Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this Legal? (Ski hosting)

Poster: A snowHead
I'd prefer a ski caddy, hefting a selection of skis. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Marmot wrote:
You don't need any qualifications to be a ski photographer in French resorts.

You never know...
Great idea though!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You've all missed the real point - it's not about the TO, they aren't doing anything. YOU'LL be the one running the ski club so if anything goes pear shaped legally in France it's YOU that will be at the pointy end of the legals:

"I will be given room and board for volunteering to run a ski club during the day. I will not wear company clothing but will effectively be a non paid ski host. This contract also says that it is acceptable for me to have another job to fund myself. Every hotel guest who wants to ski with me will join an English based ski club on arrival at resort and will be given a membership card."

Note - not a word about the TO being involved in anything. It's not going to be a contract of employment, it's going to be a contract for the provison of services i.e NOT an employment contract. Only advice I can give would lead to solution that cost money which would prob be un-economic given the subject matter.

Quote:

true - I think - but I believe you need a license to operate as one and they are limited.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
emwmarine wrote:
I think you might need Joséphine Karlsson to defend you if you get caught.

but it'd be worth it to be handcuffed and questioned by Laure Berthaud... Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WayneC wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

but it'd be worth it to be handcuffed and questioned by Laure Berthaud... Very Happy Very Happy

Rumours are that Laure and Karlsson might become friendly in the next series. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Marmot, not more bloody photographers on the slopes! wink wink wink wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Marmot, I know of some operators who use exactly that premise for "ski hosting"...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevomcd wrote:
Mr Marmot, I know of some operators who use exactly that premise for "ski hosting"...

Great. My idea seems to work, then.

Why don't all the TO's use this sort of 'scam'? It's just bending the rules and not breaking them. It's sort of like tax avoidance being ok, but not tax evasion.

Let the French spend money going through the legal system whilst the Brits just look for dodges. Britain's reputation for fair play makes us an easy target. Let's start being as sneaky as everyone else!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:

Quote:

true - I think - but I believe you need a license to operate as one and they are limited.

Surely they can't license everything just for their own benefit. We are all supposed to be in the same trading organisation, for heavens sake. And it surely has laws about restriction of legitimate trading. I can just about see their argument about skiing qualifications. But photographers don't get work because they qualified, they only need someone who wants them to take a photograph. Anyway, my photographer idea doesn't require them to 'punt' for work on the slopes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

All of a sudden this becomes a risk well worth taking
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Marmot,

Quote:

Surely they can't license everything just for their own benefit

{laughs hysterically]
{chokes}
{laughs out of control some more}
{falls on the floor, spasaming with laughter}

You lot are great - do you really think the locals will just sit there and do nothing if you stick a camera around a guide's neck????? Apart from anything else, what happens if the guide starts getting asked for photo's by people outside the group??? Regardless of anything else, a 'photographer' needs to be 'correct' from a French tax/VAT/NIC equivalent POV. Chummy won't be, so he'll get nicked for something more serious than guiding - tax fraud. There's also the competition from the organised photo guys who don't like any one muscling in on their game.

Any more advice or shall we just shoot him now and save him the grief?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A blog on the subject

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really admire the French in the way they dont give a s h i t what anyone else thinks & they
Look after themselves first Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells,

"hung-over 19 year olds with 6 weeks skiing behind them and a scant knowledge of the lift, pistes or 'specific mountain environment' seems to be the norm, according to my guests."

priceless Very Happy

the stories about the ESF 'regulators' I had heard before and that was what I was hinting at above.

That guy writes with a great deal of good sense and the fact that he is on the side of the 'Code' makes me think it is even more of a lost cause - when our friends the French think they have the moral AND legal high ground, restraint is the last thing one generally sees. The fact that an informed English bloke agrees with them over this really is the nail in the coffin.

What actaully makes me most angry is the TO that the OP might be working for. Apart from risking lives by sending out guides with little or no prof training, they now seem to be in the game of pushing the guides in to a situation where they could get into real trouble in France. I think the TO should be named and shamed. OP, over to you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kesone1 wrote:
Mr Marmot, Nice!!!!! Perhaps a ski butler would work.

Ski Butler, love it Laughing

Have to include that somehow in my usual summer post.
latest report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I think the TO should be named and shamed. OP, over to you.

You're pushing the OP to reveal his/her employer's name ... and therefore to reveal to the employer their whistleblower's name. That's not right - the person has a right to maintain their anonymity indefinitely.
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, I don't think naming the TO is going to help.
snow report
Fair enough - but if no one's going to do it then a lot of other naive youngsters are going to be thrown into bear pit (or 'Ors 'ole', as the say over there), s'all I'm saying.

Also Comedy Goldsmith, I beg to differ - naming the TO does not name the OP, I bet they are trying to shaft dozens of former guides.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Mr Marmot,

Quote:

Surely they can't license everything just for their own benefit

{laughs hysterically]
{chokes}
{laughs out of control some more}
{falls on the floor, spasaming with laughter}

You lot are great - do you really think the locals will just sit there and do nothing if you stick a camera around a guide's neck????? Apart from anything else, what happens if the guide starts getting asked for photo's by people outside the group??? Regardless of anything else, a 'photographer' needs to be 'correct' from a French tax/VAT/NIC equivalent POV. Chummy won't be, so he'll get nicked for something more serious than guiding - tax fraud. There's also the competition from the organised photo guys who don't like any one muscling in on their game.

Any more advice or shall we just shoot him now and save him the grief?

Gives a wry smile and thinks another big-mouthed know-it-all smughead treating people with contempt on this forum. It might be a better place if you f**ked off somewhere else.
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
A multi million pound company like TUI will have had their lawyers checking what they can and cannot do.

I've worked for multi-billion pound companies whose lawyers had **** for brains, so I wouldn't guarantee it.

Regarding the OP the French courts can do exactly like the UK courts and look at the real nature of the contract which is clearly that you are being paid and one of your duties is leading.

stewart woodward wrote:

If you do get arrested do not answer any questions without demanding a representative of the British Consult is present. That should shock the local police wink

You don't have to answer any questions at all if you don't want to. The police only have to notify the embassy, you don't have a right to a representative. Unless they are after a ski holiday I doubt anyone is going to make the trip from Paris or Lyon to see some ski rep.

Given that the controls are rare - only two court cases since the law was amended in 1999 you might just decide to continue repping but be as discrete as possible about it.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Unless they are after a ski holiday I doubt anyone is going to make the trip from Paris or Lyon to see some ski rep.

Hmm… now there's a career!
snow report
Thanks again for the responses. Again it looks like it's not a good idea, I doubt I would get caught but its not worth doing in case I do.

As for the name and shame.
I'm on here to ask for help so that I don't break the law, I have no plans in getting anyone else in trouble.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy