Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guardian writer asks: "Who needs the Alps?"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/mar/08/france-skiing-pyrenees-affordable-holidays

I think there's a fairly simple answer to Gwyn Topham's question, but the really amusing thing about his article is that ...

Quote:
Flights and accommodation were provided by the Hautes Pyrenees tourist organisation (pyrenees-holiday.com), Ski Collection and Ryanair ...

... an airport transfer was clearly not part of the jolly!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Gwyn Topham is the Guardian and Observer's transport correspondent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/gwyntopham

So the next time somebody slags off Ryanair to you, don't take any notice of them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith, nothing new here... which travel journalists or newspapers actually pay for the trip themselves Puzzled How many broadsheet travel articles do you see that say 'don't bother, it's crap"...?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
miranda, some justification here though, since the Pyrenees are not crap, and they are in general less expensive and commercialied than the alps. So he's hardly lying.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, absolutely, the good old Guardian [originally The Manchester Guardian, born 1821] is - at least - telling us quite clearly that the flights and accommodation were sponsored. Magazines and papers generally skirt around the exact relationship, using weasel phrasing.

And I was probably being misleading in saying that the author asked the question in the heading - it was probably a sub-editor's.

But, in essence, this is a promotional heading and a promotional relationship and - no - the Pyrenees may need the Alps like they need a hole in the head!

We get the media/journalism we don't pay for. The Independent newspaper began its life in 1986 by famously not accepting travel freebies, but I'm not sure that this policy continues.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All forms of Journalism are biased by money or agenda
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
miranda, the Pyrenees are not crap

Absolutely not what I meant to imply!

But...

Very few travel articles are all expenses paid for by the newspapers.

Very few travel articles say a place is crap.

The Independent may or may not accept freebies directly, but I'm pretty certain they accept articles from freelance journalists who've wangled freebies from a PR themselves.

That's not to say all travel articles are lying at all - I really enjoy reading travel articles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
If some Alpine resorts can feel a bit like a production line of British visitors, from flights to chalets, with solid English spoken from boot hire to après-ski, this felt like a warmly welcoming, down-to-earth part of France.

Ah, so that's what it's all about. As ever, in this kind of article, for "the French Alps" read "the handful of mega-resorts which large numbers of package tourists frequent". It's like writing an article about high prices and boozed up lads in St Anton as though that was typical of Austrian resorts.

Lazy, really, but readers like to keep it simple. Black and white, no confusing shades of grey, thanks. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I once wrote an article saying that a particular trip was crap - got sent straight back for immediate rewrite Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:
If some Alpine resorts can feel a bit like a production line of British visitors, from flights to chalets, with solid English spoken from boot hire to après-ski, this felt like a warmly welcoming, down-to-earth part of France.

Ah, so that's what it's all about. As ever, in this kind of article, for "the French Alps" read "the handful of mega-resorts which large numbers of package tourists frequent". It's like writing an article about high prices and boozed up lads in St Anton as though that was typical of Austrian resorts.

Lazy, really, but readers like to keep it simple. Black and white, no confusing shades of grey, thanks. wink

Apparently you missed the word "some". You are criticizing a comment that, if anything, is understated. Some Alpine resorts can indeed feel much more than a bit like a production line of British visitors, they are a production line of British visitors. How many ski resorts in the French Alps can you find where 1% of the guests are British?

Last year, my cab driver (who lives in Bourg St. Maurice) from Bourg to Val D'Isere recommended that I try the Pyrenees and the reasons he gave were very similar to the ones given by the author of this article.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having been out in the Pyrenees this year when he was there it's pretty well spot on!

We did find the whole "Pyrenean experience" truly different to the Alps, I never knew the French could be so friendly, that really did take us by surprise on more than one occasion Smile

It was no where near as expensive as the Alps, and flying to Lourdes, it was so easy with getting to Bareges only taking an hour or so.

Great in the summer and also close to the sea.

However we were blessed with silly amounts of snow and I'm not too sure what a more normal season would be like, as I suspect powder days are few, sure they might get the snow volumes but I suspect might often wet n'heavy, that said touring is meant to be good, and again I would have thought it to be warmer than the Alps so less chance of overnight freezing and spring snow conditions, but then what do I know ?

Where I did feel good was that a few of the French guys we skied with and got to know in the bar all praised dear old Serre Chevalier as being similar in in some ways to ski resorts a la Pyrenees.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coming in as a n00b to this forum, I think the Guardian were spot-on about how good the Pyrenees can be.
Mind you, I've never had a problem finding small and friendly places in the French Alps either. Bellevaux, Notre-Dame de Belleville and Les Karellis are all places I'd recommend to anyone. Les Sybelles is well worth a look too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tony S, welcome to SHs. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Tony S, welcome to SHs. snowHead

Thanks! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy