Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La rosiere v Courcheval 1650

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are beginner skiers (have been once and got to ski a few blues in alpe dHuez). We are planning to go first week in April and can't decide between la rosiere and Courcheval 1650. I've been told these ate bothe good for beginners but very different. Obviously want somewhere that will have good snow at that time and hoping to still find a chalet that is ski back! Any advice?

Skiworld has chalet places in la rosiere les eucherts area, very simple chalet Marmotte and Choucas . Has anyone been this year? Or chalet Estrella on Courcheval ?
Thanks. I love to read about al your adventures!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're heading out there on the 16th so will try and update when we get back

We booked with Skiworld and are staying in the same chalet block
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welcome to Snowheads Ficklehead, snowHead
I'd say that the best place for you will be where you can get the best lessons, with guaranteed small groups. I know that's possible in Courchevel 1650 - don't know about La Rosiere. Either resort should be fine, in terms of the skiing.

we stayed in this chalet in courchevel 1650 on a last minute half price deal. http://www.leski.com/courchevel/chalets/chalet-rikiki Was excellent. Have stayed twice in La Rosiere, but with Ski Olympic, very good value but wasn't ski in/out and sometimes the buses were a bit of a pain.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, should add that we're going to La Rosiere.

Colleague at work went in April last year and said it was good there, snowed the week they went. From what I've read it seems like a good family resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given that choice, I'd pick Courchevel every time. Much better resort, and access to much better skiing, even as beginners.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Am planning a private coach for the four of us and will check tomorrow if someone is available.

How do I know ive got a good coach? There are good recommendations for schools at both resorts. Am worried that Courcheval pistes are really crowded as one of us is quite nervous.

Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ficklehead, I was in Courchevel at half term and the pistes were fine then and virtually no queues apart for the main gondola first thing in the morning - I think you will be fine at Easter. I strongly recommend New Gen. They have schools in both 1650 and 1850. I used them at half term and the lessons were excellent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds perfect. Will start ringing tomorrow. Thanks so much everyone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Much better resort

FWIW I don't think there can be any universally applicable criteria by which one resort, or one country, is "better". It depends what you want. For me, Courchevel 1650 is "better" than Val D'Isere, in that it's what I'd choose if given that choice. But it certainly is not my "favourite" resort. It's like saying that a hotel in Madeira is "better" than camping in Scotland or that an apple is "better" than a pear.

It depends what you want, and what you like. I wouldn't choose the 3 Valleys if uncrowded pistes were a key factor, though Courchevel 1650 is a good choice within the 3 Valleys - and Meribel possibly the worst, on that criterion.

If you go to Courchevel I 100% agree that New Gen would be a great choice of ski school.

No ski resort has everything - you just have to decide what is, and is not, important for you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have been to La Ros several times as a family. Am also going there first week of April. Snow cover looking good this year. Not skied Courcheval so can't compare resorts for you but I do know that Rosière should tick your boxes. Never really known a queue there for lifts, decent amount of skiing at your level which should also mean you can get over to Italy (Rosière linked to La Thuile on same lift pass).

There are quite a few ski in / out chalets located piste side at the lower end of the slopes. Les Eucherts has developed over the years and you can ski quite easily to either end of the resort via a lift or two. Bus isnt needed unless further out of town. There is a very pleasant forest path you can walk in about 10 mins linking the two ends of resort.

While ESF have many critics, I found the ones in La Rosière to be very good. Most are locals having grown up there and many members of the their extended families are instructors so a very familiar vibe. Of course there are other ski schools which I have heard are very good as well. Maybe La Rosière is cheaper for lift passes and other incidental expenses
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Rosiere is a fabulous resort I would recommend all the time. But not for first week in April.

The problem is that the main slopes in La Rosiere get too much sun and are likely to be slushy lower down. There is always the occasional year when weather conditions are just right, so you might be lucky this year. The other option is to go over to La Thuile every day where you will get decent conditions when La Rosiere is slushy, but that's too much of a trek for beginners each day.

For early April I would pick Couchevel every time. I know it's too late for you this year but earlier in the season La Rosiere would have a great choice for a beginners group.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For early April I'd favour Courchevel 1650. The immediate area would suit your skiing needs and the easier slopes above Courchevel 1850 are also accessible. If I ended up in La Ros with reasonable snow cover I wouldn't be at all disappointed. I've no direct experience of New Gen ski school but have noted many snowhead recommendations for them. We'll be in Courch 1650 from 24 March and may well try New Gen then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Much better resort

FWIW I don't think there can be any universally applicable criteria by which one resort, or one country, is "better". It depends what you want. For me, Courchevel 1650 is "better" than Val D'Isere, in that it's what I'd choose if given that choice. But it certainly is not my "favourite" resort. It's like saying that a hotel in Madeira is "better" than camping in Scotland or that an apple is "better" than a pear.

It depends what you want, and what you like. I wouldn't choose the 3 Valleys if uncrowded pistes were a key factor, though Courchevel 1650 is a good choice within the 3 Valleys - and Meribel possibly the worst, on that criterion.

If you go to Courchevel I 100% agree that New Gen would be a great choice of ski school.

No ski resort has everything - you just have to decide what is, and is not, important for you.

Purely an opinion.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Purely an opinion

Puzzled Of course. My point was precisely that statements about which resorts are "better" are purely matters of opinion and depend on your ranking of criteria. If you'd said "In my opinion Courchevel is a much better resort" or "I much prefer Courchevel" I'd not have challenged it. Which ski resort is better for whom depends on their priorities. Les Saisies suits me much better than Courchevel, but that's not to say it's better - just different. It scores on some criteria (lack of crowds, prices, lack of package tourists) but Courchevel certainly has more runs and a great many more top class restaurants. We had just had a week in Courchevel 1650 when, by chance, we stumbled upon les Saisies and the advertisements for new apartments. We found snow better than the 3 Valleys, coffees at half the price, unpretentious and friendly people, empty slopes. But it definitely wouldn't suit everybody. I dislike Meribel; some people think it's heaven on earth.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy