Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smoking in Soll

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a week in Soll, which overall was great. Some good bars, live music, great skiing etc. BUT!! in every bar people are allowed to smoke, which for us spoilt the experience somewhat. Every night we could taste smoke in our lungs, and our clothes stunk of it. Don't you think its about time Austria sorted this out. Its certainly put us off going back to Soll again. Went to St Anton in Jan and it wasn't half as bad as Soll.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was in the Postwirt hotel in Soll last year having a lovely steak and chips with my wife (not as a guest of the hotel). The empty table next to me was then occupied by an elderly English Gentleman (though he didn't act like a Gent!) He then proceeded to smoke one fag after anther despite him coming in after us and while we were still eating. he didn't take the hint when as the smoke was wafting over our table I was waving the menu like a fan. He still didn't even want to stop smoking when I asked him politely to claiming there was no law against it! Well I wasn't pleased but didn't want to have a row so basically once we finished we left.
So yes this is something that needs to be addressed as is also a problem in other Bars though not just limited to Austria. In fact Ive got so use to no smoking in the UK that it feels strange that it was only a few years ago that it was banned
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The hotel we stay in in Seefeld is a bit more civilized. The main hotel bar is non-smoking, but has a smoking room off of it. The cafe/bar is non-smoking as is the main hotel dining room. This has changed since we started going there about 6-7 years ago. There a couple of other bars with live music & DJs that do allow smoking so everybody is kept happy. I suppose it's lucky that the place is so big.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep - it's the only thing that puts me off Austria. Luckily my hotel (the Staffler in Niederau) was smoke free but they have a nightclub (The Cave Bar) which I visited on one night and it was appalling - low ceilings and people smoking meant I stayed for 1/2 hour and went. Had to seal my clothes in a seperate bag due to the smell. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to italy a few years ago that they were no smoking in bars, hotels and restaurants.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Graucho,

I was amazed the Italians actually obeyed the ban. We went there just after it came in, when junior was only a few months old. We were worried that he would come back kippered, but we didn't see a single instance of smoking inside. We did check several bars to be sure wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
xscreamer, although I gather there is now a ban in Switzerland, on our one and only visit to Wengen it was horrible in most of the bars. France had already brought in their smoking ban by then so we weren't prepared. We were in Italy just after the ban came into force too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The only time I've had issues with/really noticed people smoking in Austria (other than fag butts dropped on the slopes) is when we had a smoker in our group.

Although you CAN smoke indoor in Austria my experience is that people generally don't. Sure a few people do but the only ones who seem to do it to an excess and without consideration for others are fellow Brits Sad But that's why we tend to go to Ischgl and not Mayerhofen, etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Took the kids to Saalbach a few years ago, but eating out was usually spoilt other diners smoking. Will be taking them to France rather than Austria from now on, or at least til the Austrians introduce a smoking ban.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Although you CAN smoke indoor in Austria my experience is that people generally don't.

Yeah, my experience too. And less people seem to smoke anyway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smoking is still an issue in the smaller resorts. I didn't find a bar in St Johann in Tirol last week where there weren't people smoking (but there were plenty of non smoking dining areas). Was in Mayrhofen at Christmas and Hara Kiri bar is non-smoking with a separate smoking area off to one side, I think Moe's also had a non-smoking area . The ski huts on the mountain in both areas were still smokey although it's certainly much better than it used to be.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I usually find that non-smoking areas don't work very well, as the smoke doesn't understand the rules, so just wafts gently from one area to the other.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy