Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booked for Easter 2013 Finally!! Now driving there tips needed!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Well after much researching, going back and forth we finally settled on Montchavin. Got a good price for an apartment there, there is a swimming pool in the residence (son will turn 6 on holiday so good for him), free lift pass for said son second week when he is 6, when buying two adult passes, hopefully a nice little town as described and access to higher areas for the snow should it start to melt lower down....

So now we need to plan the drive down. Going from Scotland, intend leaving 5am or thereabouts Good Friday and head straight to tunnel. On a flexi ticket so will get on 1st available train which is ideal, as we were having to give ourselves a few hours extra to get there incase we didn't leave at 5am (will prob be more like 6 I guess by the time we on the road no doubt) or if there were any traffic problems. Having to hang around for our slot if they didn't put us on an earlier one would have been very frustrating if we did arrive early, so flexi plus ideal.

We weren't intending booking any hotels in France in advance so that we are not restricted to having to stop at a certain place. Again would be frustrating if we picked somewhere more north and then felt we were fine to drive on, but again, having to force ourselves to drive on when we have had enough is even worse. My question on this is, is it advisable to not book or should we? Would really like to make it to at least Troyes. Re son, he's used to long drives and travelling, so he'll just sleep when he needs to, and watch DVDs play his tablet, try and read some books, when he isn't, so no worries there. He'll be let out to stretch his legs every so often! 2 drivers although husband will do most, again he's quite used to lots of driving. Would love to make Dijon, as we are picking friends up from Geneva airport and they arrive at 6.45 am Saturday, so would rather they are not hanging around too long.

I take it the best route is just using viamichelin? I've tried to put in Geneva airport, but can only get Geneva? ( haven't tried too hard though, I guess now I am writing this I should look up the airport post code?). We know we need to get a vignette, still to do that and also thinking about a toll doofer. Als someone mentioned a route - Jura? Would this eb worth a shot? how do i get in on viamichelin,Im clueless to where it is! What's the deal on sat navs with speed detectors? OH said he read even if it is turned off ( the speed detector thingy) you can still be fined? Does this mean we can't use ours?

Drove to outside Troyes summer 2011 so have the usual triangle, hi vis vests etc, and have a breathalyser, but will buy one of the disposable ones at the tunnel as not sure ours conforms to the French requirements.

Toyed with getting winter tyres, but due to cost and the fact we are heading at Easter and to a low resort we think we will just get chains this year, and practice practice practice before we go.

Anything else?

Thanks to everyone who has given me input on my other threads on the lead up to this!!

Gill
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilly28, have a look at google maps too.

Not sure why you are looking at Geneva airport and vignettes rather than putting Montchavin as your destination? That's a very long journey and your best bet is probably sticking to motorway. €160 return tolls. The Jura route doesn't really make sense if you are heading to Montchavin.

I don't normally book hotels ahead, for the very reasons you cite. You might have to try a few, but most of the places off the motorway have a selection of cheap or cheapish hotels in out of town retail/industrial centres, and it's not hard to try others if the first you try is full.

The problem with satnavs is only in Switzerland - fine in France though check that your satnav isn't taking you anywhere daft, as you near your destination. They tend not to know about mountain passes and roads closed by snow!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kudos, thats a long drive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't bother booking a hotel. There are many to choose from - we've never failed to find a room although once our favourite hotel in Chalons was full!
There are plenty of hotels around Dijon. Have a look online before you go to see where they are located - at the motorway junctions usually if you want Etap, Ibis, Holiday Inn, Campanile chain sort of places. Or if you want quirky French family-run etc head for town centre of any small town, park and walk and see.

Take chains, definitely, but you should be fine with normal tyres on normal roads at Easter. Take a torch in case. And a shovel. We were impressed with a folding plastic one we have, when we had to dig our car out last Easter! Nice and light to use, yet robust.

The easiest way (IMO!) to Dijon is from Calais, head for Reims, then just stay on the southbound autoroute. Boring.. but fast. We drive for approx 2 hours each and stop for fuel/loo/picnic/coffee at changeover times. When not driving try to rest/sleep, it's a hell of a trip from Scotland (tiring enough from Peterborough!) We just stick a credit card in the toll machines. Unless you are going to drive this way frequently it may be more hassle than it's worth to get a toll pass thing. I got my French breathalyser at Halfords.
For son, take drinks and spare clothes. Also food for all. Try to take food which isn't messy! At the tunnel where you queue to be loaded there is a great fast food caravan which sells excellent bacon baps etc quicker and cheaper than the slow fast food at the terminal.
Also take a supply of old carrier bags for bins, it's amazing how much rubbish you make on a journey and if you have several bags you can get rid of it (smelly banana skins..). You'll need water in good supply as well. Being addicted, I take a thermos of coffee too and can happily pour and drink when OH is driving.
There are not that many speed cameras if you go on the autoroute and they are all signposted, so when you see the sign, check your speed. Don't forget that the speed limit is lower (110kph) if it's wet. I think the definition of wet is if you need your wipers on.
Watch your speed when the lower limit starts approaching toll booths. The gendarmes patrol them and can fine you on the spot.
The journey after Geneva will be very busy traffic wise so be prepared for some delays. You can't really get lost, it's well signposted all the way. The traffic news station is signposted (107.5 FM I think) and they do give out the traffic news in English occasionally.
Good luck and have fun.
PS take your sunglasses in the car, not packed away. You may well need them on the journey. Gilly28,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, We're picking friends up at Geneva airport.

Corduroy, Laughing I know!!! We're going to give it a try, can't really get packages for two weeks at Easter from here anyway, they all seem to stop. Will give it a go this year...

snowyowl, thank you.Yes sunglasses will def not be packed away I wear mine at the first hint of sun at any time of year!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sunglasses are a good call!
We use the telepeage tags so we believe they are worth while, even on 1 or two trips a year. You can now get them from a UK based company.

Where in Scotland are driving from? Calais-Dijon is 350 miles and 5hrs at least. Add the lost hour and you are going to have a long day!

I'd always book accommodation and, based on your timings, if you appear to be considering Dijon, it could be quite late at night. Some of the larger hotel chains Ibis etc allow late arrivals and sometimes cancellation on arrival day before say 5:00pm. Please don't underestimate the weather, even at easter. On one trip I was staying a ibis in Dole, late arrival, icy roads and so foggy I could not see the hotel only 200yd away.

Sat Navs in France are OK, camera detectors are not, also camera warnings on the sat nav are not (according to Pocket GPS who sell the services). Get a good map, Sat Nav if possible. If using a Sat nav Scope out the route to ensure it makes sense. I've had routes double back on themselves.

Good luck
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I think the definition of wet is if you need your wipers on

I thought it was when the road was wet - but it might well be about wipers.

yes, sorry, didn't read properly Embarassed I see why you are going to Geneva airport. What time are you picking them up?

The Jura route would be a nice change after all that motorway, saving useful amount of tolls and only adding about 15 minutes. I find google maps good for this sort of planning - use Calais - Poligny - Ferney Voltaire - Montchavin as waypoints. Google maps makes that 9 hours 20 minutes - less than an hour more than the direct motorway route to Montchavin via Lyon.

Ferney Voltaire is the town on the French side of Geneva airport.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FraserP, Driving from just outside Glasgow, not far from Glasgow airport, so we're on the motorway pretty quickly. Yes we know its a long drive, and not really expecting to get to Dijon, but it would be great if we did. Definately want to get to at least Troyes though. We've done that drive before albeit with a stop over next to ferry and got ferry in morning, but that was more because friends were driving with their caravan, so a lot to do in one go with the van. I think we could manage it. Intend staying at the cheap chain hotels if we can, good to know that you can perhaps cancel before a certain time on arrival day, will look into that and maybe book one anyway so we have a point in mind as a stop off. No we are not underestimating the weather, we know it can all change in a day. It's a catch 22 really, want clear roads, but a fresh dump would be nice! If it can hang off until during night on the 30th it would be most appreciated!

pam w, They arrive at 6.45am so they will have some hanging about to do whatever, but they will take their time getting off plane, getting luggage etc. Never know, they could be delayed! I'll get OH onto the google maps. Someone did advise picking them up on Swiss side (think it was you actually) as an easier drive that side? Straight onto motorway. What is the road like on the Jura route? Is it a twisty road, high up with drops at the side? I hate these kind of roads, so want as little of them as possible!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you need to overnight, don`t discount chambre d`hotes. We always stop near Dijon or Troyes, normally paying between 45 and 70 euros for 2 breakfast inc, or 60 to 80 euro for a family room of 4. B and B is real France, and an antidote to faceless hotels and resort accommodation.We normally stay in fantastic locations, in historic buildings full of character. Having said that, breakfast is VERY important for me, and the hosts are normally very proud of their food. Many places do elaborate evening meals, always with local produce. There is no need for breathalysers at the moment; it was never put through as law. Your sat nav will have updated itself to remove camera locations in the last year; instead it will warn you of a danger zone of approx 2 km. Places do get booked up at Easter, but I can only speak for b and b`s; done the cheap motels before, and would rather sleep in car. ( rooms smelling of smoke, yogurt or something worse on the blankets, bogeys on the sideboard ) Have a safe journey.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Is it a twisty road, high up with drops at the side? I hate these kind of roads, so want as little of them as possible!

No, it's a good road, well engineered. There are some bends, particularly dropping down off the Jura into Geneva, but not narrow ones, and no hairy drop offs.

As usual you have a good range of advice - some people never book hotels, some always do! I do agree the table d'hotes are much more interesting and I would use them in summer, on a meandering sort of journey where you can stop around 6 pm, check in, have a walk out, find a nice local restaurant (few of them do dinner) and then enjoy a chat over breakfast. But when I drive to the Alps in winter it's not like that. Typically I would make one of my "every 2 hour" stops around 6.30 pm and have an evening meal, then do another stage before heading at random off the autoroute towards a town and finding a hotel. Just get there in time to go to sleep, really. Then I get out early and make my first stop a breakfast stop.

I would strongly recommend having a decent paper map, not relying on satnav.

Normally pick up on the international (Swiss) side of Geneva is easiest. But it will be bedlam on Easter Saturday, especially as the arrivals car park is closed. If you come over the Jura route using the default Google maps route from Poligny to Ferney Voltaire (through Gex) you will pass the entrance to the French side of the airport - on the right, just before the Ferney border post) before you reach the Swiss side. It might be worth picking them there - parking might well be easier on the French side.

If you use that route you will be at the airport without having been on any Swiss motorways. If you intend to use the motorway out to Bardonnex you can buy a vignette at the border post before heading under the runway. It will be a fair bit faster and easier onto the A41 down to Annecy if you have a vignette and use the motorway.

You then have yet another decision - take the N90 down Lake Annecy or the motorway via Chambery. Google maps says both routes take the same time but the motorway will cost more (petrol and tolls). As with the hotels, some people will tell you they would always take the motorway, others (including me) would drive down the lake - though I always take the easterly route. wink

On Easter Saturday there could be fewer hold ups on the motorway - though nothing is guaranteed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gilly28 - Good to hear you have booked your holiday. The lift pass deal sounds good snowHead

We tend to stop just south of Dijon on the outward journey to the Alps but are travelling from the South East. In your position I think I'd book somewhere in Troyes on the outward journey and Reims or slightly further north on the return.

I'd recommend using Via Michelin website for planning the journey. Probably most straightforward to take the Reims, Dijon, A39, Autoroute blanche route if going for the first time. The tolls stated on Via Michelin have been accurate for us.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gilly28, +1 for FraserP's tip about booking a room which can be cancelled on the day, we usually do this yet only had to cancel once (and that was because we found out late that we could actually get into our ski accomm the night before so we continued there). We normally use an Accor group hotel Ibis or Novotel and they can often be cancelled up to 4-6pm on the day of arrival and you would know by then whether you need it or not. With a bit of planning you can usually be fairly accurate about where you need to make your stop. Enjoy your hols snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gilly28 wrote:
Well after much researching, going back and forth we finally settled on Montchavin. Got a good price for an apartment there, there is a swimming pool in the residence (son will turn 6 on holiday so good for him), free lift pass for said son second week when he is 6, when buying two adult passes, hopefully a nice little town as described and access to higher areas for the snow should it start to melt lower down....

So now we need to plan the drive down. Going from Scotland, intend leaving 5am or thereabouts Good Friday and head straight to tunnel. On a flexi ticket so will get on 1st available train which is ideal, as we were having to give ourselves a few hours extra to get there incase we didn't leave at 5am (will prob be more like 6 I guess by the time we on the road no doubt) or if there were any traffic problems. Having to hang around for our slot if they didn't put us on an earlier one would have been very frustrating if we did arrive early, so flexi plus ideal.

We weren't intending booking any hotels in France in advance so that we are not restricted to having to stop at a certain place. Again would be frustrating if we picked somewhere more north and then felt we were fine to drive on, but again, having to force ourselves to drive on when we have had enough is even worse. My question on this is, is it advisable to not book or should we? Would really like to make it to at least Troyes. Re son, he's used to long drives and travelling, so he'll just sleep when he needs to, and watch DVDs play his tablet, try and read some books, when he isn't, so no worries there. He'll be let out to stretch his legs every so often! 2 drivers although husband will do most, again he's quite used to lots of driving. Would love to make Dijon, as we are picking friends up from Geneva airport and they arrive at 6.45 am Saturday, so would rather they are not hanging around too long.

I take it the best route is just using viamichelin? I've tried to put in Geneva airport, but can only get Geneva? ( haven't tried too hard though, I guess now I am writing this I should look up the airport post code?). We know we need to get a vignette, still to do that and also thinking about a toll doofer. Als someone mentioned a route - Jura? Would this eb worth a shot? how do i get in on viamichelin,Im clueless to where it is! What's the deal on sat navs with speed detectors? OH said he read even if it is turned off ( the speed detector thingy) you can still be fined? Does this mean we can't use ours?

Drove to outside Troyes summer 2011 so have the usual triangle, hi vis vests etc, and have a breathalyser, but will buy one of the disposable ones at the tunnel as not sure ours conforms to the French requirements.

Breaking the journey near Troyes seems a good call - Chaumont is in our opinion much nicer, nearer the highway and quite charming - we have stayed in a Best Western in the town centre which was fine.

I would also say that the route via the Jura is spectacular, but honestly tonking on down towards Lyon is a far better option. Just make sure you take the exit that takes you to the east of Lyon, past the airport. Its a easy run into Chambery and onward to Albertville and the tarentaise valley. Montchavin is a nice place and the road should be ok without snowtyres. Be sure to take a lunch at the Forepette mountain restaurant - best omlette savoyard in the tarentaise (we ski right across Les Arcs and La Plangne to have a lunch there). Hope this helps. Madeye-Smiley

Toyed with getting winter tyres, but due to cost and the fact we are heading at Easter and to a low resort we think we will just get chains this year, and practice practice practice before we go.

Anything else?

Thanks to everyone who has given me input on my other threads on the lead up to this!!

Gill
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilly28, I've done similar trips myself with our kids a few times when they were small. We are about 15 minutes from Glasgow airport so similar starting place.
It is now quite a few years since we last went so my experience may be a bit dated and we used ferries 'cos they were cheaper. But I found after getting round the M25 and travelling the length of England I was never too keen on driving miles in France and Rheims was a reasonable target. French roads particularly with an early set off were far more relaxing to travel on.
We found having a hotel waiting saved stress on finding one when we were a bit tired and grumpy.I think the book and potentially cancel option is a good one.
Is there any way 9your friends could get public transport to France if they are getting in early? Anywhereclose to the motorway system would save a detour for you, potentially buying a vignette and the hell of trying to meet someone on one of the busiest Saturdays at tte airport.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You then have yet another decision - take the N90 down Lake Annecy or the motorway via Chambery. Google maps says both routes take the same time but the motorway will cost more (petrol and tolls). As with the hotels, some people will tell you they would always take the motorway, others (including me) would drive down the lake - though I always take the easterly route.

Annecy on Good Friday?... good luck with that, it's a dreadful bottleneck and the traffic is horrendous at peak times. But the drive along the lake is lovely if it's daytime. Perhaps better on the way home?
ski holidays
Quote:

Annecy on Good Friday?... good luck with that, it's a dreadful bottleneck and the traffic is horrendous at peak times

It'll be Saturday - Good Friday will probably be much quieter! If you take the eastern shore you don't have to go through the centre of Annecy - it can still be a bottleneck, but the motorway gets hold ups too, especially at the péage gates, and it's 50 km longer. It's a toss up. If you want to drive along the eastern shore of the lake use Talloires as a waypoint on the GPS. Very little in it, time-wise or distance-wise but the eastern shore is quieter and prettier. It's not as if the other way is fast - it's 30 mph practically the whole length of the lake.

I don't think Easter Saturday is going to be anything like as bad as half term for traffic - most of the French have given up skiing by the end of March.

A lot depends on your personality. I prefer to go slowly through some towns and villages and see a bit of life, not stressing about hold ups, rather than bashing along the péage at 130 kph burning fuel and paying loads of tolls. But I know people who would choose to drive a lot further, because they are so unable to cope with sitting in traffic, even if they save no time and spend more on petrol. "I just prefer to keep moving", they say. It takes all sorts. wink
snow conditions
cstreat, chambres d'hotes do sound ideal, but we'll just want to get up in morning and head, hopefully early, so don't want to be tied, plus OH can't really stomach food first thing. Good to keep in mind though, perhaps for the way back.
Pam I'm with you on road maps/sat navs. I hate the things half the time as they take you the wrong way, where otherwise you would just follow the signposts! The lake way sounds as if it could be a good bet, are you actually driving along the side of the lake? Once we pick friends up, we're in no rush, apart from if we got them early, then perhaps to avoid the transfers going to the mountain, but if not, a leisurely drive with some nice scenery could be just the ticket!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy