 local guides, one was Toshi from Black Diamond (not on the website but a good guy - split snowboarder with skins).

for good off piste skiers i think it absolutely a must to have access to transport and to buy day passes only at Niseko. we had 4 days included as part of our package and only skied 1 day because the top gates were shut (wind) on all of the other days.

having said that, we skied other places (often just a ski hill with one lift) including chisenupuri, kirora etc before moving to asahidake. all were excellent in their own ways and definitely part of the experience.

upsides: deep and high quality powder with excellent tree skiing in a distinctively different ski region with food, beer, onsens, people all a positive

downsides: shortish pitches (at least where we were and even with skins), cold, windy and snowing most of the time in Feb
latest report
chrisJersey wrote:
excellent report meh - completely agree. I was with nick parks, a UK IFGMA guide and a group of 12 in total from 17 Feb for 8 days. we based at Green Leaf in Niseko Village and used Black Diamond for beers and a lodge atmosphere. On balance i think you are right - staying in Hirafu is better as there are really no restaurants at Niseko Village except for the Green Leaf and Hilton hotel restaurants and the Black Diamond. but clarky999 if you were skiing with Black DIamond their lodge would obviously be ideal

Far more choice in Hirafu.

Prativo, opposite the Black Diamond offices, is an excellent restaurant offering a JPY 1,500 lunch special and JPY 4,000 dinner set.

Quote:
for good off piste skiers i think it absolutely a must to have access to transport and to buy day passes only at Niseko. we had 4 days included as part of our package and only skied 1 day because the top gates were shut (wind) on all of the other days.

Definitely.

Quote:
having said that, we skied other places (often just a ski hill with one lift) including chisenupuri, kirora etc before moving to asahidake. all were excellent in their own ways and definitely part of the experience.

That's the charm of this part of Hokkaido. Lots of smaller ski hills with good terrain and no competition for the powder.

Quote:
upsides: deep and high quality powder with excellent tree skiing in a distinctively different ski region with food, beer, onsens, people all a positive

downsides: shortish pitches (at least where we were and even with skins), cold, windy and snowing most of the time in Feb

The wind has been a pain in the back bottom this winter.

However "deep and high quality powder" normally comes as a result of "cold and snowing most of the time".

If you're looking for clearer weather with powder still to be had then March is the go.
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

Isn't that the truth. It's my third year here, and this winter has certainly been the windiest. (Written as another gale is raging outside!)

How about in your experience, Mike?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
one thing I should have said is that I heliski in Canada fairly regularly and, for those like me travelling from the UK, I dont think Hokkaido should put people off based on distance. It is actually a pretty similiar journey and time zone wise I actually prefer heading East. I will definitely be back and envy you guys who are based there.
latest report
MagSeven wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Isn't that the truth. It's my third year here, and this winter has certainly been the windiest. (Written as another gale is raging outside!)

How about in your experience, Mike?

Windiest in my 6 winters. By a long way.
ski holidays
chrisJersey wrote:
one thing I should have said is that I heliski in Canada fairly regularly and, for those like me travelling from the UK, I dont think Hokkaido should put people off based on distance. It is actually a pretty similiar journey and time zone wise I actually prefer heading East. I will definitely be back and envy you guys who are based there.

Great to hear.

I've skied with a couple of guys who've heliskied prior to skiing on Hokkaido and whilst they've enjoyed the experience they haven't returned to Hokkaido.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy