Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to avoid losing skis in the powder

Poster: A snowHead
[/b]How can I avoid losing skis in the powder? Puzzled

After a few unsuccessful hours searching for a friends missing ski in Val Thorens last season, I wonder what is the best way to avoid this happening again?

Any advice much appreciated. snowHead [/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Please ignore my poor spelling . . . it's been a long day on the hamster wheel . . . Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BrightonSki, the usual way is to use powder traces, long pieces of fabric that unwind behind the skis when they come off your feet

By the way I changed your title for you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The problem is twice as bad as I previously thought
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are your bindings set accurately? if you're spending a lot of time off piste in powder it is worth giving your bindings a tweak, as the risk from not releasing is offset by the potential risk from avalanche or frost bite whilst hunting for the lost ski (or from skiing down on one ski should your hunt be unsucssesful).

BTW welcome to another B&H snowhead, that makes 3 of us that I know of.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't fall over?

Hope that helps Wink

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Powder traces work, but are an absolute pain in the ass to use! Whenever you come unstuck you end up spending valuable skiing time tucking the damn things back in your boots. OK, yes you are thankful that one time in ten when your ski decides to travel off for a few meters under the snow at a tangent to your own arc of flight...
I am told that you can get hi tech transmitters that let your skis be found with your avalanche beep kit. Anyone got any experience here?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Lawrie wrote:

I am told that you can get hi tech transmitters that let your skis be found with your avalanche beep kit. Anyone got any experience here?

What would happen if you're searching for your best mate who has been caught up in an avalanche... and you find one of his skis?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look for the other one. I'm sure you best mate would have wanted you to have them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, depends. If it was a Metron B5 I'd start looking for the other one Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk, I believe that they're on a different frequency to the transceivers used for humans so that the two cannot be mixed up. It really kicked off on Teton Gravity when someone posted about taping an old human transceiver to his dog's collar.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Found one : http://www.wirelessalarm.com/NU660.htm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Found one : http://www.wirelessalarm.com/NU660.htm

Excellent - I often can't find my skis in the lunchtime ski rack, so something which calls out to me would be good! Wonder how effective the beeper is if your ski is under a couple of feet of snow?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ortovox used to make a "ski mouse" (or "ski maus" ). Small radio transmitters on your skis and a reciever that you carried. Similar in operation, but different frequencies, to avalanche transceivers. Googling for "ski mouse ortovox" found a 1999 price list at USD99 for two. Google also showed several people considering using them for finding lost dogs!

It is worth leaning how and where to search for lost skis. Know where you and the ski separated. The place you finish stationary in the snow is seldom that place, it can be ten meters uphill. Before you start stirring snow find the place where you and the ski were definately together and mark it, eg leave a pole there. Work out your direction of travel at that point and search from there.

The hard part for me is knowing where the ski and I separated. On untracked powder it is normally obvious. With well-skied powder it can be very difficult to distinguish my tracks from the rest. Hence making it hard to find the uphill limit of where to search. The fall normally starts a lot higher than I expected from my memory of the fall. Normally when I find the ski it is very close to the separation point and then I can easily distinguish where I fell.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BrightonSki, I have both powder traces and powder leashes. As Mike Lawrie says, if you fall over a lot then the traces are a bit of a pain to use (but I guess you at least get practiced at getting things back together). I would not want to use leashes if mixing off- and on-piste stuff, as having a ski clattering around your ears in a high-speed on-piste fall may not be too clever, but I now use them when going "back-country" or on seriously crevassed glaciers - when the consequences of losing a ski could be many hours (or even days) of hiking out. In these cases the advantage is not just knowing where they are but physically keeing the ski close to you - it's little benefit knowing where it is if it's at the bottom of a crevasse or over a cliff.

As Adrian said, try and track back up the line of your fall to see where your tracks stop. Often you will have lost one ski before the other so look for a double track turning to a single. Your missing ski will normally be within a metre or so of the end of the track, but it may well be deeper down than you think, so if you have one ski to hand use the tail of it as a probe (failing that try with a pole), slicing the snow perpendicular to your direction of travel until you hit something. With a bit of luck it's your ski.
latest report
Adrian, the problem that I have had on several occasions is that the ski travels on under the powder for quite some distance, and that it doesn't necessarily travel in the same direction that you go flying! The result has been that I have spent a whole hour searching for the ski, and once nearly got to the point where I gave up completely. Since then I have gone over to using the traces, but like I say, they are a pain in the ass to use.
snow conditions
Powder leashes. Attach yourself to the skis with them. Small risk of getting smacked on the back of the head but there you go.
snow conditions
I have seen people with powder traces streaming behind them as they ski. I guess this saves time if they plan to fall over and lose their skis many times. But they look untidy when they leave them streaming behind as they ski on piste!

If the ski travels a long way under the snow then it will be hard to find, so powder traces may be very useful. But as Graham said, "Your missing ski will normally be within a metre or so of the end of the track". So I stand by what I said about finding the point where the skier and the ski separated because that will help in many (perhaps even most) falls where the ski is not immediately visible.

Why would a ski travel a long way from the separation point and in a different direction to the direction before the fall? Perhaps because it hit something hard (a rock or some hard packed snow), was deflected and that caused the fall. So it may be good to find the separation point and study the snow just there.
snow report
David Murdoch, a colleague of mine nearly broke his back using leashes while ski touring. The ski came flying behind him and hit him right on the spine. I would definitely advise against using leashes.
Adrian, how far the ski goes under the powder obviously depends on the consistency of the powder, but in light fluffy stuff I have been amazed at how far they do go. I guess the direction thing just has to do with whther or not the ski is lying flat at the time of disconnect and also on just how parabolic the shape of the ski is. Again I have had some unpleasant surprises.
ski holidays
GrahamN's got it about right for me...
straps for deep snow and ties for the places where you just CAN'T afford to lose one.
And jack the bindings up a bit from normal as you wil be putting under a bit more strain so a pre-release is
almost as bad a late release. I find 8.5-9 works ok in deep stuff but not falling is even better.....!!
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie, nasty! Maybe I'll leave them behind next time...
snow conditions
I use trails. If you are on steep ground and you go over an edge you can end up quite a long way from your ski...

Here's a tip. Wear a webbing strap around each leg between the knee and the top of the calf muscle. It only needs to be gently snug - not tight. Tuck the mid section (so it is doubled up) of each trail up under the strap and drop it down over the strap so it hangs down the outside of your shins. It will still fallout from time to time but it's much less hassle than stuffing it into your boot or up your gaiter. Using this method I find the inconvenience justified - I once spent 30 minutes looking for a ski. It's not what you're aiming for on a powder day!

J
latest report
Dissapointed snowHead There's only one way to avoid losing skis in powder... don't ski it... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
One thing that we're missing out here is the feeling of satisfaction, when after 30 minutes of depth charging you finally find your ski again. Almost as good as getting fresh tracks for me.

Talking of long walks, I was skiing with Thomas, one of the guides with Piste to Powder in St Anton, and he told me about a day when he went off skiing the back country on his own, somewhere in the Arlberg, and broke both his skis one after the other. Fortunately he had his bivvy bag with him as he ended up spending two nights on the mountain before he managed to hike all the way out. He'd left instructions of where he was going to be, but for some reason S&R couldn't find him (needle in a haystack). He was quite matter of fact about it, telling me that the most dangerous bit was when he met up with his GF again and she nearly killed him.
latest report
Kramer,

That finding the ski feeling is brilliant, especially as whenever one of mine has disappeared, I have instantly needed the toilet, and finding the ski means light at the end of the impending wee-wee tunnel.
snow report
flicksta wrote:
That finding the ski feeling is brilliant

I was in an off-piste class once and we came across a guy who had lost a ski and had been looking for it for some time. He said he'd been looking for over an hour, and by the sweat on his face and fact that he stripped to his thermals it certainly looked like that was true. My instructor asked him if the obvious line taken down the slope was his, and then skied across to an area where the guy hadn't disturbed the snow when looking for his ski. The instructor kind of fished around with his feet, without taking his skies off, and within five seconds he had hooked the guy's ski and flipped it out of the snow into his hand. He threw the ski to the guy and then skied off without saying a word! It was a pretty impressive feat, and the look on the guy's face was just priceless!
latest report
Thanks everyone, i'll pick up a pair of powder tracers I think, would rather put up with the inconvenience of having to tuck them in boots, then the nightmare scenario of losing a ski!

Anyone know where I can pick a pair up online?
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, there's definitely a knack to it, that's for sure.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop%5Cactivity%5Cski%5Cequipment%5Cski_touring/products/EJJAY.htm

BrightonSki, it may be more fun to make your own than buy them. Two bits of tape, each about 2 metres long, you choose the colour scheme. Two bits of string. Affix a loop of string to the end of the tape. When wanted, fix string to skis. Make sure that you do not fix the traces where they will prevent the bindings from working properly.
ski holidays
Adrian,

Are you from Blue Peter?
snow conditions
The worst thing that can happen off piste is being caught in an avalanche.

The advice most guides I have skied with have given, is if the worst happens try and get rid of your skis so that they do not drag you under and try and roll out of the path of the avalanche.

Therefore the last thing I want is straps connecting me to my skis.

Lose my skis or lose my life? Easy choice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy