Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help wanted - planning a first time ski trip to Europe from Australia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snow heads. This is my first post here so be gentle!

I'm an intermediate skiier who's mainly skiied in New Zealand and Japan and has now decided to take the next step with a big Europe trip in 2014. I mainly need a bit of help with the timing of my trip as the whole Europe ski season and array of school holidays for different countries is all new to me.

To get a cheaper airline ticket from Australia to Europe / UK I can't really leave until 16 January. At this stage I'm planning to head straight to France, probably for a week at one of the Chalet type places. After that I'll either take the train to Paris for some sight seeing before flying out to Austria for a week at the start of February or head straight to Austria from France via train, maybe stopping for few days skiing in a Swiss resort on the way.

My main questions are about Austria. Is the first week of February a problem crowd wise for Austrian resorts seeing as some of the Austrian school holidays are then? Also, how easy is it to book accommodation in Austria (and possibly Switzerland) outside the usual Saturday to Saturday weeks that are easy to find everywhere on the net?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Raven, Welcome.

French school holidays are split by region but run mid Feb to mid March next year.

http://www.education.gouv.fr/cid66320/calendrier-de-l-annee-scolaire-2013-2014.html

Austria runs 4-22 Feb again split by region:

http://www.bmukk.gv.at/schulen/service/ferien/ferientermine_13_14.xml

Your suggested dates are perfect! Two weeks skiing split by a few days in Paris sounds great.

We've done lads trips around those dates and it can be really good but obviously mountain weather is a bit of a lottery. That said it would be most unusual if there wasn't good snow cover by then. Can be very cold and the days are still short but it is very much low season and you should get a good deal.

Only 10 months to wait then!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Raven Austria is very geared up for short stays - ie durations outside Sat - Sat. Lots of tourist office websites have their own online search & booking faclities. Alternatively, have a look at Hotels.com, Booking.com or Laterooms.com. You'll love Austria - mind Switzerland & France are pretty amazing too! What resorts are you looking at?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Mountainaddict. I'm looking at Kitzbuhel mainly at the moment but open to other ideas. Maybe budget wise it's not the best place to go.

Unfortunately my plans are somewhat on hold at the moment. There is a problem with getting my annual leave dates approved (for 2014!) so can't make any definate plans. I may need to leave a week later. I even had my chalet nearly sorted for Meribel Mad
snow report
 cran
cran
Mid Jan to Mid Feb is perfect...

After the Christmas/new Year crowds have left and before the Half Term school holiday crowds arrive...

Also there's usually good snow too Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy