Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courcheval 1650 to 1850: A few queries if you know area

Poster: A snowHead
We are staying in 1650 but can only get lessons in 1850. A few questions to those wiser than me...

1. Better to ski or bus there? Have to get to New Gen by 9.15am. Am assuming bus but just thought I'd check. Daughter will be in Rockets so can ski reds competently

2 Going 31 March for week. Better to go straight up to 1850 and not ski 1650 due to spring conditions or will we be able to ski back in the afternoon to 1650?

3. Is it worth getting 3V pass or is there plenty to do locally? We are all OK intermediate but daughter (13) will be doing lessons till 1.15pm anyway. Have heard Jerulasem run is great to St Martin. Will it be OK at this time of year or too low? Any other MUST DO runs?

4. Any good/good value restaurants I should look out for as lunch opportunities? Always get great advice from Snowheads. I do not have a Russian budget!

5. Lastly: hire shops. Any recommendations for good service?

Thanks folks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. bus. The bubble out of 1650 opens at 9 and takes 13 mins, and you need to get another lift again to get to 1850. Buses run (normally) every 10mins or so at that time of day.

2. Depends on temperatures. 1650 can be great still at that time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1650 is my favourite bit of the Courchevel valley.

3. I used to rate Jerusalem, but it's maybe a bit overhyped. Honestly - it's a bog standard red with a few 'whoops I should have gone a bit slower' rollers that occasionally make it funny. The slog over there via Meribel from 1650 will probably make it a bit underwhelming! Generally speaking for 'intermediates' - get a full 3Vs pass. Even if you don't make it to the 3rd valley over, you'll probably want to get to Meribel and back (especially the Motarret end).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're in 1650 for lunch try The Bubble, (down the lane off to the right as you ski to the snow front) or Rocky's (across the road from the bottom of the escalator at the left of the snow front). Both do decent and cheap (for Courchevel) meals and drinks. There are many other pizza and pasta places too, all much cheaper than 1850.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tinabf, try anywhere with the menu in Russian- a sure sign of quality, value and greta service.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1. You'd need to get the bus, as you wouldn't have time to ski over to 1850 by 9.15 (2 lifts, as mentioned above).

2. I stayed in 1650 in very warm spring-like conditions in mid-March last year, and found that 1650 had some of the best skiing in the resort, as many of the runs stay out of the sun. It was also pretty quiet. 1850 was also very good, though got very busy as everyone concentrated there. Meribel was pretty awful. The home runs down to 1650 got very slushy in the afternoon, but they are easy blues/green runs, so actually quite good fun in the slush. Otherwise, you can download on the Arondiaz bubble. There is a good base this year, so no reason at the moment for there not to still be great skiing even at the end of March.

3. Given that you are tied up with lessons until the afternoon, you may not have enough time to make best use of a whole 3Vs pass. If it's your first time there, there is plenty to keep you busy for a week on a Courchevel pass. You can upgrade to the whole 3Vs for one day if you want to explore over that side without paying as much as it would be for the whole week.

4. Nice red runs: Chapelets, Roc Merlet, Rochers/Bel Air (all in 1650); Combe de la Saulire, Chenus and Marquetty (1850). I haven't spent much time on the Meribel side, but liked Combe Tougnete. I also thought that Pramint down into St Martin was better than Jerusalem, though I didn't do the latter in the best of conditions. Also Suisses in 1850 is a nice easy black run - very wide and not desperately steep.

5. Eateries. I wasn't on a Russian budget either. Best I found for a nice restuarant lunch for around 15 Euros were the fantastic Bouc Blanc above La Tania, La Loy (?) on the side of the piste above St Martin and the Corcheneige in 1850 (amazing buffet). Otherwise, there's a hole in the wall sandwich shop/pattisserie opposite the bottom of the escalator in 1650 that does superb filled baguettes/paninis, or the fast food takeaway tacked onto the side of the Courchneige.

6. I've used Jean Blanc in 1650 for hire and service and they seem pretty good.

Hope this helps Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi - I think most questions are answered. Just to let you know it is quite easy to ski back to 1650 from 1850 and can be done on Blues (the signs pointing to 1650 disappear sometimes though so watch out for that!) but definitely bus it to get to your lessons in time. In general it is cheaper to eat in 1650 than 1850. In 1650 L'Arc en Ciel does fantastic pizzas and Le Petit Savoyard is lovely too.

I'm there at the same time I may bump into you!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
THANK YOU to all replies! Snowheads are very helpful and knowledgeable people! Cheers. SO excited now. Thought I would not be skiing this year but sometimes life improves..! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
J9, Thanks for answering! Have you been there before often? And if so have you been to Val D'Isere by any chance? How do they compare? We are with Le Ski at Premier de Cordee. Do you know it. Have a great holiday. And please don't bump into me. I'm feeling fragile...but after weeks of sciatica and the thought I was not going to be able to ski this year - I am now feeling great!
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Bel Air is a great place to eat, although not cheap is good value compared with most places in Courchevel. We had a horrendously expensive bad value experience at Le Casorolle the place further down the hill, though it was almost made up for by a fist fight amongst Russians accompanied by Drum and Bass. And why is it now that FD has opened in Meribel that every eatery feels obliged to have drum and bass banging out of undersized speakers?

If you are going to go into the other valleys, you could work out quite a nice cruise such as, into Motteret, up Plattier 1, do one of the Mont Vallon Runs, whichever is pisted, up Plattier 3 - Grand Lac, Chocalat Chaud at Granges,, do Jerusalem, down into St Martin for lunch, back up, do the red into Meribel (cheaper than Courcheval), Saulire 2 back into Courchevel.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DavidYacht wrote:
The Bel Air is a great place to eat, although not cheap is good value compared with most places in Courchevel. We had a horrendously expensive bad value experience at Le Casorolle the place further down the hill, though it was almost made up for by a fist fight amongst Russians accompanied by Drum and Bass. And why is it now that FD has opened in Meribel that every eatery feels obliged to have drum and bass banging out of undersized speakers?

Word is, that La Casserole will be another FD itself by this time next year
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DavidYacht, Oooh. Love the idea of the ncie crusie. Will try. Thanks. Daughter wsa desperate to do FD in Val D'Isere last year. Only a white out prevented that. Best not tell her there is one in Meribel!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What next? First they knock down the Bergerie to build more chalets for Russians and then yet another Folie Douce, I guess that I must be a boring old f**t, but I go the the Alps to enjoy the mountain environment, maybe it is me?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The downstairs hatch at the Bel Air knocks out decent food that is cheap, go upstairs if you want to pay more for a bit of warmth, but by 31st March it should be toasty on the terrace. Good place to stop for hot chocolate indoors if it is cold, but without going nuts and paying loads for lunch.

Rockys opposite the ski lifts in 1650 is run by Ski Olympic, decent food at a decent price. I remember a carbonara that was too big to finish. Several other similar options around, all fairly reasonable on price, just inconvenient to get off skis and go to the street level at lunchtime.

If you get a 3V pass, worth what will be a day trip to get to L'Ours Blanc in Les Menuires. Even from 1650, I'd ski there just for lunch.

A fairly recent trip report largely focused on lunch options here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1697465 and a very similar thread to this one here: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1684146&highlight=courcheval+courchevel+advice#1684146
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mistress Panda, Thank you SSH Very Happy
snow conditions
+ red runs on La Masse, just beyond Les Menuires, are great if you venture that far across 3V. Glorious views from summit and often quiet pistes.
Also +1 for relatively cheap and cheerful food at Rocky's Bar, on road almost opposite escalator to gondola in 1650.
+ 1 for L'Ours Blanc restaurant, Les Menuires, track off just to left of Doron chairlift looking downhill. Not cheap but good value for a special lunch and lovely terrace on sunny day.
We're in 1650 the week before you. Enjoy!
PS my 12yo son doing Face de B in Val D confidently this year. Best to catch it between about 10.30 and 11.30 in my experience, when surface usually softening, legs still fresh, sun on slope. First time looks dauntingly steep from about 1/3rd way down but plenty of width to go at!
snow conditions
tinabf, I have been to Val D'Isere twice and I think it is a lovely resort. However I like Courchevel so much I bought a flat in 1650! We are about to go out for our 3rd time this year. 3V is a huge ski area and IMHO has something for everyone - I am firmly a nervous intermediate but my husband has being skiing for around 30 years and finds plenty to keep him happy.

Also I think New Gen is a great ski school. We used the one in 1650 for our 8 year old and she had a great time but her skiing came along nicely with them (she is sadly better than me).

Have fun.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy