Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze d'Oulx

Poster: A snowHead
Do we have any Sauze experts?

I'm trying to find out if there is actually any cross country skiing in the Milky Way resorts for Mrs M. The Nielsons brochure says 10km in Sauze, nothing in Sestriere. The Crystal brochure has it the other way round. montgenevre.co.uk says 23km there. [slight correction, I think Neilsons actually say 10km in both, Crystal only 10km in Sestriere]

Mrs M has contacted the local sci fondo (sp?) club and they say nothing particularly close to Sauze. That made her a bit concerned so she called Nielsons. The guy she spoke to said he had skied Sauze several times and didn't know of any. Currently she is not very happy Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-03-13 20:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been to Sauze yet going on 24/3, you could check out the Neilson forum and post the question on there, in the past their in resort reps have been very good about answering queries before you get there. On the back of one of my own questions a few seasons back they moved us to a different apartment without any quibble, not the same as possibly changing resorts but they are generally quite good about following up on there. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Update - Don't trust the Neilsen brochure ! What it calls cross country in Sauze turns out to be hiking trails and snow mobile tracks yet it uses the exact same same phrase and place on the brochure page to list the cross country in Seefeld which of course is the real thing. I wish they would treat us langlaufers with a bit of respect. Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lilywhite,

Thanks for that - just tried asking on there as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am going to start a group for equal rights for cross country skiers ! Especially in the brochures of certain holiday firms. Either that or move to Norway but the big Musher and the little Mushers won't let me. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sauze is built on a steep hillside - wouldn't have thought there was much scope for cross country skiing.....

Montgenevre (french end of Milky Way) is more 'level', so may have some genuine cross-country tracks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albob,

There are rumors of XC in Claviere. Any idea how often the bus runs from Sauze to Montgenevre?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This webpage has some information: http://www.cmvss.it/piste_sci.asp It is in Italian, so look for 'sci di fondo' phrase and then throw it at google translator.
It says there is xc in Claviere and Sestriere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have no idea about this but James from this website http://www.sauzeonline.com/sauze/ has been helpful with me and might know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher wrote:
albob,

There are rumors of XC in Claviere. Any idea how often the bus runs from Sauze to Montgenevre?

No - sorry.........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wyspa,

The local ski club and now Neilson's (contrary to their brochure) deny that there is any cross country in Sestriere. Neilson, Thomson, Inghams and Crystal all seem to be similarly disingenuous in their brochures about the availability of cross country in Sauze and Sestriere. I don't think I'll really know the truth till I get out there. I suspect that Mrs M might be somewhat annoyed on return.

It looks like the nearest loops are actually in Clavier just before Montgenevre, hence the bus questions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
from wikipedia

"Sestriere......

It is a part of the Via Lattea (Milky Way) ski area in Italy, where the 2006 Winter Olympics were held.

Pragelato - the resort is part of the Via lattea(Milky Way), is connected to this area by the Pattemouche-Anfiteatro cableway, built in 2006. There is a wide variety of activities for tourists, who can enjoy any kind of sport, in summer a 9-hole golf course can be played. Pragelato is a natural paradise for cross-country skiing, you have the chance to try the Olympic course supplied with planned snow-making system over 10 km as well as the tourist course that winds along the gorgeous scenarios of the Val Troncea Natural Park. The ski-jumping stadium present the Olympic heritage, which highlights the tourist-sport development of this resort......"

just dont (yet) know where Pragelato is..... !

Oppisite end of the Milky way from Claviere.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"...cross-country skiing

There is an almost 6 miles loop in Sestriere for cross-country skiing and is located within walking distance of the town. The scenery is beautiful and the loop cost about $3 for a half-day and $5 for a full day of skiing.

One can buy a discounted six-day pass. For a brake, one can stop at the resting huts and restaurants along the loop.

In the Milky Way there are over 20 miles of trails, in the French area
too, but they are not all connected, and so one needs a car or other
transportation to get from some trails to others. ................................."
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From TipAdvisor

"....1. Re: Cross country skiing in Sauze d'Oulz

yesterday, 12:29

There is no cross country skiing in sauze d'oulx that is why you will not find a map with tracks, nearest cross country is Cesano or Pregelato but they are far away and you would need a car to get to pregelato...."
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Best place for cross country I have come across was near Canazei in Dolomites. Lots of tracks in the valleys with beautiful scenery.
ski holidays
Pragelato was developed for the 2006 winter olympics as the centre for nordic skiing. I cant say that I bothered seeking it out as it isn't my cup of tea but we stayed in the olympic village made for those freaks.

As for getting there from sauze she'd struggle with those skis and its a 40 minute bus ride our of Sestriere.

It's easy to get to by normal means, a couple of lifts out of sauze, down into sestriere, down the flat vally bottom and then up the lower of the two four man chairs, from there head (skiers) right and pick up th ecablecar in to Pragelato.

Simples...
latest report
James from www.sauzeonline.com says that XC is only available at Clavier and Montgenevre. I have asked him about bussing it there, will post when he responds. Perhaps he ruled out Pragelato as it is difficult to get there. I'll check on that one too.

Anybody going to Sauze wanting to hire skis & boots etc, his quote is lower than the TOs, skiset, intersport etc. He is also very competitive for ski school as well.
snow report
homers double wrote:
P we stayed in the olympic village made for those freaks.

I AM NOT A FREAK Mad

Just because I like a different kind of skiing to you does not give you the right to call me a freak. How unkind.
snow conditions
I was just going to say a big thank you to everyone for your help but I must say that I do not appreciate the freak comment.
So thank you to you all for your help but I am going away now as it is bad enough being booked on a holiday with no XC without being insulted for being a langlaufer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy