Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2014 1/2 Term Serre Chevalier or Milky Way

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having returned from a great holiday in Gressoney, and decided to return again only to find Crystal have hiked their prices by 30%!! Guess that's what happens when resorts win awards.
So where to next?
Picked these two out. Any comments on the two resorts, in particular how busy they get at half term. Both big resorts so should be plenty of room, provided you can get UP.
Particularly where to stay in these two areas?
All comments appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bruisedskier, what do you want? Chalet, Hotel or self-catered apartment? Village atmosphere, busy nightlife or good restaurants? Half-term can be busy anywhere. I can advise on Serre Chevalier if I have some idea of what you want.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells, Well Serre Chevalier was the one I first came across. Read some of the other post, think I might have seen your name.

Ok, firstly the question is how busy does Serre Chevalier get at half term? "This is a family resort, and it gets especially busy in the February/March French school holidays." Realise busy is a relative word, and that even busy resorts have quiet areas where if you get up early enough you''l be fine.

Read somewhere that Le Monetier is quiet, does that include the ski area or just the village?

I like the idea that there are a lot of greens which might help boost my Wifes confidence, and the big area would give my son and I something to explore.

Would prefer half board, not too fussy about night life. At the moment exploring possibilities.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bruisedskier, if you like the idea of greens and blues for your wife, I'd go with something in Villeneuve as that gives you good access to the Frejus area as it has a nice area at the top of the bubble with nice open pistes. Currently they are accessed by draglifts, but there is talk of them being replaced before next season with a chairlift. It is no busier than any other French resort in mid-February.
Le Monetier has a quiet village feeling, slopes are generally quieter and there is a nice area accesible by the chairlifts to build her confidence. Chairlift up will be busy at ski school meeting time, but soon disperses.
SKi Miquel have a couple of chalets in Monetier, and may still offer the Hotel Europe on half-board, otherwise it would be DIY as there are no other TOs in Monetier at the moment. Highest skiing and best snow is on Monetier side, and with the 6 man chairlift access has speeded up considerably.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Picture from half-term week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have just returned from Serre Chevalier - were there during Feb half term. This was only my 2nd time skiing having previously been to Montgenevre. Serre has a great variety of nice blues and reds with lots of choice. I found it a great resort as someone who was aiming to build on and improve after my first ski trip. I would recommend it. It was very busy especially first thing in morning. We stayed in Villeneuve - Monetier seemed a lot quieter but it has access across to all the other ski areas via a red run. Great thermal baths in Monetier - well worth a visit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alangibson73, welcome to snowHeads snowHead and nice first post. Assume that red you refer to is Cucumelle - a nice run. Possibly not the hardest red ever, though I'm surprised that it hasn't been complimented by an easier alternative to enable more people to ski the wider area without reverting to the bus.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No the red after the lift up from Monetier - think it may be Yret. You need to ski this coming back from Monetier before you then get another lift up to Cucumelle. Cucumelle is a nice wide red and on a clear day has great views over the valley - not so great when lots of snow!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, that is Yret (a fine run) - though not the only way to La Cucumelle (lift and run - and only skiable way out of Monetier sector....on piste, that is) , which is what I had in my mind.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that is what I was trying to say. Other than the Ski Bus - it is the only way to get from Monetier to the top of Cucumelle. Really enjoyed Serre - as an improver it had lots to offer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alangibson73 wrote:
Really enjoyed Serre - as an improver it had lots to offer.

Agreed Smile I learned there and have been 5 times now. Plenty for the more adventurous, too snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alangibson73, you can also take the Eychauda chair (the left hand one of the three Monetier lifts) and it's a short ski down from there to the Cucumelle chair.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been to both during half term. Here are my thoughts on both areas.

Serre Che: Four linked resorts, each area feels a bit different but good links between all sectors and a free valley bus so you don't have to do a 'there-and-back' if you get tired, etc. I'd probably chose to stay in Villeneuve or Chantemerle, as both of these access nice blue/green areas half way up the mountain. There will be queues first thing for these lifts but once on the mountain the crowds seem to spread out so queues are not bad. Most people seem to ski down at the end of the day, so the easier resort runs do get crowded and icy. Either ski the tougher runs (better snow, few people) or download via the gondolas, which tended to have no queues. Neither resort is exactly lively, though both have a few restaurants and shops to wander around. Worth a trip to Monetier for the baths.

Milky way: Essentially three main sectors with smaller villages in between. Links are a bit sparse, so getting around the full area is a bit of effort. For a family, Montgenevre is a good base, two mountains each a bit different from the other and in my opinion not quite as busy as serre che. Village has a reasonable though quiet range of shops, restaurants and other diversions. Monty usually has the best snow out of the milky way resorts. However, Monty is linked with Claviere in Italy, but the rest of the milky way is a bit of a faff, involving chairs down as well as up. Then there is Sauze D'oulx or Sestriere. I've not stayed in either, only skied through so cannot comment on them as a base. Both have nice flattering skiing, piste grading is a bit generous with most blacks being of the very easy kind. The links between Sauze, Sestriere and Sansicario are much better, so you have a decent sized ski area, without having to think about Claviere/Montgenevre. I found the Italian part of the milky way very quiet at half term, hardly anyone around, almost zero queues, other than on weekends when the local crowds decend.

So, Serre che has probably the better skiing overall, more interesting and better linked, with free bus, but will be a bit busier than the milky way area. Milky way area has more cruisy skiing, will be quieter and on mountain prices are a little lower. Both areas have tree lined runs and open bowls, they are very close to each other. Either resort would probably suit, I like them both for different reasons. Italy for the relaxed, friendly locals and italian food, empty pistes. France/serre che for the ski buzz, variety of pistes and better infrastructure/facilities.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been to both at half term in recent years. Queuing in Sauze d'Oulx is not a problem, but was a real pain in Serre Chevalier - the reason we didn't return. Prices noticeably lower in Italy. Snow record in the Milky Way is a bit unreliable, but shouldn't be an issue at Feb half term.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you carettam, for your brief report, thank you Hells Bells, for your offer. All this will go onto the mix when we discuss our trip and I'll get back to you one way or other.

Thank you others for adding to these comments.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy