Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing for kids, tips please

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from Sev112's what not to forget post, it got me thinking about what I should pack for my kids.

I'm off to Zauchensee in 9 days time and it will be my kids first ever trip (aged 7, 5, and 2).

For me I would normally include, a base layer, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of gloves, face mask thingy, sunglasses, goggles, jacket, salopettes, hat, some hand warmers, maybe a fleece or sweater, plus a few clothes for wearing off the piste. I can actually pack pretty light, which for people who know just how much snow gear and crap I have is amazing! I really should sell some stuff on ebay! do I need 4 pairs of goggles?

Any top tips as to what the kids will need on top of that ?

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kids gloves/mitts to have string attached http://www.manbi.com/httpdocs/product.php?product_id=276 for younger ones or 'handcuffs' for older ones http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/accessories/hestra-handcuffs-junior/ to stop lost gloves, you can make your own easily enough.

Decent, waterproof snow boots for playing out.

Base layer top and long johns.

Different layering possibilities. Couple of T shirts in case it's really warm.

Depends where you are staying for Apres clothes, in a chalet our son lives in a Onesie for the week! Indoor shoes, crocs, slippers etc. Swimming gear.

Suncream & SPF lip salve.

Thin, under helmet balaclava.

Assume you are renting helmets/boots/skis.

Pocket snacks - mini biccies/choc/ etc + 3-5Euros for hot choc stop if in ski school, phone numbers written on a paper in pocket too.

If you have any stick on name labels (for school stuff) take those too for labelling up their hire gear as it can all look the same and easy to get mixed up with others, the shop may do this for you though.

Have a great time snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rather than an actual balaclava my two have those Buff things. If it's cold then it goes all the way up an over like a balaclava, if it's less cold then its neck warmer stylee.

Also - we have the lift pass rule. On day 1 it is zipped into a specific pocket (preferably sleeve or inside jacket) and that pocket is not used all week for anything else.

Name labels are a good idea - Boxes of A4 sheets of labels designed to go through a printer are cheap - you could even pre-print up a page with each child's name if you can be bothered.

If you're staying in a chalet there may well be a DVD player of some sort so maybe 1 favourite film each for quieter evenings alround?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
extra pair of gloves for each child, kept with you in backpack for emergencies - find we often need that as the playing in snow gets them wet and cold so quickly.
Does not need to be too tecnical and expensive, just dry!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, great list. One thing I would add is lots of packs of tissues. Going for warm to cold always sets noses running. Also take some packs of baby wipes - Ellie reguarly came back with face paint on and we found we were using baby wipes almost as much with our 4yr old as our one yr old we took the out for.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some kind of boot/glove dryer, we have hotronic one . We have only one kid, 6yo, but it gets used quite often. Don't forget the dedicated adapter plug for it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
London_Falcon wrote:

Also - we have the lift pass rule. On day 1 it is zipped into a specific pocket (preferably sleeve or inside jacket) and that pocket is not used all week for anything else.

Haha, a dad just like me!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One in each suitcase (unless under 5 in which instance you might get 2 in a suitcase) and none in hand luggage
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dsoutar, Glad you picked up on my typo Wink, should read 'four kids' I was hoping to get at least 2 in my ski bag to protect the edges!

Thanks for the advice, just what I was after. Looks like I have an excuse to go to Decathlon this weekend then Smile

Anyone got any good recommendations for good waterproof boots?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 7-03-13 12:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's likely to be warm and slushy (possibly raining). They will be rolling in it, throwing snowballs etc etc etc. I would suggest you carry as many changes of clothes as you can, especially gloves. Re-proof their jackets & salopettes before you go if you suspect they might benefit from it.

As for the lift passes, we sew the pocket shut so they can't lose them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A couple of 'shake and bake' disposable handwarmers. About the only way to get their hands warm (without going indoors) once they get cold.

Mine need very few non-skiing clothes. They spend most of their time in thermals in the apartment. The again, I don't turn the heating on much Evil or Very Mad

Buffs. Lots of buffs. They get soggy, snotty, chewed, suncreamed etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

chewed

Laughing drives me nuts!

+3 or whatever we're at for spare gloves.

I get Boots stick sunscreen stuff that does face and lips - and is small and compact to stay in kids pockets.

In self catering my kids tend to run around in their thermals too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If they are hiring skis - some large brightly coloured stickers to make ski identification easier

"Dad - I can't find my skis"
"Where did you put them when we stopped"
"Can't remember - somewhere over there with 200 other pairs of identical skis"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laptop with a dvd drive and a selection of kids dvds........ or memory stick/hard drive if you're more up-to-date.
If the weather is bad/lifts shut etc. it could be a lifesaver.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spare gloves/goggles do no harm. I would have thought that the 5 & 7 year old are similar sizes and the chances of a loss are high. Replacements in resort are never cheap.
latest report
A packet of colored pencils, a sharpener and some paper , can guarantee felt tips will leak during the flight. Pack of cards, "snap" for the accom, "fish" for busy restaurants when they are tired, hungry and getting impatient for dinner.
snow report
Gloves. More gloves. Even more gloves. Lots of socks. Hats for when not wearing helmets. Boot dryer or hairdryer. Spare goggles. Labels. marker pen. Tissues. Name tapes on everything that may be taken off. Needle and thread. Put ski gloves on "Wally Straps" through the jacket. Calpol. Exercise book for keeping a diary.
snow report
Lots of wine for parents
snow report
£1 toys....as many as possible...my friends's daughter had loads of fun from a £1 toy every day on holiday.
ski holidays
jonkgray78 wrote:

Anyone got any good recommendations for good waterproof boots?

Sorel Super Troopers, they are outstanding boots for kids, properly warm and properly sealed waterproof. Not cheap but you get what you pay for with snow boots IMO. You might be lucky and get them discounted, some sales are starting now.
ski holidays
Reiterating tip above on swimming gear, especially if they are going to be in daycare at all as they sometimes go swimming; or if you are in a hotel with a pool. They don't want to go in in their pants...

Our two (3 1/2 and 5 1/2) were both a bit discombobulated by the altitude, a bit grumpy (headaches?) and in one case sick (with no obvious food/bug cause). Keep them hydrated! We found the more cautious older kid needed lots of reassurance - he was becoming very capable but I think still felt a bit out of control of his situation, after all the mountain is a seriously unusual place! Lots of small snacks.

You will have fun!
snow report
sarah, Thanks, is this a good price for them ?

http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/flypage/8412/f1d019885bdede67b339069f6fd9b6e6/description/3162

I was also looking at these

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-snow-fur-boots-childrens-036073?colcode=03607348

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, so far today I have bought a hotronic boot/glove dryer, some hestra hancuffs, and made a long list of things to get from decathlon and sports direct this weekend! Why is shopping for ski gear more fun then normal shopping??
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
If they are hiring skis - some large brightly coloured stickers to make ski identification easier

Snowhead Stickers?
snowHead
ski holidays
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

Snowhead Stickers?
snowHead

good thinking - not recommended on the EoSB though snowHead
snow report
if you don't have snowhead stickers, a roll of coloured electrical tape works well.
snow report
jonkgray78, that is a fantastic price for those boots!! Shame I bought next year's too at what I thought was a good price a while back. As a point of reference I have just sold an outgrown pair for £26 on ebay, so snap them up at that price and then sell them on next season!
snow conditions
jonkgray78,

I am a veteran of lots and lots and lots of ski holidays with kids (maybe 25 weeks). Kids don't need a whole lot of stuff to go skiing really. Mind you neither do adults...

At half term I took 2 older sons skiing, 11 and 8. We managed with 1 piece of hold luggage, one ski bag and 3 bits of hand luggage- including 3 sets skis/boots/poles.

Kids need much much less than you think- and even with our minimalist approach we still ended up with a large stuff sack full of clean gear.

Top tips:

1. A sharpie pen- to name stuff- eg kids helmets / skis/ clothes/ kids (in desperation)- and to write name and mobile number on ski pass.

2. Duct tape to fix stuff and to write names on. Stick goggles to helmets.

3. Emergency labels- - name / dob/ your name / contact number / grandparents / insurance details- put these in ski gear /hand luggage/ lift pass holder.

4. String for gloves- looped through hang loop in jacket. Spare inner gloves. Perhaps a spare pair of ski gloves.

5. Microfleece top and bottoms (Regatta/ dare2be etc - v cheap very useful-) under ski gear if really cold- in chalet / spares if not.

6. Crocs / slipper- either or.

7. One pair outdoor shoes- Spring- walking boots- winter- snow boots.

8. Laptop / DVDs

9. Uno

10. Snacks for skiing

11. In spring platypus / camelback- not in winter when it will not be used/just freeze anyway.

12. For the less than totally continent child (ie when it is very very cold and they are in fartbag skisuits) consider pull up nappies- should be old enough- but a 4 year old will hot leg- then you will have smelly socks/ski suit/boots.

13. Thin fleece balaclava and a buff / toc (a fleece neck tube significantly warmer than a buff)

14 Plenty of sunscreen they are not allergic to- factor 50- reapply at lunchtime.

15 calpol , calprufen, other meds.

16 hardly any clothes other than ski gear- really you do not need much- 2 t-shirts, a top, a spare pair of trousers (which probably won't get used- see microfleece trousers above)- that's it.

17 For littleuns- a spare baby ski suit as they may well pee in it.

18 Nappies/ bum wipes / nappy bags (nappy bags appear not to exist in France when I have tried looking for them-(quite hard actually- I very nearly got frostbite- I went out in flip flops to get some in Val D'Isere- it was a blizzard- none in the garage, none in the Sherpa, none in the Pharmacy, none in the other supermarket- oh dangly bits my toes are falling off, bug this I'm going back without them and will start drinking larger till the feeling comes back). Nappies are mega expensive in ski resorts. Migros in Geneva is still mega expensive for nappies-(in Switzerland nappies are v expensive- everywhere- it would be cheaper to get them to poo-poo on to £50 notes).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy