Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding: how bad is the slide?

Poster: A snowHead
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I thought the big upside of boarding was that it was easier to pick up more quickly??

I've heard both, some say snowboard is easier because you only have one plank to worry about, some say ski is easier because you have two legs to balance on.

I think ski is easier but I'm a skier, so not really objective.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The first two days of snowboarding are genuinely horrible.

Trip I was on a couple of weeks ago there were 16 newbies. They universally expressed surprise that it was so awful, so much falling etc etc. The people who hated it least seemed to be those who could already ski, so sliding down a hill on a piece of wood wasn't totally new to them.

Skiing seems* to involve a lot less falling over as you are learning, so even if you are learning at the same speed as a snowboarder, you are in less pain, and spend way less time on your bum.

*From what other people say.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or there are PLENTY downsides to snowboarding:

- unstapping then strapping back up before and after uplift

- maintaining speed on flats

- 'the blind side' ie not seeing people who are on your back-side (no pun intended)

but for me it all boils down to one positive:

- less likely to twist knees.

i doubt i will ever ski again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

unstapping then strapping back up before and after uplift

I really don't get why this is such a big deal. Puzzled

Flip two clips to get foot out. Shove foot back in and do up ratchet. Takes about three minutes in total.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zanarchist wrote:

Skiing seems* to involve a lot less falling over as you are learning ...

*From what other people say.

That's the simple bald truth, actually. It involves less falling - in fact it can be virtually eliminated from the learning process, if the instruction is staged cleverly enough to build skills to anticipate the aspects that cause people to fall. The process of learning to turn a snowboard across the fall-line inevitably involves more disruption of balance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Flip two clips to get foot out. Shove foot back in and do up ratchet. Takes about three minutes in total.

That's quite true. I've also noticed that some of the new cool kids (skiers) unclip their boots before they get on the lift, then clip back up when they get off........
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I've also noticed that some of the new cool kids (skiers) unclip their boots before they get on the lift, then clip back up when they get off........

How singularly pointless.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I've also noticed that some of the new cool kids (skiers) unclip their boots before they get on the lift, then clip back up when they get off........

Could be for comfort, tight boots give good control but is really uncomfortable especially dangling on the lift, I have been tempted to do it but haven't done it yet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I sometimes wonder if you actually work in a ski resort. This is so common it's barely worth commenting on. Particularly early in the day while their feet are still getting used to the fit lots of people unclip their boots for respite on the lifts. Guess it didn't happen in sloppy old rear entries mind.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm old and uncool but do this all the time. Usually just lifting the clip over the instep.

fatbob wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I sometimes wonder if you actually work in a ski resort. This is so common it's barely worth commenting on. Particularly early in the day while their feet are still getting used to the fit lots of people unclip their boots for respite on the lifts. Guess it didn't happen in sloppy old rear entries mind.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard,
Quote:

Quote:

I get it. You are a good snowboarder with good equipment. Spare a thought for those who are a bit shitter than you and on shitty rental gear yeah? For me, no probs, takes me hardly any time to clip and and out, can do it while standing, scooting, gliding, whatever.

For my less experienced friends it involves sitting down, even on the flat, and mucking about with a poo-poo hire binding doing one rachet at a time (oh god, the time this takes!) and having to fiddle to get them to stick. I can 100% guarentee that they find clipping in and out a pain.

Skola,
Quote:

but for me it all boils down to one positive:

- less likely to twist knees.

This is a major plus for me too, having seen my brother go out with ACL. No thanks Sad

Quote:

Skiing seems* to involve a lot less falling over as you are learning, so even if you are learning at the same speed as a snowboarder, you are in less pain, and spend way less time on your bum.

Learning to ski defo involves less falling over! Based on my own experience and that of other friends who tried to learn to snowboard a few years ago and gave up and learnt to ski on subsequent trips.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A news story from Red Bull ...

"World Snowboard Championships head to China 2016"

http://www.redbull.com/en/snowboarding/stories/1331583347849/world-snowboard-championships-head-to-china-2016

... surprisingly refers to [final sentence] ...

Quote:
... the current woes of the snowboard market ...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have 2 sons who snowboarded. Now they're independent, they can't afford to go. I would guess that is quite common for that age group. Also, the boarders with small kids find it easier to aid them when they first start by skiing instead. (There was a thread about this somewhere.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, that's a good point I had not considered. The recession would hit that segment of the market very, very hard. That too would explain some of the down trend in snowboard sales, since they can't go - no new board. And if they can scrape together the finances - old board/gear will do. Interesting
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whatever woes and downturn there may be ... the scale of the snowboard industry's presence in Munich at ISPO was astounding ...

http://youtube.com/v/RmvugqNjXEU

Does not (quite) contain nudity:

http://youtube.com/v/2yMtx_RIj0A

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 12-03-13 17:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

The only reason I was commenting on it is because people are citing the unclip/clip up time as a 'major drawback' for snowboarding. I'm just saying skiers do it too and what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander too.......
snow conditions
Quote:

For my less experienced friends it involves sitting down, even on the flat

Why don't you show them how to do it standing up then? ou don't have to be any sort of a good boarder to master that one in an afternoon.
ski holidays
There has been a marked decline in snowboards sales for all manufactures over the past 3-5 years, and based purely on hearsay from the small number of board instructors I know working in the Alps they are seeing a drop in their numbers year on year and an increase in their age profile.

Thad changes in Ski tech and the move to side country skiing is starting to hurt the snowboarding industry BUT!!!! The recent films like the Art of Flight may help make it cool again and bring back a younger segment to the market here is hoping anyway.

Next time anyone wants to do a % boarders V skiers on the hill it is pointless without doing an age comparison
snow report
Quote:

Next time anyone wants to do a % boarders V skiers on the hill it is pointless without doing an age comparison

I tend to do my surveys while sitting on a lift and count all the skiers and boarders, coming down the hill. It is a bit difficult to assess their ages. The age profile is irrelevant if all you want to know is if there are more or less than they were last year.
ski holidays
It's droping massively, on the brightside, those left are mountain savey, experienced and over 25, the kids are digging skiing.
snow report
Snowboarding comedian Marcus Brigstocke tries a bit of snowboarder deprecation at the Altitude Comedy Festival in Mayrhofen ...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/europe-short-haul/snow-joke-comedy-stars-great-1756977

It seems the report is from 2012 - this year's Altitude is this weekend ...

http://www.altitudefestival.com

In the meantime, any ironing-board or tea-tray gags welcome.
snow report
Lizzard,
Quote:

Quote:

For my less experienced friends it involves sitting down, even on the flat

Why don't you show them how to do it standing up then? ou don't have to be any sort of a good boarder to master that one in an afternoon.

Becasue it help massivley if you aren't exhausted after a long inneficient and ungainly scoot, in pain from a fall earlier in the day (and the day before, and the day before that) and as I already said you have bingings that are easy to do up.

Why should everyone find things as easy as you so clearly do so?
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, m8 - if they have to resort to that to flog 'boards then you know they have a recession. Other than to keep the girls 'hot' I am unsure what the flames were for, it's a snow sport, ffs.

Quote:

There has been a marked decline in snowboards sales for all manufactures over the past 3-5 years, and based purely on hearsay from the small number of board instructors I know working in the Alps they are seeing a drop in their numbers year on year and an increase in their age profile.

I think that is the data for the point I was making above - it's no longer 'kool'. That's not to say that it is not an equally valid sport in comparison with skiing ... as long as you keep it in specified areas preferably in a limited number of low lying resorts in Spain and Bulgaria. I mean, let's not get silly about this, just because they are 'equal' doesn't mean we have to share the slopes with them. There's a limit. Really. rolling eyes
latest report
kat.ryb, if I find it easy that's because it's pretty easy. I'm hardly some kind of snowboarding superhero.

No idea about the rental bindings though, have to say.
latest report
Most of the defence of drawbacks of snowboarding that have been cited as possible reasons why it might be declining in popularity in this thread seem to contradict observations of the behaviour of most joe bloggs snowboarders on the slopes
ski holidays
When I initially learnt to board 10 years ago in a resort, I was in a small group of 4 girls on a 5 day course where the other 3 were already good at the dark art of skiing. In January, when I started again, I was in a larger group in Milton Keynes where nobody could ski. For me, that demonstrates how boarding has changed. 10 years ago it was a minority thing, now it's just a different way of getting around a mountain.

Personally I learnt to board because I'm not coordinated enough to look after 2 planks, the boots were more comfortable and there seemed less chance of breaking something. I'm not doing it to rebel now - I'm 30 years old, FFS, my idea of rebelling now is not having a pension - but I'm doing it because I love being on a mountain and that's the easiest way of being there. If I was starting now I'd still not ski for the same reasons I didn't 10 years ago.

To me now, you can now express yourself through the skis you buy and the clothes you wear and the things you can do on them. That's the biggest difference between the two back 10-15 years ago, there's more creativity in skiing and that's whats making it more open to the kids who are deciding what to learn.
latest report
An interesting analysis of the state-of-snowboarding, by Dave Belin of liftopia.com:

http://www.liftopia.com/blog/snowboarding-stall/

Quote:
The estimated number of snowboarders in the US has leveled off at about 2.5 million. This figure had been growing steadily during the 1990s and into the mid-2000s, but hit a plateau in the 2007/08 season.

Quote:
Snowboarding is more male-dominated than skiing, especially when you look at upper ability levels. First timers/beginner snowboarders show about a 50-50 gender split, but as ability levels increase, women progressively contribute a smaller share to the snowboarder population. At the advanced/ expert ability level, 80% of snowboarders are male – clearly showing that women drop out or just don’t reach the higher levels of proficiency that are an important marker of sustained participation in snowsports.
ski holidays
call me dave, do you have a pension?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolutely not. Those are for skiers Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

The age profile is irrelevant if all you want to know is if there are more or less than they were last year

It is quite relevant to the discussion if only people over say 15 are boarding it shows a marked decline to come in the numbers over the next say 20 years.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, so according to the linked article the number of snowboarders isn't falling, but has plateaued.
latest report
With regards dropping gear sales for snowboarding, is the situation any different for skiing? It seems from home at any rate that mountain sports retail and hardware manufactures are finding times increasingly difficult, in difficult economic times people are spending what money they have on using the equipment they've already got, rather than splashing out on the latest toys. Retailers seem to be feeling the pinch, but the 5 year rolling skier day average for CairnGorm Mountain has climbed every year for six years.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Quote:
Snowboarding is more male-dominated than skiing, especially when you look at upper ability levels. First timers/beginner snowboarders show about a 50-50 gender split, but as ability levels increase, women progressively contribute a smaller share to the snowboarder population. At the advanced/ expert ability level, 80% of snowboarders are male – clearly showing that women drop out or just don’t reach the higher levels of proficiency that are an important marker of sustained participation in snowsports.

I'd be interested to know how this varies from skiing though - I'd expect some drop off in women vs men as ability levels increase in skiing as well (I could be wrong?). The phrasing above would suggest that skiing keeps a 50/50 split the whole way through, which from my random people watching I would disagree with. Can anyone point me to any relevant research?
snow report
fixx, A less-than-scientific but simple check would be to see what Snowheads gender demographic is.
snow report
Richard_Sideways, far too many confounding variables there, pointless exercise.
snow conditions
Lizzard, we spend thousands to climb mountains just to slide down them again. We are the kings and queens of pointless exercise.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, +1 Very Happy
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I dont consider it a big deal

was just listing peoples main gripes to contrast with the deal breaker for me being reduced risk of knee injury
snowHead
ski holidays
"Two Snowboard Marketing Lines That Need To Die"

"Jed" attacks the clichés ...

http://snomie.com/2-snowboard-marketing-lines-die/

Quote:
However, I hate seeing snowboard companies market ‘Made in USA’ implying that it means their product is automatically high quality because it was made in the USA.

Well, America created the industry. Maybe somebody should remind "Jed" of that fact-nugget.
latest report
Elan's substantial snowboard factory in Austria has filed for bankruptcy ...

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2013/03/21/elan-snowboard-plant-files-for-bankruptcy/

Quote:
... its doors opened in 1987, making it the largest snowboard manufacturing plant in the world. Its contract customers have included Academy, Allian, Amplid, Arbor, Bataleon, Capita, Dinosaurs Will Die, Lobster, Nitro and Rome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy