Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomite superski area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

We have just booked 3 nights in Ortisei from the 24.03.13 - 27.03.13

I am an advanced snowboarder, i like all sorts of terrain, like to get off piste and ride powder but know there is not too much of that in europe...

Where are the best slopes to be found in the dolomites? How far can i go in a day and still make it back to ortisei? What are must do's whilst there?

Any hints and tips would be much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Must dos:

The Sella Ronda circuit, clockwise for a skier, I think it would be the same for a boarder. I expect there'll be one along shortly.
S. Croce, very picturesque, worth a visit.
Hidden Valley, too far from Ortisei and a bit flat for a boarder, I think.

For the off piste, you'll have to wait 'till someone who knows about it comes along.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hidden valley is anything but too flat for aboarder! The horse served section is the only bit to walk.its worth making the most of your tripvthere and do one of the runs back to the cable car first.

Sell ronda , hmm.. busy and not too challenging. (Cracking scenery)The marmolada is very nice but big queues can form at the cable car.

Cant advise on offpiste, it was a tad warm when we went last year.pordoi has a beacon testing station and there did look to be some good lines.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hashstar wrote:
, like to get off piste and ride powder but know there is not too much of that in europe... !

Really? Where has more off piste than Europe? Can't think of many places with more vertical or huge areas to explore. Your obviously not looking in the right places!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hashstar,
As a recent (three years ago) and now, fanatical convert to the Dolomites, I think I can see where you're coming from as a first timer.
When I first skied there, because of its unique and spectacular terrain, I thought the Dolomites was pretty tame with pretty much only pistes in use. Big, big mistake.
There didn't seem to be any sort of middle ground between that and what appeared to be extreme couloir skiing way beyond my ability. Second mistake.
It's a massive area with a huge variation in terrain but it's often not obvious how to access off-piste.
I would say get yourself a guide - www.altabadiaguides.com
Great people and of course, great food.
There'll be someone far more knowledgeable along in a minute but I think Arabba and Corvara are the off-piste "centres" although it's all around the region.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe the OP meant there isn't too much powder in Europe, as opposed to off piste. I guess that may be true compared to North America from what I have heard. As for off piste, again from what little I have heard, I understand that great chunks of the Dolomites are national parks and off limits. I guess it is, as you say, all down to where you go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am also considering Arabba for new year 2013.

I keep reading that off piste is discouraged or somewhat a grey area?

After years of skiing in France Switzerland and Austria where relatively easy lift accesed off piste is readily available am i making a mistake in giving this area a go?

The miles of intermediate pistes will suit the group but a couple of us will need a litle more excitement than this and this could be a deal breaker.

Anyone with local knowledge care to pass on their nuggets of wisdom. Very Happy

Also there seems to be 2 lifts out of Arabba namely the Burz lift where i have couple of good options on accomadation and the Europa 1 lift which goes up the other side.

How easy is it to get from the bottom of the Burz lift over to the bottom of the europa 1 ?as the aras dont seem to be linked at all other than at village level?

The piste maps i can find seem to only accomadate one resort at a time which is frustrating when trying to get a handle on the links from arabba into the other resorts of the superski area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a few minutes walk across the village between Burz and the Portovescovo/Marmolada side.

Piste maps are per village for a reason. The area is just too large to have everything in an easily readable form. The whole Sella Ronda is on the back of each paper map though. In reality, Arabba/Marmolada map and the Alta Badia map is enough for the entire Sella Ronda region (the Alta Badia map being handy because there are so many blue runs around San Cassiano that you can't work out what is up and what is down on the complete Sella Ronda side of the map).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hedley, as andy, says it's only a minute or two walk between the two lifts and you can usually get away with only taking your skis off to cross the road (or if it's recently snowed you can ski across the road). It really is no hassle to get between the two.

If you want a map of the whole region try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xta102bz3e11ue/DolomitiSuperski.jpg due to the size of the area there's not a lot of detail!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hidden valley is a must but make sure you do the black on the right hand side first and its a chance the horse tow won't be running that late in march.

For any kind of meaningful off piste you will definitely need a guide either up on the massif itself or off the Marmolada.

Hedley it doesn't matter a great deal where you stay in arabba most of the hotels have fantastic ski buses I would recommend hotel evaldo also heard good things of the hotel sport and if you don't like noise don't stay in chalet Karin.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vintageryan wrote:
Hidden valley is a must but make sure you do the black on the right hand side first and its a chance the horse tow won't be running that late in march.

For any kind of meaningful off piste you will definitely need a guide either up on the massif itself or off the Marmolada.

Hedley it doesn't matter a great deal where you stay in arabba most of the hotels have fantastic ski buses I would recommend hotel evaldo also heard good things of the hotel sport and if you don't like noise don't stay in chalet Karin.

Why is this ?

Is the terrain so gentle that off piste is limited unless you go up to the Glacier area ?

or

Do the dramatic rocky peaks just get in the way.? etc

Im trying to get a handle on how off piste access can differ from the alps?

Given a fresh dump of snow surely there must be opportunities?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info!

Just waiting for my flight now!

I should have made it clearer when talking about "not much off piste in Europe" I meant not much rideable off piste with powder and without rocks everywhere.

I was thinking about going with a guide as our hotel has them but I didn't want to get slowed down by a big group.

Does anyone know the best way to get from ortisei to the marmolada?

Any last minute recommendations?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hashstar wrote:

Any last minute recommendations?

Lunch at Scotonis half way down the 'Hidden Valley'

Have a brilliant trip
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"...Does anyone know the best way to get from ortisei to the marmolada? ...."

------------

It would be a long trip to the Marmolada from Ortisei. its is about half way around the Sella Ronda, so take the Ronda Orange or Green to Arabba, then branch off for Marmolda

------------
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy