Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski canazei

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone has been to Canazei, can you tell me if the reds are suitable for nervous 3/4 week skiers. Have heard that they are inclined to be steep but very wide, so easier to negotiate. Or is there a better resort in this area more suitable. Mixed bunch v.good intermediate/good children skiers/nervous adults. Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oldskigal, some pitches are a bit steep but nothing too bad. As you say, most are wide. Sounds like neighbouring Corvara or Colfosco might be a better base though - lots of cruisy blues,perfect for nervous adults.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might be better off staying in Alta Badia - Corvara or San Cassiano perhaps. The runs over there are much more gentle and possibly less busy, too.

Yes the reds at Canazei are wide, but they're steep at the top as you drop in off the Belvedere. Add a gale force wind and poor light, and they may never go back!

Experienced skiers won't have much trouble getting about to harder runs, but for the nervous you may want more stuff on the doorstep. Otherwise the Dolomites are a great choice, plenty for intermediate skiers to get stuck in to, and lots of lovely mountain huts for those who want to take it easy. Enjoy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
oldskigal, have a look at Seiseralm too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The reds in the Belvedere area above Canazei are certainly wide. One of them has a steep pitch right at the top which makes it look a lot worse than it really is. Others also have the odd steeper section but do have plenty of extra room for nervous skiers to get their turns in. I would say that the biggest problem there for a nervous skier is the home run (Lupo Bianco) in the afternoon; not because it is steep, but because of the 'volume of traffic' and consequently its tendency to get rather 'cut up.' If this is an issue you can take the gondola down. Very Happy

A good confidence booster might be a day on the other side of the valley, skiing between Alba and Pozza. The skiing on top is nearly all gentle reds with a few blues. Stronger intermediates would love the black back down to Alba, while the more timid souls could again take the gondola down. The Ciampac gondola that gives access to this side of the valley is a 5-minute, frequent bus-ride from Canazei. If you have a car, the Trevalli (Lusia) area would be ideal. Just head for Moena and pick up the gondola at Ronchi (loads of free parking Very Happy) A little further along is another suitable area; San Pellegrino.

On the Sella Ronda itself, Corvara/Colfosco with easy access to San Cassiano would probably be the best bet for a really nervous skier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Think the only steep entry is the one from Arabba back over in to the Canazei/Belvedere area? It is deceptive. Not really that steep once you've made 2 turns, but does appear steep before you commit.

From Canazei, it's very easy to head towards Campitello. All easy runs there, including the way back to Canazei, and also nice wide open pistes.

Alba, as above, is also a very good choice. All easy pistes, and more importantly, the place is relatively deserted Smile OK it's a 5min bus ride, and if it's a mixed group, some may want to do Alba while others may want to do the main Sella Ronda area, but I really do recommend having a play in Alba.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for andy's suggestion of a bus to Alba -nice quite 'bowl' with confidence inspiring runs.

The Belvedere Bowl is a lovely beginner/intermediate area once you are in it (some steep bits..)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy, and Gaz C, have it exactly right. The only real problem for the nervous skiers in your group would be the re-entry from Arabba and this is not difficult if there is good light and it is not late afternoon.
We found that Ronchi was a good afternoon's skiing, San Pellegrino a bit featureless (though visibility was bad that day so we only skied one side of the area before heading lower down).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oldskigal, I went to Canazei in my third week of skiing about 15 years ago and managed fine on the reds there, and I was a nervours skier then. I even managed to ski to Arabba and back; there is a steep start to the red run over to Arabba, but there is also a bail-out blue path which takes out most of the steep bit. You'll have a great time. Just try and stay in Canazei itself otherwise it's a hike or a bus ride.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are actually 2 ways to miss the steepish bit on the way over from Canazei/Belvedere to Arabba. One is the path that goes round the outside of the bumpy bit, while the other, all you have to do is turn left at the top of the lift instead of going straight on. Has a much easier, deserted run which comes out much lower, and is much better when the weather is a bit bleak. Then it's blue/green all the way to Arabba.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
turn left at the top of the lift instead of going straight on. Has a much easier, deserted run which comes out much lower,

I don't think that was there when I stayed in Canazei or I'm sure I would have found it! Is it new?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tessaventer, been there at least 2 years, and probably much longer. easy to miss, and might not even be on the piste map.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piste map below (far right) shows two red runs, 40 and 41, from Belvedere towards Arabba. There is an easy alternative on No 40, as a path takes you round the steep start, as andy says. I never went the other way, which presumably is, or is next to, route 41 so can not comment on it.
http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/Italy/Arabba-Piste-Map-North.pdf
The difficult part if you ski down into Arabba (i.e. if you do not come back up chairlift 126) is the top of route 1, down from Ref Luigi Gorza. That is AFAIK unavoidable, but is OK if tackled in good snow conditions, good light conditions and relatively early in the day as it is quite wide.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 7-03-13 13:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it is 41.
Good point about piste 1 though. There is a new chair, but I haven't sussed out exactly where the start and end points are, or if it can drop you on to piste 1 or 46 below that first pitch.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beequin wrote:

The difficult part if you ski down into Arabba (i.e. do not come back up chairlift 126 is the top of route 1), down from Ref Luigi Gorza. That is AFAIK unavoidable, but is OK if tackled in good snow conditions, good light conditions and relatively early in the day as it is quite wide.

Yes, good point! I remember with shame Embarassed I knocked over a blind skier on that run on the way back that year!
snow report
andy, I think the new chairlift is no. 3, which serves route 11. This connects with 1 below the departure onto 46, so does not serve the connection back to Canazei. So, if you want to do the sella ronda from Canazei with your nervous skiers the anti-clockwise route is much better.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy