Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA 23 March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Chamonix or Tignes for an off piste course?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kioksor,

It really depends on what you want and what level of off piste-skier you are. You need to decide what you want to achieve from your trip. The skiing on offer is quite different.

Chamonix and Argentiere UCPAs are in the valley and a good distance from the skiing. Tignes UCPA is at 2000 metres and is ski in ski out.
I have skied about nine weeks of the UCPA off-piste stages. I have experienced Tignes/VDI and Chamonix/Argentiere (among others.)

You have a variety of Freeriding and Steep Skiing courses available in Chamonix/Argentiere. If you want to ski some serious steep and at times exposed off-piste then Cham/Argentiere maybe for you. I dislike the queues for the Grandes Montets, the poor bus services and the infrastructure in the Chamonix valley. I seemed to spend more time waiting around, travelling, on the train, walking, and queiing rather than skiing. Yes you can ski some of the classic ‘steep’ off-piste descents, and the scenery is amazing, but I prefer other places.

The Tignes off-piste stage I was on did not have the same level of off-piste skier as the ones in the Chamonix Valley. There is some great easily accessible off-piste in EK and the UCPA centre is ski in ski out. The snow conditions in Tignes are usually excellent. Chamonix and Argentiere are not ski in ski out. There are some brilliant off-piste descents in EK. If you get fresh snow you should get lots of powder skiing in. If it has not snowed for a while then you will have to climb and work for your snow – as is true of any popular freeriding/off-piste destination.

It is also worth considering that the off-piste skiing in EK is now getting super super popular. Fat skis seem to be enabling lots more people to be able to ski off-piste. You see many more people skiing off-piste now in EK, than say 7 years ago.

In summary Chamonix UCPA for classic ‘steep’ skiing, ski mountaineering and large descents. Tignes/VDI for easily accessible off-piste from a ski in ski out base.

I hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JayDub, good comparison, thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks JayDub

Was there a snowheads discount code for booking via action outdoors?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy