Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Daily Mail: a historical authority on ski fashion?

Poster: A snowHead
The "skier's newspaper" (as it used to describe itself, when it published ski magazines and ran ski shows) has a scoop today on Prince Charles ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291016/Prince-Charles-pictured-skiing-Swiss-resort-Klosters-Camilla-seen.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

... back in his old sliding ground of Klosters ... in skiwear which the DM's Mark Duell describes as ...

Quote:
... 80s retro ski gear of a turquoise jacket, blue hat and green trousers ...

Those with a better memory than me may be able to say whether that's true or not. Is the Prince of Wales really skiing in 25-year-old skiwear (or skiwear which retros to it)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comedy Goldsmith, Looking at those photos I'd say Prince Charles has updated his skiwear as he is no longer in that one piece fartbag he used to use.

Good to see he's still sticking with his Salomon SX93 rear entry ski boots though..... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That jacket looks pretty new, those boots are horrible though! Why would he not buy new ones!?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's nothing horrible about the boots. The design derives from the Salomon SX91 - perhaps the most intelligent ski boot design ever manufactured.

In the days that footwear was made, people were able to get their boots on/off without becoming escapologists, and were able to walk without impersonating Frankenstein. The boots also had a highly effective flex control, which is unknown on 4-clip boots (a prehistoric and obsolete concept, 30 years beyond its sell-by date).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
There's nothing horrible about the boots. The design derives from the Salomon SX91 - perhaps the most intelligent ski boot design ever manufactured.

In the days that footwear was made, people were able to get their boots on/off without becoming escapologists, and were able to walk without impersonating Frankenstein. The boots also had a highly effective flex control, which is unknown on 4-clip boots (a prehistoric and obsolete concept, 30 years beyond its sell-by date).

Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's interesting that in the recent photos Prince Charles and Harry favour a woolly hat, whilst Prince William favours a ski helmet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Yes, and yet the Queen gave him one in 1969.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like the entire family is now sponsored by Helly Hanson.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

My 76 year old Father in Law skis with those boots. he sees no reason to change them, says they are more comfortable than 'modern' boots - they certainly look it, and it takes him a fraction of the time to get them on that we do.

You wonder why this elegant design solution lost out. Maybe too expensive to manufacture?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
emwmarine wrote:
You wonder why this elegant design solution lost out. Maybe too expensive to manufacture?

Salomon - who completely led the market through the 1980s with this design (which originated from about 8 years R+D and refinement) - lost their bottle. That's all it was. Rear-entry boots were always snubbed by racers (and some top instructors) but they are far more ergonomic and relevant to recreational skiers. Including Prince Charles, it would seem.

Salomon lost their bottle in the early 1990s - i.e. 20 years ago - scrapping all their work and simply copying 4-clip models from other manufacturers (the concept of a row of 4-5 clips began with leather ski boots in the late 1960s).

A few weeks ago I was skiing in an advanced Nordica mid-rear entry boot called the Syntech. It was originally made in about 1995, I think. Very very nice to use, and great to ski in.

All the Salomon - and other - rear-entry design patents have now expired. I'd be amazed if there isn't a big revival in the years ahead.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do full tilt not make rear entry boots? I remember seeing pics of them a couple of years ago and they look like brightly coloured salomons
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmer wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Laughing
My Austro-German wife, who grew up on a ski piste, still uses her SX91s. She refuses point blank to switch to anything that is less easy to use. Needless to say she can ski circles around most people I know, and around most that I don't know too.
I'm desperately looking for something to replace them with cos I'm fairly sure they will break in half one of these days. Any suggestions?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What happened to the ski and snowboard magazine I know its still published but when did the daily mail come of the title and why?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
My Austro-German wife, who grew up on a ski piste, still uses her SX91s.

In that case, she is not using an Austro-German ski product.

Vintageryan wrote:
What happened to the ski and snowboard magazine I know its still published but when did the daily mail come of the title and why?

This website - the so-called "magazinesabout.co.uk" - won't help you with an answer to that question ...
http://www.magazinesabout.co.uk/magazines/view/Daily+Mail+Ski+and+Snowboard+Magazine
... nor will this one ...
http://www.hothouse-productions.com/daily-mail-ski--board-magazine
... nor will this lively ski forum ...
http://dmss.proboards.com/index.cgi

... because the Daily Mail's commercial association with skiing began to unwind in 2006 ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=19121
[By the way that thread, opened by the disreputable 'The Abominable snowHead', appears to be a load of yetishit in terms of the "internal memo" etc.]

A company called VOS Media was formed in 2009, taking over the Daily Mail's (DMG World Media's) interests in sport and leisure. As for the year in which 'Daily Mail' dropped off the front cover of the magazine, someone's bound to be along shortly to give a definitive answer to that.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 11-03-13 9:13; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:
Oh. You mean I have been mislead all these years?
snow report
I should also point out that the Daily Mail is not an Austro-German product, though Hitler probably used to read it.

Quote:
Lord Rothermere was a friend of Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, and directed the Mail's editorial stance towards them in the 1930s.

See "Inter-war Period": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
My Austro-German wife, who grew up on a ski piste, still uses her SX91s.

That's, erm, disgraceful Puzzled
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
I should also point out that the Daily Mail is not an Austro-German product, though Hitler probably used to read it.

Quote:
Lord Rothermere was a friend of Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, and directed the Mail's editorial stance towards them in the 1930s.

You mean he used to read the Daily Mail while watching Liverpool play football? Unlikely, given that the irish wife of his scouser half brother Alois claimed that H never managed to learn enough english to buy a beer. Even if he did spend any time in Liverpool, which may or may not be the case!
ski holidays
I remember a well known bootfitter claiming to be the Bootfitter to prince Charles, in more recent times than those boots existed!!
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Quote:

You mean he used to read the Daily Mail while watching Liverpool play football? Unlikely, given that the irish wife of his scouser half brother Alois claimed that H never managed to learn enough english to buy a beer. Even if he did spend any time in Liverpool, which may or may not be the case!

You are obviously taking the term "read" too literally. When Goldsmith says "read" he means Adolf actually just looked at the pictures like most other scoucers.
snow report
Vintageryan wrote:

OK, following extensive research I think I can now definitively state that Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard became Ski and Snow Board from the first issue of the magazine this season. Last season it was still Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard though VOS Media seem to have been operating it independently of the newspaper, in terms of editorial.

Of course, as we discovered last month, the Telegraph group took over VOS media last month and any cross-media stuff - particularly concerning the ski shows - will no doubt reflect that.

Note: there are actually several changes to the magazine logo. It's now all in upper case, the ampersand (&) has been changed to 'and', and the words snow and board have been separated. All designed to create a fresh image for the mag, no doubt, though it's interesting that the current Mar/Apr issue prominently celebrates its 25th anniversary. When's the party?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 11-03-13 21:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just read the first article with the pictures from 1998. Why does he still wear that awful piece of material round his neck? Get a modern buff if he can't get his servant to carry something in his backpack in case the weather turns bad. I'm exactly the same age as Charles and cringe whenever I see what he is wearing. Although I do pity him in one way - I've been retired for 4 years and he is still waiting to start his job.
ski holidays
If it's in the Daily Mail then it has to be true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066155/Hitler-spent-months-living-Liverpool-flat-later-destroyed-Luftwaffe.html
ski holidays
Quote:

I remember a well known bootfitter claiming to be the Bootfitter to prince Charles, in more recent times than those boots existed!!

Perhaps he needed new liners or orthotics for his falling arches, or a pair of AT boots for OP days! On the other hand, maybe not.
snow conditions
Quote:

Because you can never get them to fit properly.
snow report
I don't suppose Charles needs a helmet. If he banged his head and started spouting drivel, no-one would notice that anything had happened.
snow report
I'll be first in the queue if they bring back rear entry boots. Prince Charlie can wait in line (he's been doing that for years anyway)...
snow conditions
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Head i-type has been superseded by the Cube3 - still only one top buckle, but two on the forefoot. Shame as my wife really enjoyed skiing in them as a hire pair. In the end, she bought the Edge 80 instead.
ski holidays
The jacket our future King is wearing is in the current Helly Hansen catalogue at £400.
http://shop.hellyhansen.com/gb/item/odin-guiding-light-jacket-66557/

I loved my SX81's but they eventually went too sloppy to use after about 30 weeks skiing. They were so comfortable, and easy. Happy days. Can I be second in that queue?

Aren't any of you still wearing old gear and seeing no reason to change it?

If his boots failed he would fall over. Same as you or I. I think he's old enough to risk assess his own stuff don't you?
snow report
snowyowl wrote:
If his boots failed he would fall over. Same as you or I. I think he's old enough to risk assess his own stuff don't you?

He has someone to prepare his clothes in the morning and replace them if they're worn out, I would simply expect him to have the same for his sportswear.

That said I disagree that he would just 'fall over' if the boots failed, he or anyone else could have a fairly spectacular accident if a boot disintegrates when skiing at speed or tricky terrain.

Beequin, the Cube3 and it's three buckles might be a bit too modern for some folk, best ease them in gently with the i-Type's two buckles. wink
Plenty of i-Types to be had in the sales here in France at the moment, should reduce that queue back to the 90s quite a bit...
snow report
It was my wife's old SX61s I was replacing. albinomountainbadger, you need to be a size 3 or a size 11 to fit the remaining i-types in the UK - unless some one has a stash somewhere I could not locate.
latest report
Headline;

"One's looking cool!"

Er, sorry, but one isn't!
ski holidays
Good research goldsmith. I was actually interested in the answer.

The latest resort guide wtsas 2013 still has on its cover a mention of daily mail ski and snowboard but I think the book is published in October.

BTW Hitler was a known ladies man so zoo or nuts was probably more his thing.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/riSGt5EQ1xA
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy