Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitters in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Chamonix in late March and need to get a pair of customized ski boots/liners as the top of my right foot has a protruding bone close to my ankle.

My left foot is a bit wider than my right foot. Also the middle toe on my left foot is almost permanently numb from my current ski boots: Salomon x100 with surefoot inserts which did not really make for a very comfortable fit but are very effective for heel and toe hold down.

Any suggestions for a competent boot fitter with a good selection of boots ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puffhead, http://solebootlab.wordpress.com/
One of the proprietors is a snowHead and is much recommended.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Puffhead, definitely SOLE. They've been my fitters for a few years and I've seen them successfully fit boots to some very difficult feet. They know their stuff. Phone/email to make an appointment.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In addition to Sole, I've often heard Sanglard (spelling?) come highly recommend
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More importantly we have this.......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Puffhead, CH2O is being uncharacteristically modest wink Toofy Grin Those bottles represent gifts from very happy customers showing their appreciation for the great fit and service the SOLE guys have provided. Other customers get to sample these gifts, of course!

CH2O did we discuss my commission?
Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puffhead, Jules at the Bootroom in Sanglard Sports, none better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, I don't think the SOLEbrothers have ever had the pleasure of working with your feet, perhaps prudent to reserve judgement until they have. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CH2O, I'm quoting from my personal experience, are you saying that you're better than Jules?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, It's not for me to say, but someone who has had the experience of both Sanglard and SOLE might be in the best position to decide. That is not you, at this moment. Little Angel
You'll have to excuse me picking you up on this, the thread title is our field, and for somebody to claim the best is "xyz" having no experience of our shop seems a little odd.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 5-03-13 9:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well since we have a lively argument starting already, can anyone tell me is there a difference to the technologies used by the different boot fitting outfits or is it mainly the experience of the actual boot fitter . If it is the personal touch that makes the difference can anyone give me some pointers about their favorite boot fitter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Puffhead, Our partners are NASA.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jules is something of a legend, first heard of him years ago and most recently when I went to SIDAS for training the instructor kept mentioning him. On the other hand, my local French skiman here in the PDS went all the way to SOLE for his latest boots based on their reputation, and talks about them a lot! It seems you're spoilt for choice...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Experience is mearly time passed if the brain isn't open to learning, your boots will be fitted better than my last customer, but not as well as the one after.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
George Best is a legend, not a patch on Lionel Messi though.
snow report
In truth, Jules and I are very good friends, we speak on a daily basis, and often discuss our work and clients. It can get a bit "edgy" at times, we often quickly turn to football when opinions are divided. I can only see that Jules, Damien, Seb, Niclas, Myself are all different people. We work "click" with people. At SOLE we often switch clients based on how the client and BF "click", we have many people that come and say they don't "click" with the guys elsewhere, and I'm sure (mostly because I can be an asshole) that there are many people that prefer to go elsewhere for that reason.
What I am 100% confident in saying however is that you will absolutley in no way at all will recieve an inferior product at SOLE compared to anywhere else in the world, bold maybe, but given the real nature of our work, it's not a wild boast.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Experience is mearly time passed if the brain isn't open to learning, your boots will be fitted better than my last customer, but not as well as the one after.

I like that line. So you work at Sole then, perhaps you fitted my colleague. I'm thinking of applying to Sanglard or even Snell next year, sole was there too but been advised they are unlikely to recruit full time. Got to find me a Mr Miyagi!

Oh, my mum would disagree about your George Best / Messi assessment...
ski holidays
CH2O, If you'd like to re-read my post I said that there was "none better" than Jules, not that he was the best. You seem to be agreeing with that statement.

Considering the OP has currently got Salomon boots, I would have thought that Jules's experience with Salomon would be unsurpassed?
latest report
albinomountainbadger, Yes we're full up next year i'm afraid, Sanglard are recuiting, as far as I know and would strongly recommend that if you want the best training, i'd apply there. As for Snell, they're a great store, but send us approx 10 clients per week when the going gets tough. Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

If you'd like to re-read my post I said that there was "none better" than Jules, not that he was the best. You seem to be agreeing with that statement.

No I'm simply saying that if you've never been to SOLE, how do you know there are "none better"

Quote:

Considering the OP has currently got Salomon boots, I would have thought that Jules's experience with Salomon would be unsurpassed?

How do you know what our experience with Salomon is/isn't? I'm afraid I can't elaborate, in so much as to say watch this space in 2015/16. Cool
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:

If you'd like to re-read my post I said that there was "none better" than Jules, not that he was the best. You seem to be agreeing with that statement.

CH2O wrote:
No I'm simply saying that if you've never been to SOLE, how do you know there are "none better"

CH2O wrote:
What I am 100% confident in saying however is that you will absolutley in no way at all will recieve an inferior product at SOLE compared to anywhere else in the world, bold maybe, but given the real nature of our work, it's not a wild boast.

Quite clear from your own statement that you say that you're as good not better, so why should I need to visit SOLE if I know already how good Jules is?

Spyderman wrote:

CH2O wrote:
How do you know what our experience with Salomon is/isn't? I'm afraid I can't elaborate, in so much as to say watch this space in 2015/16. Cool

It's a proven fact about Jules's Salomon experience, you're unwilling to outline yours for whatever reason, but I'm sure that the OP doesn't want to wait 2-3 years before he buys his boots.

Should I ever return to Chamonix I would be happy to visit SOLE out of curiosity to see how you do things, but at present CEM cares for my boot needs perfectly here close to home. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Quite clear from your own statement that you say that you're as good not better, so why should I need to visit SOLE if I know already how good Jules is?

I would suggest that the statement read, I have visited Jules, am very happy and to present I have not worked with better, that's to say I have never been to SOLE, perhaps they are better perhaps worse, but i'm not prepared to gamble and prove to myself that all these years i've been wrong/right.

Cheers, Bizous.

The rest I can't comment on, I doubt what I know would been seen as objective and Jules is a close personal friend and our competition. All I can add is that while you are right to push Jules as a good bootfitter, but please, "None Better" this you do not know untill you have further experience, perhaps someone with experience of both/all could make such a statement.
snow conditions
Silly argument about semantics. And, by the way, it was a pleasure to recommend you sight unseen, SZK.
snow conditions
FAntastic. May I know what is this Salomon experience everyone is mentioning ?
ski holidays
CH2O and Jules should jelly wrestle for title of best boot fitter in Cham.
ski holidays
All I can tell you is that I can't tell you NehNeh
snow conditions
But will you do the jelly wrestling thing? I could sell tickets (oh god, please it snow soon)!
ski holidays
Zero-G, Given your particular foot problem, are you the "Jelly" I would have to wrestle?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had boots fitted by Steve of SOLE about 6 years ago. Apart from a Rampant Rabbit, they were probably my best ever purchase.
ski holidays
If that was the case, it would be more wrangling than wrestling!
snow report
Frosty Did also you get the Rampant fitted ? By whom ? Was it a foam injection or thermo fit this time ?
ski holidays
Puffhead, I remember the fitting was very painful Shocked
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, your fitter didn't stroke you a little to relax you? Pffft...
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, did you forget your poppers again??
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, you knowledge on such matters is.......... unsurprising wink
snow report
CH2O wrote:
albinomountainbadger, Yes we're full up next year i'm afraid, Sanglard are recuiting, as far as I know and would strongly recommend that if you want the best training, i'd apply there. As for Snell, they're a great store, but send us approx 10 clients per week when the going gets tough. Little Angel

Thank you for the info. I'm hoping to pop over to Chamonix soon to visit some friends and do a little tour, perhaps I'll get the opportunity to visit your bar -sorry- shop too. Laughing
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Spyderman, It's not for me to say, but someone who has had the experience of both Sanglard and SOLE might be in the best position to decide. That is not you, at this moment. Little Angel
You'll have to excuse me picking you up on this, the thread title is our field, and for somebody to claim the best is "xyz" having no experience of our shop seems a little odd.

I've had boots fitted by both Jules-the-legend and his well preserved friend. They both talked about themselves an awful lot and they both fitted boots that hurt an awful lot. The difference is that while the legend never made the boots stop hurting, CH20 always has, for me and for all of the people I've sent his way. Still talks a collosal amount of poo though Toofy Grin . . . on reflection, the quantity may be tailored to the customer Very Happy
snow conditions
ww166no, en plus, i take myself way more seriously too, laughter is never welcome inside our walls.
snow conditions
ww166no wrote:
I've had boots fitted by both Jules-the-legend and his well preserved friend.

Tell us more about this well preserved friend!

ww166no wrote:
[CH2O]Still talks a collosal amount of poo though Toofy Grin . . . on reflection, the quantity may be tailored to the customer Very Happy

Nope, he doesn't discriminate. Some of my most amusing hours in this town have been spent in his shop.
snow report
Zero-G,
Quote:

Tell us more about this well preserved friend!

I believe that maybe me, google will help! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy