Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ah ... so 'Hard' when translated from the French does not mean 'solid'.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow mortals!

Been off for a while (busy pretending to be adult/actually skiing rather than talking about it). Knew you were pining away in my absence, so thought I'd drop by briefly to restore your faith in the world.

So: THE RED SKIS: whatever the choice might have been, getting them was not the wrong one. My skiing form has changed dramatically since getting them. Not on all slopes, but on many, I'm actually skiing kinda ish. SKIING. Rather than getting down with slightly more style than the time before. Biggest improvement since I stopped snowploughing constantly.

Last trip was Alpe d'Huez. Almost perfect weather - could have done with a tad more snow at the end of the week, but hey - the red skis could grip everything ...

It was here I experienced Tunnel. And learned to pay attention to the French warning signs, not the translations. Assumed it would be hard pack ice on the other side, not solid MOGULS OF DEATH/DOOM. Almost turned back when I saw an ESF instructor make it look difficult, side sliding down the top bit. Still, peer pressure and all that, and if the boarder in our group could do it, I could. Turned out to be a gorgeous run ONCE PAST THE MOGULS OF DEATH (DOOM).

Lesson: Hard = Difficult. Probably not learned. Ho hum.

Next trip, next week: Tignes. TELL ME THERE WILL BE LOADS OF SNOW. (Please).

At some point I might see if I can get a video of my skiing to fascinate you all with. I mean, so you can tell me what I should be focusing on most to improve skiingness.

Also, the number of mogul runs I accidentally end up on, I have GOT to learn how to ski them. *sigh* Why can't everything be flat and swooshy?

Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How on earth did you end up doing tunnel by mistake??? Shocked I am however impressed you survived, our group were rather disconcerted by watching an instructor fall and slide out of sight on his @rse.....I bailed, although some of our group did head down.... well done snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-03-13 22:07; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did the tunnel when I was 16, I don't remember it being that bad. Steep, icy and moguls the sizes of small cars but not scary enough that I'd walk back out. :\
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
welcome back!

Piste skis on piste ftw Smile Stole Ronald's Stöckli slaloms on the BB for a day. /me wants! Liked them much much more than the all mountain type. Glad you're enjoying the red ones and I know that there'll be one less (fewer?) person borrowing them on teh next PSB ski test, so I can try them out too Smile Wink Not so sure about the white ones though - they look like a handful.

Tunnel sounds intriguing. AdH is now on my to do list.

Did you not do a mogul lesson session on the PSB? (my memory is rapidly fading). Learned quite a bit there... just needs practice. Lots.

Quote:

busy pretending to be adult

Happy Birthday for whenever it is/was?

PS how many holidays are you having this year? must be at least 4?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe it was in particularly bad state when we were there? Whenever we were up near the entrance there seemed to be a couple of returners and when we sent our canaries Wink they returned with a 'probably not for anyone else' judgement. Maybe they are finally getting more cautious NehNeh I'm much more mogul enabled now so maybe next time!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
first time I skiied Tunnel it was completely empty. Decided the first bit was best tackled straight down with a big stoppie. Worked fine and after the right hand turn it opens up and you have plenty of time to think/ski. Second time down there were about 100 people side slipping down the narrow bit and falling over a lot. By the time I got to the first left hander I was knackered and terrified.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Le Tunnel really isn't on my list to do. Ever.

I've never heard anyone say it's lovely, just varying tales of terror.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Piccadilly wrote:
Le Tunnel really isn't on my list to do. Ever.

I've never heard anyone say it's lovely, just varying tales of terror.

Hahaha! It's a challenge. And the run AFTER the horrible bit was gorgeous. Swooshy and empty and fast and delicious.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a.j. wrote:
How on earth did you end up doing tunnel by mistake??? Shocked I am however impressed you survived, our group were rather disconcerted by watching an instructor fall and slide out of sight on his @rse.....I bailed, although some of our group did head down.... well done snowHead

Well - we didn't think it would be that difficult. Nothing else marked 'for good skiers only' was. And then once you're at the top of it, and trying to get to that side of the mountain it's a choice of do it (slowly, carefully) or ski all the way down the otherside and do another 3 lifts. And friends were not going to not do it. So I chose to die with them and didn't actually die.

Though was convinced I might.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef wrote:
I did the tunnel when I was 16, I don't remember it being that bad. Steep, icy and moguls the sizes of small cars but not scary enough that I'd walk back out. :\

the latter part of your description is exactly what makes it 'that bad'. wink
16 year olds have no sense of self-preservation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
welcome back!

Piste skis on piste ftw Smile Stole Ronald's Stöckli slaloms on the BB for a day. /me wants! Liked them much much more than the all mountain type. Glad you're enjoying the red ones and I know that there'll be one less (fewer?) person borrowing them on teh next PSB ski test, so I can try them out too Smile Wink Not so sure about the white ones though - they look like a handful.

Tunnel sounds intriguing. AdH is now on my to do list.

Did you not do a mogul lesson session on the PSB? (my memory is rapidly fading). Learned quite a bit there... just needs practice. Lots.

Quote:

busy pretending to be adult

Happy Birthday for whenever it is/was?

PS how many holidays are you having this year? must be at least 4?

Hello!
No, no mogul lesson - just a general lesson. It's going to have to be done, though. Gah.

Birthday is one of the scary ones, hence 4 weeks skiing. Have pretty much used all my holiday allocation already. Whoops.

Thank you Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did the Sarenne last month by mistake Embarassed Got to the top of Marmottes intending to go back the same way. By the time I realised I was on the Sarenne I had to continue a further 9 miles to the bottom Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Similar to other peeps experiences, I've seen it in moguls of death mode and in quiet rather pleasant mode. Last time I was there I did chaperone a 4/5th week skiing lady friend down. It's certainily a challenge and something in my opinion that 'has to be done'.

Moguls you learn to love.... eventually!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Birthday is one of the scary ones, hence 4 weeks skiing. Have pretty much used all my holiday allocation already. Whoops.

Best time of the year to use the allocation Smile (Just have to remember to put 5 days aside for December - annoying that next season's ski trip is in this year's allowance)
That birthday isn't really that scary, but 4 ski holidays is a worthy birthday present to oneself. I'd have done the same, but was sent to mostly hot places.

Quote:

No, no mogul lesson - just a general lesson. It's going to have to be done, though. Gah.

It's worth it. Then you don't go "Gah! Blimmin' moguls!", but can show off in front of friends that also hate them Smile Wink
(NB - I'm not at that stage yet)

This Tunnel does sound interesting. Anyone know how it compares on the Swiss Wall scale?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thornyhill wrote:
first time I skiied Tunnel it was completely empty.

The first time the wife skied it it was similarly empty, only because it was a complete white-out blizzard and you couldn't see ten feet which meant making out some of the massive moguls pretty difficult. Got to the bottom being chased by the pisteurs shutting the run and she didn't think it was that bad given the visibility, then changed her mind when we went up in perfect vis the next day and she saw what she'd skied.
snow report
OliviaDB wrote:

Hello!

Thank you Happy

Ooooh I'm doing the same! Scary birthday next month = four ski hols this season.

*High five* and Happy Birthday.
latest report
andy,

Having skied the tunnel many, many times and also slid pretty well all the way down the first pitch after losing both skis Embarassed not my fault obviously rolling eyes rolling eyes but never been down this swiss wall thing I would be interested as well Madeye-Smiley
snow report
andy wrote:

This Tunnel does sound interesting. Anyone know how it compares on the Swiss Wall scale?

Haven't skiied on the Swiss Wall, but just YouTubed it. Steepness doesn't really phase me if I have room to think and turn. Swiss wall looks wide and steep. First part of the Tunnel is v v narrow (not much more than 2-2.5 meters at the start.) If it is clear, you can actually ski on it. If it isn't, you could spend 5-10 minutes side-slipping and watching people fall over and disappear. Worst thing is when someone above you falls. You feel bad for praying that they will go over the edge and not come straight down and take you with them Toofy Grin
snow report
andy, skitow,

I don't know the tunnel, but the wall is as the tunnel has been described here: steep, not a lot of snow and moguls the size of VW Beetles. You get a hell of a lot of people who like the idea of doing it, starting, then realizing that they have made a mistake and then just standing about getting in your way.
latest report
musher,
Quote:

just standing about getting in your way.

That was my problem - every single mogul had a terrified person perched on top of it, I simply couldn't see where to turn. And had an epic fall. Normally I don't mind moguls, but that experience seriously dented my confidence.

OliviaDB, happy birthday, young lady! Toofy Grin
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
musher,
Quote:

That was my problem - every single mogul had a terrified person perched on top of it,

Once I got to the moguls it was fine. The terrified fallers on the top pitch were the major issue.

Olivia - scary birthday is 110......cos you know that this will be your last decade. 30 or 40 isn't scary. I can't imagine 50 or 60 will be either.
snow conditions
If I'm still skiing at 110 I'll be happy not scared!!
Once you reach 60 you start getting reduced price ski passes at some resorts, then free ones over 70 ish
latest report
Piccadilly wrote:
OliviaDB wrote:

Hello!

Thank you Happy

Ooooh I'm doing the same! Scary birthday next month = four ski hols this season.

*High five* and Happy Birthday.

thank you! Happy
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
musher,
Quote:

That was my problem - every single mogul had a terrified person perched on top of it, I simply couldn't see where to turn. And had an epic fall. Normally I don't mind moguls, but that experience seriously dented my confidence.

OliviaDB, happy birthday, young lady! Toofy Grin

Thanks! Happy *likes the 'young'*
latest report
Thornyhill wrote:
Pedantica wrote:
musher,
Quote:

That was my problem - every single mogul had a terrified person perched on top of it,

Once I got to the moguls it was fine. The terrified fallers on the top pitch were the major issue.

Olivia - scary birthday is 110......cos you know that this will be your last decade. 30 or 40 isn't scary. I can't imagine 50 or 60 will be either.

Ha, I see a certain kind of logic in that. Happy
snow report
The time I went down the tunnel by mistake (my third week; I got separated from the rest of the group whom I was 'following') they were pisteing it. Which is to say that five lift operators with shovels were making some of the moguls that were taller than I am (and I'm not short) a bit shorter.

I enjoyed it in so much as I thought 'if I can get down that in one piece, then I can get down anything!'
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy