Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Somewhere different avoiding Brits....

Poster: A snowHead
... I've just completed a season out in Canada.

However i'd like to get a spring session in somewhere in Europe.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that will be snowsure, and different from the normal destinations that most Brits flock too? I really don't want to go to France...but somewhere in Switzerland, Austria or Italy would be good.

Any suggestions, recommendations or experiences would be appreciated. Looking for something different...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spud, I rarely see any Brits in Ski Amadé in Austria other than the snowHead snowHead I know...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud, Cervinia.................... out of UK hols, go from 14th April onwards should be quiet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
theskibob wrote:
spud, Cervinia.................... out of UK hols, go from 14th April onwards should be quiet.

I could be wrong but I suspect you will find most resorts after 14th pretty devoid of Brits as most UK based TOs stop either 7th or 14th April. I had been booked to go out o St Anton with Esprit on the 14th but they decided to close that (and other resorts accommodations) a week early.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Luc , Switzerland in the Val Avenniers , good skiing and no Brits , also option of skiing in Grimentz and Zinal in the same valley .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Shhhhh!!!! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow sure, no Brits you say? Have you thought about Hampstead? Based on this years weather.

Le Devoluy, I know it France, but you will not see a Brit all season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megeve? wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Montafon?

edit: wait nope its shutting

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 5-04-13 14:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would suggest Obertaurn as it shuts late.... but I'm not sure how to spell it, so won't.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marmotte16 wrote:
Megeve? wink

haha
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ, Cervinia's season usually goes up to the second week in May.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, pretty close. just lacking an 'e'.

opens early too Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl, Solden, Cervinia, Zermatt.......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nassfeld. No Brits there - but not sure when it closes.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
... I could be wrong but I suspect you will find most resorts after 14th pretty devoid of Brits as most UK based TOs stop either 7th or 14th April. I had been booked to go out o St Anton with Esprit on the 14th but they decided to close that (and other resorts accommodations) a week early.

I find a good way to avoid Brits is to avoid anywhere that UK tour operators travel to. Just fly somewhere with snow, hire a car, and drive to the nearest resort. When you get bored move to the next one. Try to avoid anywhere you've heard of.

I was thinking of Austria for late-season this year. They have lots of concerts and stuff at the end of the season, and you can finally get non-smoking hotel rooms there. mean ones where no one else has smoked, not just ones where it's not compulsory for me to burn evil smelling things.

Snow-wise, it is what it is at the end of the season. Take lots of sun screen.

And then if you meet the odd Brit it's a pleasant surprise (so long as they're not vomiting outside your window at 03:00).
ski holidays
How long, what sort of.skiing?
snow report
spud, Arlberg......I'm going out there on 18th and don't reckon there'll be many Brits about, doing 3 days of touring basing ourselves in St Anton. Closes 21st, epic touring conditions at the moment, snow still great.
snow report
Just got back from Soelden in Austria, lots of Russians but no Brits
latest report
Ischgl has relatively few Brits compared with Germans, Dutch & Scandinavians, although the numbers have increased in recent years. Were you to base yourself in Samnaun (the Swiss duty free enclave in the Silvretta ski area that links to Ischgl), you are highly likely to hear any English spoken in the resort. (When we stayed there, the hotel staff spoke no English).
latest report
Megeve
snow report
Cheers for the replies everyone, very much appreciated and food for thought.

clarky999 wrote:

Thinking a week or two...depends on funds.

As for skiing... I'll take what's about. I'm not into backcountry stuff.

Although it's a break, I'm quiet happy to continue practicing drills and different tecniques for my level 3.
That'll definately mean finding some bumps...which i hate... but need practice in Sad

Steep pistes for short turn practice as well....so all good Razz
snow report
You could try Madonna di Campiglio in Italy. I just got back from a week there and only heard a single British accent all week. Masses of snow still there and an excellent network of snow cannons. We had approximately 50cm of fresh snow during the week and the previous week they had >1m.
ski holidays
Check the resort closing dates - I have a feeling they may close "early" in Madonna di Campiglio...certainly Folgarida/Marilleva appears to.
ski holidays
spud, Serfaus/Fiss is a good bet.

Big Area, All the best skiing is over 2000m, easy gondola access back to base if needed and in my recent week there I only my native tongue once (apart from when chuntering to myself) and they were from America.

Ischgl would also work but it's Katie Price to Fiss's Kate Middleton if you get my drift
snow report
I'm in Ski Amadé at the moment and I've only heard a few Brit voices out on the slopes. However, a lot of the areas close this weekend with a couple open for another week or two. Snow here is excellent still though.

We've just got back from a drive up to Obertauern tonight (just to have a look around) and as Frosty the Snowman, suggests could be a good shout. Loads of snow up there, the town is at a similar level to the highest peaks in Ski Amadé so all it should be in great nick too. It has one of the steepest slopes in Austria to try out those short turns on.
ski holidays
The majority of resorts in France and Austria probably see very few Brits.
Quote:

I find a good way to avoid Brits is to avoid anywhere that UK tour operators travel to.....try to avoid anywhere you've heard of.

This.
snow conditions
spud wrote:
Cheers for the replies everyone, very much appreciated and food for thought.

clarky999 wrote:

Thinking a week or two...depends on funds.

As for skiing... I'll take what's about. I'm not into backcountry stuff.

Although it's a break, I'm quiet happy to continue practicing drills and different tecniques for my level 3.
That'll definately mean finding some bumps...which i hate... but need practice in Sad

Steep pistes for short turn practice as well....so all good Razz

Ischgl would be a good bet, then. Does very well for end of season snow, and the vast majority of tourists even at busy times are German, Dutch or Russian.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want to avoid fellow Englishmen, Megeve also has my vote.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Megeve

but don't take a video camera
ski holidays
Ok, they're in France, but I rarely hear a British voice in Les Contamines or Pra de Lys/Sommand
snow report
Doubt there will be many Brits skiing anywhere in Austria after this week.

http://www.bergfex.at/obertauern/wetter/

http://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/

http://www.bergfex.at/moelltalergletscher/wetter/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy