Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mittenwald, Dammkar - how can you find out if it´s open?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I´m in Innsbruck at the mo, hoping to head over to Mittenwald later in the week.
Does anyone know how you can find out whether the Dammkar ski route is open? Been Googling but got nowhere.
Many thanks for any help.
Monsieur Neige
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try the lift company - Karwendelbahn AG, +49 (0) 88 23/93 76 76 - 0 • e-mail: service@karwendelbahn.de.

Failing that I would think that Samerburg Sue would know.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Musher. I´ve emailed them.
Samerburg Sue, if you see this, any info hugely appreciated!
It´s suddenly got pretty mild down here - Mittenwald will be 9 degrees on Thurs, so I expect there´s a good chance the run is no longer complete. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dammkar is currently open. Look here for details:

http://www.karwendelbahn.de/aktuelles/permanent/bahn_und_wetter

There is an option to switch to English though. The cable car is currently closed due to high winds - it is a really strong Föhn wind that is also pushing up the temperatures.
It was looking brilliant on Sunday when I was in the area by the way! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh thanks, Sue, that´s great.
Yes, here in Innsbruck it has suddenly got very warm and windy. Guess as long as it stays cloudy and doesn´t rain, we won´t lose too much snow.
Really hope I can do the run on Thursday. Will report back!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If the cable car is closed, I'm not sure how you are going to get up there! The Föhn is supposed to break down later today bringing in a change in the weather overnight.

Have you read the PDFs linked on the web site? The Sicherheitstips one explains the route using actual photographs to show you where you make route changes (such as they are as there is only the one route down!). The other document is the "get out of jail free" card for the Bergbahn!

There is no piste patrol or control, no grooming and no avalanche controls other than that which is a part of protecting Mittenwald.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, there are avalanche controls, at least last time I went there were. Nonetheless it can be dangerous. I very nearly got taken out by a big avalanche there a couple of years ago.
Neil Neige, with current conditions you should be able to ski all the way down. The last few Kms is on a path which sometimes doesn't have snow cover. When you get the Dammkar on a good day it's heaven. On a bad day it can be really really bad! When a friend and myself went up ( completey alone in the cable car ) and discovered that it was almost un-skiable with breaking crust over gloop all the way down, the lady at the lift station said 'sorry 'bout that' and gave us our money back!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, The PDF says that there are no avalanche controls along the Dammkar route itself. The controls that do take place are part of the Mittenwald protection system. If you remember back to 2005/2006 an avalanche from the Karwendel nearly took out part of Mittenwald-Mitte. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neil Neige wrote:
Oh thanks, Sue, that´s great.
Yes, here in Innsbruck it has suddenly got very warm and windy. Guess as long as it stays cloudy and doesn´t rain, we won´t lose too much snow.
Really hope I can do the run on Thursday. Will report back!

Foehn was blowing an absolute rager last night. There has still been some really good snow available in places, some of the shaded slopes around Kuhtai for instance (last Sunday at least, the Foehn may have screwed that up by now). Do you have any touring kit? If so it would be worth checking the Kuhtai area, and probably Axamer Lizum too (skin up from the Damanabfahrt/long blue to your right, I haven't been there in a while but that slope normally holds snow well, and the skin tracks should already be in place). Achensee too, again no idea what conditions are like now though. Sorry, don't know anything about the Damkar/Mittenwald.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the extra replies. It´s been another warm and windy day in the Innsbruck area. Axamer shut all their lifts at lunchtime, as Stubai did yesterday. Its been my least successful trip here to date!
One other question, does anyone know if there´s ski hire at the Dammkar cable car station? Sounds like it is sometimes so quiet there that there might well not be...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neil Neige, They have a freeride center at the Karwendelbahn base station, but it's not always manned. If you are coming over from Innsbruck you can almost certainly hire some gear in Seefeld along the way. Maybe also in Scharnitz though I'm not sure about that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi - thanks for this, Steilhang. I made it to the cable car station (last Thursday). It's an easy and well-signed walk from the train station (takes about 12 mins). They were testing the cable car and the Dammkar run. It was about 10am and they were thinking of opening at 11 but I couldn't risk hanging around, so jumped on train back to Garmisch and skied with my friends there. Got a bit of a back injury at the mo - was skiing blacks pretty easily but it sounds like Dammkar could be a lot harder.
Found out about ski hire - they have it in the ski school place right by Mittenwald station, apparently, so will know for next time.
That was my second attempt at doing the Dammkar - third time lucky, perhaps!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy