Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines.....100 hours to go. One question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
haven't been to Les Contamines before so we don't know the ski area. Seems there are a choice of two passes. Les Contamines Montjoie/Hauteluce or Evasion Mont Blanc.

We usually buy the pass for a bigger area (Mont Blanc unlimited and 3V being the two most recent examples) only to find that a Champass or Val Thorens local pass would keep us busy all week anyway.

Due to unusually fortunate timing of flights, we get to ski 7 days instead of 6. The kids haven't been to Chamonix, so we will probably go up there for a day at the start or end of the week. Any locals care to offer an opinion on which pass they would buy for 6 days? Are the area connected by lifts or road?

p.s. We can all ski (survive might be a more appropriate term for us oldies) on just about anything. Kids have been known to race down icy moguls, but are just as happy to beat me down a nearly flat green Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i normally get the evasion pass if the snow is good in megeve and saint gervais and only do one or two days in les con. its mostly above tree line so best saved for nice days, you can buy 6 non consecutive days (for a little extra) so you could go to Chamonix mid week if you like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thornyhill, I'd just get non-consecutive LC passes for the days you are going to spend there. Then if you decide to go to another resort for a day or so, that would determine which pass you get for those days. If your trips away were to Chamonix the Evasion Mont Blanc pass would be a waste of money. From LC you would need to drive to get to any other resorts, of course. If you stay flexible you can respond to weather/conditions
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2shortplanks, how come you only have 1 post Puzzled

I meant are the Evasion areas connected by lifts or roads. I realise it reads like Cham/Les C
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thornyhill, How much freedom you have though depends on if you are hiring a car? LC is not lift linked to the rest of the Evasion area so you will need to catch the bus to get around to St Gervais /Megeve/Les Houches (via the funicular).

If you can I'd hire a car as it will offer you so much more terrain to ski on... You can drive around to Les Houches, which I think is quicker than the train up from SG. A little further and you have Chamonix as well, and a little furhter and you're in Courmayeur... All this within around 50 mins of LC...

Think you might also be lucky with the weather as the rain/snow is due to ease up on Sat night... Smile

Hope you have fun whatever you do mate and enjoy LC... It's a great little place Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have a hire car. - Is Les Houches part of the Evasion pass? I can't work out what additional areas it covers. Different sites show different areas.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As above, no lift link but a shortish bus ride or drive to St Gervais to hook up with the Megeve area. However the buses run once an hour or so only.

LC has about 110km of good pistes (although the high blacks on the right of the map have always been closed when I've been there). Personally for a week I'd prefer a bigger area, but it is just about OK for a week. I find the resort a bit of an undiscovered gem....most haven't heard of it, which keeps it nice and quiet, and the location means the snow is generally great. There are some fantastic views over Mont Blanc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is Les Houches part of the Evasion pass?

I don't think so. And the snow in Les Houches might not be the best. LC would have better snow than most places around, actually. Up the top, above Signal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Pam - I didn't think so, but then I thought AlpineAddict's post might indicate that it did. Kids are dying to race me down The Kandahar. I would prefer a day trip to Grands Montets. See how their little legs cope with that Twisted Evil

Will take your advice and stay flexible until we arrive at least. snowHead

p.s. - thanks as well to Whitters, AlpineAddict and 2shortplanks,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thornyhill, Hi mate... Sorry for the confusion... I don't think Les Houches in on the Evasion pass...

http://www.evasionmontblanc.com
http://www.lesportesdumontblanc.fr/UserFiles/File/1352890231_Plan_Pistes_EVASION.pdf

I was simply indicating that with a car, and one day passes, you can travel to an new destination each day Smile Les Houches being one of them... I agree with pam w that the snow will be a lot better in LC, especially after all the rain forecast for the next few days, but I really like Les Houches as resort and village...

Never really ridden around the far side of Evasion either... But I here Combloux is a nice day out... So you could easily do:

Les Contamines
St Gervais
Megeve/Combloux - http://www.lesportesdumontblanc.fr/UserFiles/File/1352889568_Plan_Pistes_PMB.pdf
Chamonix (Prob Brevant/Flegere best bet)
Les Houches
Then back to your fave places for final 2 days... Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thornyhill, Lea Houches was in good nick today....crowded 'cos other areas were closed due to high winds. The foehn is quite strong so late afternoon it was a bit slushy. Lower resorts in the evasion area may have suffered. Take the kids to GM!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlpineAddict wrote:
Thornyhill, Hi mate... Sorry for the confusion...

No Problem. more wishful thinking than anything else Happy

2nd linky explains a lot. TY
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thornyhill, the way our flights work we can get 7 days of skiing. But in practice I am only person who skis on last day!

I am not familiar wirh LC but you are prob best off getting family 6-day area pass, then on last day you or anyone who wants to ski with you just get a day or half day pass for just the area you are planning to ski
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy