Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach TR...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Before I start I should say my spelling is terrible an my local knowledge worse so some vagueness regarding lifts and runs should be forgiven!!

Well myself and 3 friends are not long back from a four day trip to Saalbach and had an amazing time, largely thanks to the comprehensive guide given out by Tatman to his guests!!

Wed we flew from EDI-MUN and collected hire car and drove the scenic 2.5 hours to resort (thanks to Samerberg Sue for directions)
Arrived about 5 and by the time we had unloaded the car and parked in the multistorey it was just after 6pm. I found hansi's for my 2 skiing buddies and although they were closing he still gave us a schanpps and to call back first thing on Thursday which was no big deal.
Visited a few hosteleries and had a very nice pizza at Wallenders and an early night for day 1.

Day 1, we planned our day around where we wanted to end-up for the compulsory apres-ski and todays destination was Goatstall, so we spent the morning on the Schattberg side of the valley before dropping down to Lengau to swap sides and cover some runs on the other side. Lunch was at the busy but sunny Walleggalm then a good few more runs to end up at the goatstall for 4pm. We ended up staying until chucking out time and since the night was young danced on the tables of the London Pub in Hinterglemm until we had to eat and headed back to Hotel Peter in Saalbach for some great food, a quick pit stop in Bauers on way back for a night cap and that was that!!

Snow was good, harder in the morning and slushy late on everyday really!!

Day 2, after organising a replacement ski pass for one of my group thanks to the aforementioned table dancing in the London Pub we went on our merry way starting on the Kolmaisbahn heading up and down lifts and runs exploring this side of the mountain and down into Leogang.
Lunch was at the new Asitz place and the portions very generous and delicious. It had been so warm we required and apres apres beer so had a mid afternoon refreshment at the top of the schonlettanbahn before having a few runs and eventually catching the very Happy Hour at the Berger Alm. Don't miss this, buy one get one free and it's so hard to say no to schnapps. One double round of beer and Schnaps and it was a great wee run down empty freshly groomed slopes (the pisten bullys were already out!!) towards Hinteralgalm. Which we missed due to enjoying going downhill to much and forgetting to cut across!!
A few beers in bobbys was called for before a disappointing dinner in Mango's. I like Tapa's and have maybe been previously spoiled but none of our group enjoyed it. A detour via zum turm bar and the other one across the road and we were in bed ready for our last full day.

to be continued....

Joe

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-03-13 8:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 3, we fancied hecherhut for lunch today so started on the schattberg side and played around there before heading down the nice long blue 2b to take us to the schonletanbahn and up the other side of the valley. Had a few runs up there before dropping down run 68 for lunch.
A couple of flat bits that us boarders had to skate along but overall a great run and a lovely lunch.
Getting a bus back to the lift is a tad inconvenient but every 20 mins isn't that bad.
Back up the slow and standing schonletanbahn for some more runs towards Leogang and things were getting a bit heavy underfoot for the skiers so after the boarders has a few goes on the airbag at the Nitro funpark it had to be happy hour again at the Berger Alm. We stayed longer this time and covering pistes in dusk light is really quite an experience.
Then to the Hinteragalm. I'll be honest in that we almost never went in it was so busy but our conversation was overheard by a local who thankfully convinced us otherwise. One beer became many and the party and band were the highlight of the trip.
We also all managed to get down to bauers without breaking anything and lots of celebratory high fives with other successful skiers and boarders sent us on our way to get some food and a few more beers before bed.

Even though I've been before I found a lot more on the mountain with a few more years under my belt. Also big thanks again to Tatman for the appartment and excellent guide!!

Joe
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joe1978 wrote:
One beer became many and the party and band were the highlight of the trip.

Same here - quality night's entertainment at the Hinterhagalm Toofy Grin

Quote:
We also all managed to get down to bauers without breaking anything and lots of celebratory high fives with other successful skiers and boarders sent us on our way to get some food and a few more beers before bed.

Yup! That rings a bell too Laughing

Nice TR joe1978 Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the report. Good to hear the snow is holding up in the warmer weather.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jibber, it has only been warmer over here since the end of last week (Thursday was bloody cold but sunny and warm is a relative statement any way. This week is due to get quite "hot" even, then it is forecast to go back to winter around the middle of next week!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great thanks Samerberg Sue, just in time for our arrival!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
joe1978, Thanks for the report and feedback, Joe. I'm glad that my guide helped you find some of the hot spots. I may have to revise my recommendation of Mango's tapas however (although we do like the Cuban-themed downstairs bar in there). I'm so relieved that you didn't miss the Hinterhagalm party - some of our guests have been known to freak out and make a swift exit, because it comes as a bit of a shock when you first go in; however, as you seem to have discovered, if you stick it out for 10 minutes and let the general nuttiness seep over you, you soon get into the party spirit. It's a very special place, the iconic singer (Josef Solar) having performed in there every night of every winter season for the last 35 years - and he never fails to whip up a party-frenzy!

You seem to have got your timing right - although we've had a great couple of days of glorious, sunny skiing, the dreaded 'foehn' weather is now apparently going to be with us until next week, when we're hoping that the return to winter will present us with the dump of new snow that we've come to expect in mid-late March..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was so good that it got us chatting about chipping in for a place out there!!

Thanks for the TR feedback too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy