Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding: how bad is the slide?

Poster: A snowHead
There's no doubt now that the snowboarding market - about 30 years young - the first serious equipment appeared in the late 1970s but the market didn't really gain traction until the mid-late 1980s (advent of steel edges, quality boots and bindings) - is wobbling. At the recent ISPO global sports trade fair in Munich - the key launchpad for 2013-4 hardware - snowboarding had a massive presence in terms of stand-space and footfall, but the fear was a sharp decline in orders. Slopes not far from Munich - the major accessible ski areas of Austria - are seeing a significant decline in snowboarder numbers. There's more than a murmur that snowboarding is not doing the business any more.

Recent media reports in the US prove statistical evidence of a decline, measured over recent years ...

http://www.rocklintoday.com/news/templates/golf_and_ski.asp?articleid=11435&zoneid=89
http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/travel/has-snowboarding-lost-its-edge.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

Quote:
According to the National Ski Association, more than 42 percent of all beginners age 14-and-under started on a snowboard in 2003-04. Last year, that number had dwindled to 34 percent.

Quote:
Skiing has appropriated everything from snowboarding’s swagger to its trendy clothing to technology like fat skis. Simply put, it’s cool to be on two planks again.

Quote:
Ten to 15 years ago and beyond, terrain parks were looked at as just for snowboarders. Now with Twin Tip skis, the sport has progressed to the point where now even X-Games and the Olympics have embraced freestyle skiing.

At ISPO, there was a focus on splitboards - boards which can be split in two for walking and climbing. A new Austrian deck - Splitsticks - won a prestigious innovation award at the show ...

http://splitsticks.com

And K2 are doing a lot of work in this field ...

http://youtube.com/v/Z8pp5YLJhVw

... but whether that type of solution can really edge skiing out (in a market where such a high use of ski lifts is made) is another question.

Can snowboarding win back the teens/20s market ... or is it on a long-term wobbly?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comedy Goldsmith, it's a bit like the Conservative vote being split into Conservative / UKIP. The snowboard dudes are still out there just that some of them have discovered two planks can be better than one some of the time. Grooming must be having an impact (and I don't mean brushing hair and nose hair tweezering)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was chatting to some local youfs in Zell am See a couple of weeks ago, enthused about modern ski technology being so good that some of the original benefits to snowboarding over skiing have diminished.

Snowboarding does have a bit of an image problem. It was so fashionable for a period, and that simply can't always be sustained. I think the NYT article hints at that (maybe more than hints - I read it a week or so ago and don't recall the exact details). Skiing maybe was never so achingly too cool for school that it doesn't suffer in the same way.

Whilst it seems that ski technology improvements genuinely has been game changing, snowboarding has tarted around with technology over a recent years but without really taking things forward. Boards were cambered, then rocker, hybrid camber/rocker, flatline profiles, and seemingly now realising that camber is still where its at after all there are more camber boards on the market again than in the last few (4-5?) years.

That's just trivia for the marketing teams to get their heads around. If you're going to strive to be cool, you've got to accept you won't always be so.

Ageing snowboarders like myself - officially mid-30's Shocked - probably will be doing our fare share of harm to the cool image
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

officially mid-30's

I'll raise that to late 50's wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mid 40s in my case, but know what you mean, I was practicing at MK a few weeks back and saw a yoof with the same jacket as mine. I bet he returned to the shop that afternoon Little Angel Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Quote:
According to the National Ski Association, more than 42 percent of all beginners age 14-and-under started on a snowboard in 2003-04. Last year, that number had dwindled to 34 percent.

At least it is standing up in the states. in europe I put this at about 3.4% I suppose it is just fashion. Snowboarding built its reputation on the trendy clothing and the brand labels worn by their participants. The dedication to labels and fashion is a rather fickle. The dedicated ones who enjoy the actual love of moving gracefully on soft snow will continue; the rest will drift into the next fashionable activity.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but as far as 'yoofs' are concerned, you're invisible. Grandad. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here in the UK snowboarding is still pretty big. Up at Glencoe and even Yad Moss its often pushing 40%. There also seem to be a lot more Telemarkers in the UK than the alps. In Austria three weeks ago I saw only 3 other TMs during the week.

Perhaps in Britain we're just not as conservative (or UKIP) as our continental cousins. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To echo what Peter says, from a quick count up from the photos I put on Winterhighland from last Sunday on CairnGorm Mountain, we get:

56% Snowboarding
44% Skiing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Perhaps in Britain we're just not as conservative (or UKIP) as our continental cousins.

Do you not mean more conservative?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be honest, this doesn't really worry me. The huge and rapid growth of snowboarding could never be sustained indefinitely and at some point a decline had to come. Things move in cycles - skateboarding has boomed and crashed at least 3 times, but always stays around. Snowboarding will be the same - in a few years, the current generation of cool-kid skiers will be the ones with kids in tow and all of a sudden they won't be so cool anymore and things will turn around again.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd not really noticed a reduction in numbers boarding, but perhaps I'm not that observant. If there is a decline is it because of a reduction in the number of people taking up boarding compared to skiing, or are boarders quitting the sport in larger numbers than skiers?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Doesn't seem to be much reduction in numbers here. Balance was about 50:50 in Whistler in Nov/Dec.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Boris, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but as far as 'yoofs' are concerned, you're invisible. Grandad. Laughing

As ever succinct and right.

Old people are invisible to the youths.

As to snowboarding seems to be easy on the knees so oldies are doing it, think they look cool and make it uncool.

Not many snow sports participants are actually cool.

All a bit middle age and middle class.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
I'd not really noticed a reduction in numbers boarding, but perhaps I'm not that observant. If there is a decline is it because of a reduction in the number of people taking up boarding compared to skiing, or are boarders quitting the sport in larger numbers than skiers?

Is that every where? I really noticed the lack of borders in Les Arc, but less so in the three valleys.
snow report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Is that every where? I really noticed the lack of borders in Les Arc, but less so in the three valleys.
Only place I noticed a difference in the proportion of boarders this year was in Niseko in Japan, where there were a bit more than I'm used to seeing compared to Euro resorts. Didn't notice any difference in Les Arcs, 3V, Tignes, PDS this season.
ski holidays
Having recently spent 18 days in Canada, at five different areas, snowboarding is definitely not on the decline, at least as many boarders as skiers at some hills. Plenty of beginners, too.

I'm guessing this might be mainly more of an Alpine thing. So the world, to some.
latest report
I think a lot of people get hacked off with it especially if their friends ski: harder to ride lifts, strap in each time, a pain on the flats, uncomfortable to stand and most people board/ski piste and the tray isn't a good hard snow/ice/hardpack tool.
ski holidays
My daughter is working her 2nd year in VT. When she went out she vowed to improve her boarding instead of spending all season on skis. She's not been on a board all season. When I asked her why she said "Everyone is skiing now" The vast majority of her co-workers are on fat twin tips.
When I was skiing with her and her posse it must have been at least 80% on skis.

(OK, this is only one Alpine resort)
snow conditions
World's first snowboard - the Snurfer - invented Michigan 1965

World's first ski - invented by Norwegian cave painter, 2000BC

Skiing's just old hat, so I can't see why boarding can't take over with a bit more intelligent thought (rather than the usual knuckle-dragging).
latest report
Quote:

I think a lot of people get hacked off with it especially if their friends ski: harder to ride lifts, strap in each time, a pain on the flats, uncomfortable to stand and most people board/ski piste and the tray isn't a good hard snow/ice/hardpack tool.

None of these things are true. Except the strapping in one.

Comedy Goldsmith, plenty of "snowboards" around long, long before 1965. Not quite as far back as skiing, I will concede.
snow conditions
having been hit (again) by a snowboarder today who apologised with the " sorry lost an edge dude" line I really can't wait for it to die out.

I didn't think this way a while back and was very much of the whatever floats your boat camp, but a few things have changed that:

- skied with an intermediate snowboarder and it was quite painful - off the lifts do up the bindings, flats, sigh...
- Keep getting hit by snowboarders this year. Yes they could be crap skiers too, but I've "really liked" seeing a great tray coming towards me when predictably they've lost it on any sort of marginal surface.
- When skiing with my son, it really is snowboarders who are the thing to watch out for - sorry but it is. They need to keep speed up to avoid walking but this means a lot do so recklessly. Also the stance means they are not really looking where they are going half the time and a small skier just gets missed.
- I really am getting annoyed sking down slopes looking straight into the eyes of a boarder spinning around on a cat-track

Sorry to the good boarders out there.
ski holidays
Quote:

This. Not even the strapping in thing either, once you realise you don't have to sit down.

stuarth, the last three people to run me down have been on skis. Everything which tried to kill me over the peak season holiday was on skis as well - most of them were trying to supervise children when thay could barely ski themselves, sodding families on piste are a bloody menace. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:

They need to keep speed up to avoid walking but this means a lot do so recklessly. Also the stance means they are not really looking where they are going

Sorry but that made me laugh out loud. I have lost count of the number of times I've nealy been mown down over the past two weeks by utter retards with their fat @rses stuck in the air, sticks under their armpits and heads between their knees because they don't want to pole along the flat at La Fee. It's got to the stage where I won't do that run in high season/at certain times of day. And for your information, I start off slower and in more control than they do and still pass them half way along the track.
ski holidays
I have a strong feeling of Deja Lit here Toofy Grin

Wasn't this discussed just a few days ago and someone gave the absolutely obvious (which I hadn't thought of!) answer as to why snowboarding is dying out.

Youfs are on skis not snowboards now, because........ Their parents are on snowboards. simples. Madeye-Smiley

And I concur with sequoiaboard, I was in 3V at the end of january and snowboards were noticably reduced.
snow report
[quote="stevomcd"]
Quote:
... plenty of "snowboards" around long, long before 1965 ...

But I'm virtually certain (have never seen this challenged) that the Snurfer was the first snowboard ever manufactured for conventional commercial sale. So any 'pre-history' before 1965 is a bit sketchy, probably with numerous inventors turning out protoypes but maybe nothing manufactured.

It's after the Snurfer that things get a little more complex - Sims v Winterstick v Burton. It was the Winterstick (which started to get noticed around 1976-7) that first grabbed my attention as a serious piece of hands-free (as distinct from the Snurfer) kit.
ski holidays
VT being more skiers than snowboarders has had a few mentions, and its probably worth pointing out that each resort/ski area will have its own natural split, probably influenced by the terrain, typical snow conditions, off-piste options and parks.

Take the 3Vs for example. VT has some weird policies with their snow parks and seem to want to charge lift pass holders an extra fee to use the parks. Much better parks are available in Meribel with no additional fees, so it would be natural for snowboarders interested in hitting some kickers to stay away from VT and ride other parts of the 3V lift system.

(Of course this applies equally to skiers - as parks aren't the exclusive domain of snowboarders, but may have an influence)

On my last trip, whilst staying in Zell am See, I rode the local mountain (Schmittenhoe), Kitzsteinhorn, and Saalbach-Hinterglem. All 3 areas had their own mix of skiers vs. snowboarders. Saalbach - which has a good circuit you can complete in a day was popular with mile hungry skiers, whilst Kitzsteinhorn - with great parks and marked freeride zones - was very popular with snowboarders (pushing close to 50%) - and Schmitten somewhere between the two it seemed.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Comedy Goldsmith, plenty of "snowboards" around long, long before 1965. Not quite as far back as skiing, I will concede.

True or not these are reasons I have heard cited by people who have ditched the tray for skis.
latest report
Too many people snowboard now, and you know when older people gets involved it's no longer cool. Laughing

Although at local hill (close to urban center so lots of beginners) I see tons of boarders, majority teens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you'll find that it's not a question of "older people gets involved" [sic]. "Older people" like me *started* the sport.

Most of us don't snowboard because you think it's cool. I choose to ride because for most of my riding the snowboard's more challenging and more fun.
latest report
Adam123 wrote:

Take the 3Vs for example. VT has some weird policies with their snow parks and seem to want to charge lift pass holders an extra fee to use the parks. Much better parks are available in Meribel with no additional fees, so it would be natural for snowboarders interested in hitting some kickers to stay away from VT and ride other parts of the 3V lift system.

(Of course this applies equally to skiers - as parks aren't the exclusive domain of snowboarders, but may have an influence)

Have Val Thorens started to charge for the snowpark this year?
snow conditions
If I was in the position of a total beginner wanting to learn to ski or snowbaord now, with the intention of only ever doing 1 week a year then I would defo ski. WAY easier to pick up and in a few short days you are cruising the blues and easy reds with decent style and speed, barely ever falling over. Contrast that to snowboarding where as a beginner it is a nightmare; constantly falling, hard. Constantly strapping in and out. Walking the flats or ungainly scooting. Having trouble on narrow runs as you need room to turn and can't just chuck in a snowplow to slow you down.

As it is, I love snowboarding off piste and enjoy the movement of it. I don't have ot sit down to stap in, I can ride one foot realativly well so will just keep one foot straped in and push where required if there is a loong crap flat with a few bits of downhill.

I wouldn't change back to skiing now, as to get to the skiing level where I can ride off piste as well as I can on a board I would be looking at a very lengthy process. But if you are just interested in being a blue run hero on hardpack then I really se no reason to board.
snow conditions
I hate to break it to the guys above who 'board but the reason for decline is .... you.

Snowboards took off as a sort of protest against skiing. 14 year old boys could go on the family holiday but not have to traipse around with the parents all day and hang with other equally cool kids. Most important - you could be better than your dad at it in a season. For 14 year old boys now, people older than their father are there and doing it better (after 25 years of practice) and therefore it is most def not cool anymore since all the cool bits have been usurped by crumblies.

No amount of kit progression is going to unwind the fact that snowboarding is now mainstream and therefore something your old man would - and possibly has - tried.

It's over, suck it up and move back to the true winter focused progressive tool - ski's. Face it - skiiers rock!

And, Admin, please take this post to the backwater thread on the Forum that was set up to host this type of marginal stuff. Very Happy
snow report
This 'it's not cool because your Dad does it' argument has a big hole in it. The majority of parents out there are skiers, so if kiddies take up one sport or the other purely to irritate the olds you'd still expect to see more teen boarders than skiers.

Quote:

skiiers rock!

Pity they can't spell as well. rolling eyes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-03-13 16:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
...so what we're saying here is that snowboarding has reached a level of equilibrium - where all the have-a-go heroes, piste poseurs, fashionistas and one hit wonders are quitting and returning to their more natural, 2-plank state...

The future seems brighter. Toofy Grin
snow report
philwig wrote:
I think you'll find that it's not a question of "older people gets involved" [sic]. "Older people" like me *started* the sport.

Most of us don't snowboard because you think it's cool. I choose to ride because for most of my riding the snowboard's more challenging and more fun.

You may not, but teenagers do.
ski holidays
Lizzard, yeah, isn't it?

Quote:

'it's not coo because your Dad does it'

is your Dad a pigeon?? rolling eyes And you are missing the point, that fact that there is nothing now that your 'Dad' does not do means that you might as well stick to the better option and trick the park up on skis.

jzmtl, what you said. Also I would query 'challenging' - I thought the big upside of boarding was that it was easier to pick up more quickly?? And the fact that the stated sub-groups are returning to skiing - judging by the clothing, you still have them all. Razz Actually that was the one upside from boarding all the have-a-go heroes, piste poseurs, fashionistas and one hit wonders immediately pounced on it as JUST what they were looking for all along. Says something .....

Richard_Sideways, m8, you can join the monoboarders with the beards and one piece suits trundling along solo - come to think of it, that's the natural progression!
snow report
flowa wrote:

Have Val Thorens started to charge for the snowpark this year?

They were in December when I was last there. And that was just for a small kicker line alongside the Retours carpet
snow report
Ooh, decrying fashionistas and then immediately go into a sarky comment about the way people look and dress.
You're right about one thing Ratty, skiers do seem to be able turn about quicker than snowboarders...
ski holidays
Clearly this has just turned into the usual utterly f-ing tedious 'ooh, boarding is so rubbish, skiing is much better, no it isn't' claptrap.

What is it about middle aged skiers that makes them so insecure in their own choices that they have to get all tribal about the way they slide down hills on bits of plastic during their holidays? Freaks. Laughing
ski holidays
tbh I could care less - it's just fun poking 'boarders and seeing the reaction.

Neither's better than the other, they are different sports that occupy the same mountain space with a number of others. If you get a kick out of any of them, more power to you.

Being serious for a second, I do think there is some mileage in the 'it isn't cool any more' argument. Look at skateboarding and in-line skating, especially the latter. They are both way off the highs at which they once stood and have now settled into a minor sports slot with a few die hard adherents. They may resurge again (still waiting for the hula hoop to sustian that leap) but I would not hold your breath.

The reality is that the initial surge was ‘cool’ driven and that is now gone. The sport will settle back into reduced participant numbers and will be none the worse for it. A few marginal snowboard manufacturers will decide that the space no longer justifies their participation and the remainder will consolidate. I think that those coming into snow based sports may very well choose to learn both skiing and snowboarding and ‘major’ in the one that suits them physically and the environment they are usually based.

But face it guys, there is a time when you are just too old to skateboard e.g. too sad to see a forty year old on a plank of wood with wheels. I am not saying that snowboarding is necessarily the same but ....

Richard_Sideways,

Quote:

decrying fashionistas and then immediately go into a sarky comment about the way people look and dress.

you'll have to explain to me how this is, as you are implying, contradictory? I was, justifiedly, being equally sarky about both groups of victims Very Happy and their 30 second attention span. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy