Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix vs Le Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After years of skiing in VD/3V we have decided to try somewhere new.

We've already booked flights to Geneva for March 16 and are considering Chamonix (Les Houches) vs Le Grand Massif (Morillon). We are all intermediate boarders and wondering how the resorts might compare for boarding. I know Chamonix is meant to be amazing but am a little concerned about crowded buses etc.

This time we are going to find a private chalet so we are hoping to get something better than the typical tired old chalet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you had found somewhere in Chamonix itself would be closer call but given choice is Les Houches (which is a half hour from Chamonix and even further from Argentiere) and that you describe yourselves as intermediate and accustomed to 3V/EK, I would go with GM
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GM has lots of slow chairlifts, and lots of annoying flat sections. Flaine itself fares ok, but the GM at large seems to me to be bit of a snowboarder nuisance (I ski and board, but I've only skied there).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How long are you going for?
We went for only 3 days end of Jan, struggled with same decision and decided on GM (les Carroz) because did not want to spend precious time travelling between areas of Chamonix. Would love to still do it when we can go for longer.
GM was great, loved the area and will definately recommend it.
We stayed at the lovely cosy Chalet le Palane with amazing food, although bit out of town and if looking for nightlife probably not for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
patricksh wrote:
If you had found somewhere in Chamonix itself would be closer call but given choice is Les Houches (which is a half hour from Chamonix and even further from Argentiere) and that you describe yourselves as intermediate and accustomed to 3V/EK, I would go with GM

1/2 hour????? Are you walking?? It takes me 6 minutes from the centre of Les Houches to get to Chamonix Centre by car? And it is 20-25 minutes from Argentiere
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Davecon70, I make no secret of the fact I am a HUGE fan of the GM, however, you have to select your location carefully... Were you thinking Morillon village or 1100? Both have their pros and cons, and I would in fact re consider your location...

Having started off in Samoens, then onto Morillon (village) I have now settled on Les Carroz being the best access point and best village location (in winter)... The issues with Morillon is that the village is very small and has a serious lack of Apres (the Bon Coin is decent, but can be quiet). Morillon 1100 puts you right up there on the piste, but unless you have car, there is even less to do up there of an evening... and it is very isolated from anywhere else... Samoens is beautiful but the access to the GM can be a bit painful, and the Tete de Saix can close in high winds, blocking off pretty much everywhere else...

Les Carroz gives you quick access to both Morillon's pistes and over to Flaine... Has a great village vibe and you can ski back down to the main lift ( a very short walk out of the village centre). The bus system is excellent as well... I must admit that I have never found the GM a nuisance on a board... My mates and I are all at that 'intermediate' stage also and apart from the Perce-neige section, which joins Flaine and Samoens to LC and Morillon, it is pretty much all good Smile At the end of the day I have yet to go to any resort that has NO flat sections...

So, onto Chamonix... Went riding there for the first time a couple of yrs back and had a great time... However, this was because we had a dirty great big Nissan Nivara to drive around in and did a different resort location every day... Les Houches, Brevant/Flegere, Grand Montets/Le Tour, Courmayeur, St Gervias/Megeve, Les Contamines... I would not want to have had to rely on the bus system to get me around a very spread out ski area... personally...

Les Houches is not half an hour away... It is 5 mins up the road, once out on the motorway... If you do go there (I know you wanted a private chalet) can I recommend this place... http://www.hotelslalom.net Lovely hotel, at the foot of the lifts and a decent bar as well Smile Happy days buddy... Alternatively, somewhere I have never stayed but am dying to, just don't have enough friends Sad http://www.huski.com Check out the eco farm... AMAAAAAAAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I hope this helps and that you have a blast mate...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with AlpineAddict, apart from the Perce-Neige the Grand Massif is mostly ok. The only annoying thing for boarders is that the lift back from the Gers bowl is a very long and steep drag lift.
If you want to stay in Les Carroz then try www.skiology.co.uk - their chalet is couple of minutes walk from the telecabine.

I personally found buses in Chamonix a bit annoying but if you found accommodation in the right place you should be ok. Also, if you want a busy aprés-ski scene then you are better off in Cham.

If you are not fussed about that then go for the Grand Massif! Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi guys

Thanks for all the feedback. This is the first time we have gone independent and it's amazing how much more choice you have through websites like chaletsdirect.com.

That eco farm looks amazing but as there are 3 of us I'm trying to avoid the dreaded single person supplement and most chalets have agreed to waive it in view of the timing. So far LGM is slightly ahead at the moment due to the bus situation (we don't have a car) the idea of boarding a new mountain each day is very appealing!

I think the snow situation is pretty similar between the resorts although at lower level you always run the risk of slush unless it's still cold. I had the pleasure of boarding in Les Deux Alps in January and loved it but then again had perfect conditions. Blue skies and snow in the evening!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Davecon70, The GM has an exceptional snow record and seriously good conditioned pistes... which unless the weather changes forecast changes, could be all you're riding on... Sad

As an alternative mate, check out his place in Les Carroz http://www.labergerie-lescarroz.com/index_en.php It is a B&B but Claude has a family rooms that could sleep 3... Lovely place, Bus stop outside and 5 mins gentle walk to village centre...

Claude is an great host, but everything is French, so don't expect a fry up for brekkie Smile

RE the eco farm... It really would only work if you filled the place... Which is the issue... One day!!!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If you want to stay in Les Carroz then try www.skiology.co.uk - their chalet is couple of minutes walk from the telecabine.

Another vote for Skiology. We stayed in the other Les Caroz chalet and it was very nice indeed with better than the norm food.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just checked out skiology. They operate 17-24 and appear to be full!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, yeah not very surprising for late notice - they were v good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can recommend Bluebird chalets in Les Houches - 30 seconds from the Prarion Cabin and minibus transfer to the other Chamonix ski areas included.
Went there in Feb and was well impressed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy